Feel bad getting a sub...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Shiloh17, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Apr 12, 2015

I am in my second year of teaching and I have not missed one day of school. I feel so bad calling in sick. I was in the hospital due to a infection in my stomach, the Dr. told me to take off on Monday and Tuesday. I have not missed one day of school. I feel badly...I know this is very silly. Wondering if anyone has ever felt this way?

Thanks..

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2015

I don't know any dedicated teacher who has not felt guilty calling in. Your students will be fine. You just work on getting better!

4. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Apr 12, 2015

I hate calling in sick, too, but it sounds like you have a very legitimate reason. Take care so you can be at your best on Wednesday. :)

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

Don't feel bad. Call in sick. Take care of yourself.

6. Rhesus

Rhesus Comrade

Apr 12, 2015

I often feel bad or self-conscious when I call out sick too, which Idon't do too often. It doesn't help that my department colleagues are judgmental and always make comments whenever someone is out.

Oh well. Sometimes it's necessary.

7. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Apr 12, 2015

I feel bad when I call in, also, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

No one calls your name at an assembly at the end of the year for perfect attendance, so assume that sick days are there to use when you are sick. Honestly, after a hospital visit, my school would require a medical clearance to return to work. Since your doctor said no work Monday and Tuesday, you wouldn't be cleared, therefore it would be a mandatory sick day. I have spent the last three weeks with pneumonia, and I have to go get a medical clearance letter to go back on Tuesday. I would feel bad if playing hooky, but being sick, hey, I am grateful for the sick days, and subs will hold it together one way or another.

Be better, and be well before going back.

9. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2015

I've taken only two sick days in my 11 years - not because I think it's wrong, just because it is often more work to miss class on late notice than power through a cold.

Those two days though I was really sick and didn't hesitate to miss. In both cases it was absolutely the right decision. Don't let your routine of being there regularly get in the way of what is doing best for you physically.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 13, 2015

I hate it too.

But I'm using a sick day to go on a trip this year. (Our sick days and our vacation days are the same--and I actually haven't taken any sick days this year because I haven't gotten sick! *knock on wood*). I feel slightly guilty, but I figure, they're mine to use how I want, and the admin isn't supposed to ask questions as to how you use it.

One teacher openly said at a staff meeting she was going to be "sick" at Disneyland. LOL.

11. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Apr 13, 2015

If the doctor said that you should take it off, I'd take it off. I feel the exact same way as you (first year teacher, yet to take a sick or personal day...in fact, in my maternity leave position I also didn't take any, and took about 2 sick days over the course of 7-8 years on/off in retail)...but I'd probably draw the line at what the doctor is saying. Not silly at all to feel that way, that's the compassion in you!

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Apr 13, 2015

Yep. We have the same policy.

13. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2015

So this section really jumped out at me and I'm not sure I'm reading it right. Did you not take maternity leave or did you cover for someone on maternity leave and didn't take days off or is it something altogether different?

14. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 13, 2015

And at Shiloh...

I kind of get why you feel that way! Now, I'm a big believer in taking days off when you need to, but when you got a nice beginning of a record of perfect attendance going on... it probably is frustrating to call in sick!