Feedback on 15 min demo lesson

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Gryphonic, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Gryphonic

Gryphonic New Member

Jul 6, 2012

Hi all! This is my first post on this forum but I've been following threads here for months and have seen so much great advice!

I was hoping you would be able to help me out too!

I have my first teacher interview (ever- I'll be hired on as a district intern then complete my credential over the next 2 years) next week for a RSP position at a middle/high school. I was asked to prepare a 15 minute demo lesson on an 8th grade ELA standard (I called out a CA standard and the corresponding Common Core Standard, so the committee knows I'm up to date on the changes that are coming). I'll be doing the lesson with 3 8th grade students who "may or may not have IEP's".

I plan on doing a lesson on identifying and interpreting similes. I'll start with a short review of figurative language and why we study it. Then the students will listen to (and follow along with the printed lyrics) to 3 or 4 verses of Uncle Kracker's song "Smile". They will highlight similes as they hear/read them. We will share as a group and brainstorm what the literal meanings of the similes are.

In the last 5-7 minutes of the lesson, using a provided word bank (though if they want to work without it, I will allow it), each student will create a couple of similes of their own and provide their literal meaning as well and will share with the group.

The creation of their own similes is the assessment portion of the lesson. I just feel that 15 minutes is no time at all. Does this sound like a good demo lesson?

I have it typed up in a proper lesson plan format, if anyone wants to take the time to look that over (I don't blame ya if you dont!).

Thanks for your feedback!

3. Mathemagician

Mathemagician Groupie

Jul 6, 2012

I'm no ELA teacher, but that sounds fabulous to me for a variety of reasons. The song is a great example and I am sure the kids will enjoy it! By playing the song and giving them the printed lyrics, you are differentiating. The same can be said of the word bank. It sounds to me like a very wise use of your limited time!

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 6, 2012

Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about cramming everything into 15 minutes. The committee understands that this lesson will take longer than that time. You cannot model, GP, and IP in 15 minutes (especially in 8th grade). If you have a typed up lesson that is great!

Are similes too easy for 8th graders? I know that simile is taught in 4th grade around me and usually my sixth graders have a good handle on the term.

5. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

i love this lesson!!! best of luck!!

6. Gryphonic

Gryphonic New Member

Jul 6, 2012

This is for a Special Ed position and they didn't give me the ability levels for the students. Also, similes are covered starting in elementary school but continue to pop up in the standards yearly after that, we are just expected to use grade level texts. I didn't want to use a poem or prose passage because I'm not certain all 3 can really read well. Figurative language is something I've noticed special ed students often have trouble with.

7. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 6, 2012

when i student taught the class before me was an 8th grade english class and i remember them doing similes and poetry. I think you are correct in choosing a song. i think that the students will be able to connect to it better and have an easier time understanding it.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 6, 2012

I think it sounds great and similes also tend to be a really tough topic for ESL students in middle school.

9. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Jul 6, 2012

I think it sounds awesome. Good Luck.

10. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 6, 2012

This sounds really neat! Good luck!