Feedback for Letter of Resignation

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BioAngel, Jan 12, 2020.

1. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 12, 2020

On Monday I shared that my husband and I have plans to move out of state to be closer to his side of the family (my parents are entering retirement too and are thinking of maybe following along - plus the cost of living is much cheaper than where we currently are). I've never had to write a letter of resignation before, so I would like to ask for some feedback. I work at an independent Catholic school and we have a family feeling within our community, so I hope my tone conveys how this is a loss for me and how thankful I am.

Can you please let me know if I should add, change, edit something? Thank you!

----

Dear (Headmaster),

This letter is to inform you that I will be resigning from my position as the Lower School Science Teacher at the end of the 2019 – 2020 school year following the faculty and staff in-service days. As I finish out the school year, I’d be happy to assist the administration with the transition in any way possible and I’ve shared with (Principal) to please reach out to me if I can be of any assistance as the new science teacher takes over.

The ten years that I’ve been at (School) have been a wonderful experience – personally and professionally--- and I’m thankful for all the opportunities I’ve been able to have to work alongside the administration, faculty, and our families. I will greatly miss working with our students in the Lower School. This was not an easy decision for me to make, although I am excited to be moving out-of-state to be closer to my family as they enter their retirement.

Thank you for the positive support you have provided during my time at (School) and I wish you along with the rest of the (School) community all the best.

Sincerely,

BioAngel

3. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jan 12, 2020

Forgive the crappy grammar - I'm not feeling well today and I'm pretty anxious about sending this. My P already knows and my headmaster knows too - this is just a formality but it is a huge step for me. I'm leaving with no plan besides a possible location of where we'd like to move (hubby will transfer his job no problem at least). Not sure if teaching is in my future - I've done scheduling and registrar for a few years now and love it, so an office job might be something for me to look for.

4. viola_x_wittrockiana

viola_x_wittrockiana Comrade

Jan 15, 2020

I would shuffle the second paragraph to right after, ". . . in-service days," and then do the offer to assist in transitioning to a replacement as a separate paragraph.

Since you admins already know, "This letter is to serve as official notice of my resignation effective (insert date) . . ." sounds better.
    Overall, it's fine as is. It meets the requirements and covers your bases of when/why you're leaving.

vickilyn likes this.