Feast...famine....

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Mar 26, 2010.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 26, 2010

Dang it! I accepted a two-day sub job at the state preschool for Monday and Tuesday of next week. Then I got a request for a kindergarten job for Monday at another school.

This is the second time I've been requested for kinder at this school. I have no idea why they're requesting me, but I'm glad they are. The school is in my neighborhood. But, to give up a two day job for a one day job in the same pay period where I lose a week due to Spring break....not sure what to do.

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 26, 2010

Go with the first job you accepted. That is the moral thing to do.

4. Subber

Subber Companion

Mar 26, 2010

Keep the one you took first especially since it's two days.

5. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Apr 15, 2010

My sub jobs are always first come, first served. Even if I like the second one better. Canceling out a sub job is the kiss of death.

God directs my steps. I always end up where He wants me, even if it's not my first choice.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 15, 2010

I'd say the money & what you really want to do come first, so (hopefully), it's the 2-day job in your case.

I'll be honest though. If I got called for a job & took it, then got called for another job on the same day (for the same pay), but I knew for a fact that my day will be easier money, I'll cancel the 1st job & take the easier day.

7. waffles

waffles Companion

Apr 16, 2010

I can understand canceling if you were requested being bad. But is it really that bad if you just saw the job online and accepted it? Because the way I see it, unless the teacher knows the name, you're just a random person who was coming and now isn't so a different random person is coming in.

I've actually canceled on a teacher who requested me before. Someone else asked first (like days earlier) and the teacher I canceled on just went on the computer and requested me. If she had asked I would have told her I wasn't available.

My wife has also had to cancel on a job where she was requested. Although I think that hardly counts since the teacher requested whichever of us was available and I went instead of her.

I wouldn't worry about showing loyalty to a job you just picked up online. But I would stay with guaranteed two days instead of one. Although if you have my luck it wouldn't matter and if you went with the one day job you'd get something for the second day anyway.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Apr 21, 2010

WOW! Thats a GREAT way to look at it, but what I was going to say before reading this is how rude to cancel for something better thats not fair to that teacher or aide. Now lets say you got the 2day job and did not respond yet and the one day job comes along and you choose that then its fine!