Fear of RIF-ed after a year...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsTeckel, May 23, 2012.

1. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

I know theres some people on here that would love to be hired for one year...

But how do you get over the fear of being let go after a year in a public school?

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 23, 2012

I don't know if you ever do until you reach tenure status...I was nervous every year of being let go if the budget failed and because my P had it out for me. Thankfully I tried my best and it worked...I've now been in my current job for 8 years. :)

But on the plus side, even if you only work for a year, its a year of experience that you have to discuss on your next job search (as I did after a full year maternity leave ob my first year).

4. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

Im special education...soon ECSE

So if you're doing a great job, and you're clicking with your principal..you're in better shape then if your principal hates you.

Its difficult when i read all the horror stories of being rif-ed or non-renewed on here

5. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

May 23, 2012

Well, in this economy it happens a lot more than it used to. But you just have to do your best and have faith that things will work out the way they are supposed to. I loved the school where I worked as a maternity leave sub and was bummed when they had no jobs for me and I had to search again. But that one year of experience helped me land my other two offers and then I had a choice. It worked out in the end for me, and it will for you too if that situation happens.

If you worry too much about the "what if's" you won't put as much focus on your kids. :)

6. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

May 23, 2012

I think you just have to let it go and enjoy the year. I would have been RIF'd my first year- the only thing that saved me was that another sped teacher in the district that was tenured ended up moving away anyway. I was the only non-tenured teacher so it would have been inevitable. I'm moving to a new position next year where I could very likely be RIf'd- but I just think of it as having another solid year on my resume, making me an even better candidate for the next job if it comes to that.

7. MsTeckel

MsTeckel Comrade

May 23, 2012

i haven't got into a public school yet (still in non-public). Im letting my fear get the best of me.

I just need a back up plan (savings, knowing unemployment laws and so on) just incase

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 24, 2012

You really cannot get over that fear. It's just trying to do your absolute best and keep up a great relationship with everyone that you can.

9. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

May 24, 2012

I got RIF-ed this year after being in the same school and position for 12 years. Board members publicly acknowledge that my co-worker has been dropping the ball and doesn't do the work, but because he has been there for 15 years, he still has a job. The super didn't even have the guts to tell me I didn't have a job anymore. He left a letter on my desk and stopped me in the hall and said "I left a note on your desk." When I told a board member what he did, he told them that he talked to me about it and he didn't just leave a note. So he is a coward and a liar.