Fear of Flying

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TiffanyL, Sep 26, 2009.

1. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Hello All,

Okay, so I am an accomplished woman who has worked very hard to get where I'm at. I feel confident and in control of my life 99% of the time. :cool:

I am terrified of flying, however. So much so, that I haven't flown to Houston to see my family in over 3 years (even bought tickets last year and then canceled them).

I am flying out of the state in October for a 4 day conference. Already, my anxiety is increasing.

I know deep down that I am controlling and that my negative childhood contributes to my issues with releasing control and putting my life in the hands of someone else (I am also very claustrophobic).

Any tips for dealing with this anxiety. In my career, I obviously must overcome it! :unsure:

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Sep 26, 2009

Can you have your doctor prescribe a mild tranquilizer like valium? Lots of people take it before flying. Just schedule your flight so you can go to the hotel that evening and sleep before the conference.

I've dealt with anxiety attacks in the past, and once you let the symptoms start, it's very difficult to get them back under control. The key with flying would be to take the valium before you get to the airport so it's working before you board the plane.

Once you've flown a few times with the valium - forcing you to relax - you might be able to break the anxiety cycle that your fear of flying causes.

And, I always ask for an aisle seat so I don't feel pinned in between other passengers.

4. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

I hate to fly too. I don't like that I am not in control. I have to fly next week and I am dreading it! Last time I flew I listened to my ipod the whole time and got a people magazine to read. I also get an aisle seat and I sit at the back of the plane. I like to be close to the bathroom. Irrational fear.
    Valium sounds great!!

5. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Sep 26, 2009

I flew last year to Hawaii and a couple of years ago I flew to Japan. I am also terrified of flying so what I did for both of these two trips was bring something with me on the plane that calmed me and was my good luck charm. It really helped to calm me down. I didn't want to take any drugs or drink (like my husband did).

6. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Thanks guys!

I have some Xanax and I think I will bring it with me as a security blanket but try not to actually take it.

I like the idea of bringing a comforting item, reading material, etc.

I truly will feel ill the week before I leave, I just know I will! And.....I hate this about me!! :mad: Makes me feel like such a baby!

7. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Statistically, they say airplane flying is much safer than when we're in a car.

I like flying because it means I'm either going somewhere fun or I'm going home which I usually am ready for after a vacation.

I believe in visualization about how you want something to go. In other words for you to feel more calm, see yourself in your airplane seat as a calm (etc etc )person. Get excited about seeing your family and how happy you'll be to see them!!!

I use Rescue Remedy in water if I'm feeling anxious. It's perfectly safe and it calms your mind without feeling "drugged". That's why I like it. I keep it in my purse for times when my mind gets overwhelmed by stress. You should check it out and see if it works for you on a day before your trip.

I also like magazines, music, water, and napping!

8. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Okay, thanks! I just ordered Rescue Remedy from Amazon. I will try it when it arrives. It sounds like that might be a blessing and help me manage.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

My naturopath doctor makes her own batch some how from the mother tincture and she says it's very similar to Rescue Remedy.
    http://www.rescueremedy.com/
    I also recommend that you look into desensitization for your fears by working with a counselor/psychologist. I don't know how many sessions it'll take you personally but I learned about it in my psych. classes when I was in college! It's for any kind of "phobia".

It's all in how you perceive information so you can get "over" this.

I'm excited for you that you're going to go see your family. Again, focus on visualization with everything going so smoothly and relaxing and thinking about your family when you get off the plane!

I grew up flying often since my dad works for the airlines so I think it's true that the more you do something, the easier it is, like it, etc....

10. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Sep 26, 2009

Unfortunately, it is not to see my family. :( It is for a conference. I DO need to go see my family as well!! Yikes!

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 26, 2009

I'm not crazy about flying either & if it were up to me, no flight of mine would last longer than an hour, but I'm not going to not see the world & stay at home. I'll just have to pray & keep going. Definitely bring reading materials to keep your mind occupied. Can people use DVD players & laptops? I assume so, but I've been on flights where they wanted all cell phones & other electronic items off during the whole flight.

I personally don't want to ever have to resort to meds, but I guess if one has that severe an anxiety, he/she may want to try it.

12. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Sep 27, 2009

Can you figure out what specifically scares you the most? It helps me to listen to music, be on the aisle so I don't feel trapped, have a soft scarf or something to hold and cover me up, concentrate on where I am going, and get up and moving on long flights. My problem is not being able to sleep on long flights (18-24 hours by the time I get to where my dad lives). At least I am not taking small children anymore! Tylenol PM helps but I don't like the way I feel when I wake up.

13. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Sep 27, 2009

I have an intense fear of flying - havent flown since my first flight the wknd before 9/11!

Try this website http://www.fearofflying.com/

They have a counseling program that is really supposed to work, at least browse the message boards to see what others are saying.

14. Sep 27, 2009

Hi Tiffany,

First, I'm an airline captain and a licensed therapist who has helped people overcome fear of flying for twenty-eight years. Here are some of the things I've learned.

Tranquilizers can backfire. They reduce anxiety on the ground by shutting down reflective function, the ability to see inner conflict. When flying, you need to be able to observe and critique your thinking. For the person whose imagination runs a bit wild when flying, tranquilizers can feed the fire and make it hard - if not impossible - for the person to recognize their fear the plane is falling out of the sky is imagination.

Research with a group of anxious fliers, half of whom took meds and half of whom took a placebo, found those who took meds had ten times as many panic attacks during flight than those who took the placebo.

Rescue Remedy works only if you believe in it.

Desensitization? How can you do that? Desensitization requires starting with a slight exposure, and increasing it so slowly that the increase isn't noticed. With flying, you are either flying or you are not. That doesn't lend itself to desensitization.

Then what works? Someone mentioned visualization. There are ways to get visualization to work, but the procedure is complex. Barbara Benham, a columnist for AOL, has written an article about how this works which you can find by searching using the terms: barbara benham fear of flying

15. kalli007

kalli007 Companion

Oct 1, 2009

Hey how did that happen? I was talking about someone and then they appeared! Weird!

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2009

Welcome aboard Capt Tom..... I have a fear of flying in a helicopter at tree top level with a tail rotor damaged by machine gun fire....... What can you do for me?... Thanks...

17. bros

bros Phenom

Oct 1, 2009

You might want to try something like Ativan.

It's a heavy med, but it should work. But it might be too... strong for your purpose (It has every single effect of a Benzo)

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 2, 2009

I flew to NY not long after 9/11, but I didn't have any more fears or worries than if 9/11 hadn't have happened. My mom used to take blessed oil w/ us to put a dab on our seats & pray before a flight, but w/ security restrictions regarding taking liquids, etc., my mom didn't do it this last time we flew last month.

19. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 2, 2009

I flew on a Logan Air plane once...bloody thing looked world war two-ish and flew low over power lines...nothing but a curtain between you and pilot....harrowing!!!:eek:hmy:

20. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 3, 2009

Took a school trip to Germany many years ago and one pupil asked which aeroplane was ours. When the kid saw it it was a prop he was shocked...I calmed him by saying..."well at least you know the engines are working" !;)

21. Major

Major Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2009

Looks like Capt Tom has left us....... just when I really needed his help.........:p:p

Capt Tom, when I was 8 years old I jumped off the top of the garage while using a sheet for a parachute........ It didn't work. what did I do wrong?........:lol:

22. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Oct 4, 2009

My fear is THE AIRPORT LOUNGE , I always end up buying a book and a tie....clearly a dangerous place if you ask me !