Fear of bombing another interview

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by sunshine24, Jun 20, 2014.

1. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 27, 2014

sunshine24 that is a nice leave behind item ......Good luck!

ETA: Did they give you a time frame of when the person they pick would hear from somebody?

2. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

vateacher: Thank you! I'm still hoping for the best, but am definitely preparing for the worst. I have been so cranky and irritable since the interview. The only reason I am sorta hoping still is that they are hiring at least 4 teachers, I believe. So, maybe I wasn't the best but maybe I wasn't the worst either? IDK, it's driving me nuts not knowing where I ranked. I am carrying my phone everywhere with me and checking my emails every half hour lol.

As I was leaving, I believe they said I would hear back by the end of the week. But then after I left, I thought they could have said the end of next week. I was so nervous from being flustered and the 2 hour wait that I wasn't paying attention properly at that point. Plus, they kind of just threw that in as I was handing out my materials.

3. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 27, 2014

LOL! I think you may get this, they need perhaps 4 people and if they look at what you left behind they can see that you are more than capable of doing the job......I hope they didn't expect the candidates to be at their best after waiting 2 hours. I would have been drained and tired by then and who knows how I would have answered any of the questions being asked.

4. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) It ain't over till it's over lol

Exactly! I'm nervous to interview on a good day. After waiting 2 hours in a dark, hot, unairconditioned hallway (it was over 90 degrees outside)...I was more than drained to say the least.

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 27, 2014

^^^
    I would have also looked a mess by then, makeup runny, hair limp etc etc lol

6. trying 2 B TCHR

trying 2 B TCHR Rookie

Jun 27, 2014

This could have been a post written by me...I thought I was the only one getting messed up in each and every interview....the last interview panel...I knew all the interviewers. That was the most embarrassing part..flustering, mumbling, complete loss of words....needless to say - I did not get the job. I came back home and went over all those questions and wrote down all the answers. At least I have something for the next time....if there is any. I cannot say if I will ever stop being the nervous wreck I am but I want to try and hopefully somebody will call me for an interview.
    I am not sure if there are any answers in my post...but I understand.

7. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

trying 2 b tchr: Hi. I know exactly where you are coming from. I practice and practice and know all the main talking points that I want to hit; yet, when asked a question in an interview, I completely fall to pieces and lose every single train of thought. It is so frustrating, isn't it? And despite all of my efforts to remain calm and breathe, I cannot control the way I become once in the interview room.
    I do the same things with writing down some questions from previous interviews. I have them all typed on my computer with answers that I rehearse before an interview. I wish I could say that it has helped me, but I really don't think so.
    I, too, keep hoping that one day I will be able to get through an interview and get a job offer. But, I am truly beginning to doubt it. My self-confidence seems to be shot and I am just praying that some more interviews pop up over the summer. I desperately need something full time come September.
    Good luck in your job search :)

8. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 27, 2014

Sunshine24- don't ever give up! My best friend was quiet and shy and struggled with interviews. (I am really struggling as well, which is a new hurdle for me!!) She is currently working in one of the best districts in our state and has tenure there. She ended up getting a long term sub position and was hired full time after that!

9. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 28, 2014

hep223: Thanks! Your friend's story is encouraging :) The job market is just soooo tough here that I know my poor interview skills are really hurting me. But, I'm hoping that I make a great impression on someone soon.

10. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 28, 2014

It is the same here for me. I was a good interviewer before I got into teaching and it seems that I am missing something in my interviews. We will make a great impression and get a job! :)

11. heatherewf

heatherewf Rookie

Jun 29, 2014

I can completely sympathize! The last interview I went on, it was a 3-question interview for a district I have been dying to get into (I did some field work there as an undergrad and some subbing a few years ago as well). I stumbled a bit in my first response and just couldn't shake that I had already flubbed the whole thing. Sure enough, rejection letter the following week. =\ I've had 6 interviews over the past couple months - 5 rejections and one I'm still waiting to hear if I'm getting a second interview or not. It's so tough!

Did you hear back from your interview yet?

BTW... whoever suggested looking up teacher interviews on YouTube - what a great idea! I'm off to do that now lol

12. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

heatherewf: I still have not heard back yet. I think they said by the end of the week (Friday or yesterday?). It's driving me crazy...I feel like I will get a rejection email but the not knowing for sure, is making me a bit hopeful.
    I hope that you get good news from the school that you are waiting to hear from and I hope that you hear something soon :)

13. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 29, 2014

I understand the frustration of waiting, not knowing and hoping.

I have tossed and turned in my sleep all weekend waiting for Monday (this upcoming week) to get here and praying that I get that call that I finally was the one chosen, lol.

I want this process to be over so I can focus on my plans, organization and my classroom with plenty time to do it in.

Good luck to everyone.

14. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 29, 2014

Praying for offers for all of us that are still waiting! Fingers and toes crossed :)

For anyone still reading this thread: Since I am pretty sure that the panel said I would hear back by the end of the week (which was Friday or yesterday), would it be acceptable to shoot the principal an email wondering if a hiring decision had been made? I don't want to come off as begging, but I also want them to know that I am VERY interested in working for them. I figured I would send an email tomorrow night or Tuesday morning, since the 4th of July is coming up at the end of the week? Is this acceptable or will the principal just find it annoying? Also, is it ok to put something about how I am still preparing for their school (i.e. gathering materials for ELL students, researching courses to take relevant to their school)?

15. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 29, 2014

sunshine24 I would shoot out a status email Monday morning since you interviewed last Tuesday.

I am not sure how the schools are there but here most divisions are only open Mon-Thurs in teh summer so Friday no one would have been there. My interview was Wednesday (2) and one said a decision would be made next week and another said end of last week BUT HR would be doing the calling and not the school so I generally give HR time to get the info from the hiring school and then wait for HR's call since they are also hiring for other positions and schools it may take a while.

16. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 29, 2014

Hi! I would send a status email- it keeps your name in front of them. :)

17. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

Thanks for the replies about sending a status email. I will probably send one today, although I am thinking that if it was good news (and an offer), they would have contacted me already. But, I just want to know one way or the other at this point.

18. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

Update: I emailed the principal this morning to inquire about a hiring status update. I still have not heard back! I am sure that she is very busy, but the waiting is torture. And now that I am also waiting for a response to the status email, I am really miserable lol. I am literally checking my emails every 10 minutes and am desperately willing my phone to ring with an offer (crazy I know lol). Hope is fading fast here...

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2014

I really hate hearing these stories during hiring season.

I wish administrators would remember what it was like when they interviewed for a teaching job.

I wish we lived in a dream world where every graduate received a job in their chosen field.

20. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jun 30, 2014

Not crazy at all I am feeling the same way and willing my phone to ring with an offer as well...now that the work day is over I am wishing tomorrow hurries and get here. lol

21. Kelster95

Kelster95 Companion

Jun 30, 2014

You never know when the call will come. For the job I just got hr called me on a Tuesday morning at 7:20 wanting one more current reference letter and said she would be in touch once she got, she called me back at 6 that night with an offer. I had been on the interview so long ago that I didn't even remember what position I had interviewed for, hr lady emailed the p to get exact job. I declined the job the next morning as it was self contained ed, which I was uncomfortable with. The next Monday hr called me back the p had asked her to better explain the position which wasn't actually self contained and I accepted.

22. eternalsunshine

eternalsunshine Rookie

Jun 30, 2014

Teacher Gii and vateacher757, sorry for the late response. The youtube videos really helped me--not to come up with answers, but to know how to "present" my answers. I just typed in elementary teacher interviews on youtube and looked at some advice ones from principals. But the one that helped me the most was an interview from a girl that was doing Teach for America. Just to clarify, I am not doing Teach for America. What helped me about her interview was that her answers were very complete. Most of what she says is what most of us would say, I'm sure. They were pretty much by the book answers, but the way she made everything come together helped guide me in formulating my answers.

After doing all this I had a really strong interview. Probably my strongest ever. I got a demo lesson, which went fine. But it was not the best lesson I've ever done and I did not get the job. :( So back to the drawing board for me. ...This is so frustrating.

Hope the videos help you!

23. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jun 30, 2014

swansong1: I wish that this was Facebook so I could like your post lol. Those are my exact thoughts. I know that they must be extremely busy and this principal is getting a new school started up for September, but don't they remember when they were just starting out? Don't they remember the agony of waiting to hear back from an interview? Drives me nuts!

vateacher757: I am hoping that you get good news soon too. Or just answer either way. Nothing is worse than the not knowing and I'm sorry that we are in the same boat :( I'm pulling for you though.

Kelster95: Thanks! I am trying to think "no news is good news" and "it aint over till its over", but my self-confidence is just shot and I am desperate for a job. I really hope that the whole process is just taking longer than expected.

I still have not heard anything back from my email this morning. Whenever I have previously emailed this principal, she has always gotten back to me (it may take some time, but always some written response). I really don't know what to make of the no response: am I out and she doesn't want to break the news or has a decision not been made and therefore, she is saying nothing? I really don't know. My nerves are shot and I am so uptight, constantly checking my email. I thought I would have at least gotten a "the positions have been filled" type of response from her, but nothing?! The more I am waiting, the more I want this job lol. Everywhere I go, I see things that would be perfect for this new school and my classroom and yet, I am completely stuck in limbo here :(

24. hep223

hep223 Companion

Jun 30, 2014

I got a general email last week for a position I was waiting to hear if I would would be called for a 2nd round interview, letting me know the position was filled. At the time I was upset that I didn't even get a call about the position as I am a parent in the district and a good friend of the HR admin assistant. Today I got an email from the HR director that was a reply to the status email I sent. She told me the position had been filled, wished me luck starting my career and offered the option of subbing in the district at any time. I think it was noted that I took the time to show I was interested in the job by sending the status email.

Something else I learned today- most districts where I live do not let all candiates know they are not getting the position until another candidate has accepted the position. This way if something falls through they can go back and ask the priors to come in for another interview. Bad for us who are waiting, but good for the district if they need a plan B.

Hope this helps!

25. sunshine24

sunshine24 Comrade

Jul 1, 2014

hep223: I can certainly understand your being upset. At least someone did reply to you eventually though. I wish everyone would send a simple quick reply just so you know that someone is taking the time time to consider what you send them.

I hate when people don't let you know for sure if you are out. I have been in situations where I never heard anything back and I just learn to make peace with it. But this time, they said I would hear back either way, so I think that is what is driving me really crazy! You would think that out of the 5 people on the panel, someone could contact those who interviewed with yes or no. I just wish I knew if decisions were made and offers sent out or if they are taking longer than expected?