Fear of 3rd Grade

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MsBee, May 22, 2009.

1. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 22, 2009

Okay I will be honest. I have seen a lot of third grade positions available...but I don't want them.
    I have a fear of 3rd grade. The grade and the students!!
    I am certified to 3rd grade but have NEVER had any experience with 3rd. Been in a third grade classroom once and it was totally different from anything I have seen with the younger grades.
    My school did not prepare us for 3rd grade. Not even one practicum.
    So therefore I am afraid to take that chance to teach 3rd grade. I know they get into the curriculum really heavy and detailed and they are given grades. But this is all I know.
    I know its a job but I feel I will be incompetent as a teacher at this level.

Anyone feel like this with a certain grade? Is third grade any different?
    BTW....I went on that interview almost 2 weeks ago for 1st grade and have not heard anything yet. Although I was not interested in it I would still like to know something.

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

May 22, 2009

I've never taught third grade but tutored some. I would say, "Fake it, 'til you make it." They are not THAT much different than 1st graders, just a bit more independent. You might like it once you get there, ya know? The only thing to dislike about third grade is testing. There are high stakes testing everywhere in 3rd grade and it stresses people out!

4. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 22, 2009

That's another thing. Don't know anything about the testing. I think I would fail as a first year teacher in 3rd grade and then the testing added.

5. AFWifeinUtah

AFWifeinUtah Comrade

May 22, 2009

I have subbed in 3rd grade and done practicum there and I LOVED 3rd. I wanted 3rd so bad when I started teaching but instead got kinder. They seem to have a little bit more independence than first, but they are still young kids that like coloring, they love to talk and are very social, and you could make lesson plans from the books they have available and the standards that the state has set. As for testing, it's always going to be there. If it is anything like the school I have subbed at this year, they had practice materials available to help prepare for the tests. Plus, I'm sure you'd be on a team.

As for the question of being scared of a grade? That'd probably be 6th for me. I have and am and still will apply for 6th grade positions and if I get an interview, I will thank my lucky stars and go interview for a 6th grade spot. My experiences with 6th have not been very positive but I tell myself, "they are just kids and they'd be my students so it'd all be better."

Good luck and don't be afraid to apply. You might love them!

6. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 22, 2009

I am not an elementary teacher, but have had two DD go through elementary grades and have some best friends that are elementary K & 2 teachers SO - my DD recieved real grades in 1st & 2nd and IMO there is very heavy and detailed curriculum in 1st & 2nd -they are learning to read and math. Again, just MO you would run into these things you mentioned as scary in the 1st and 2nd grades.

So, I don't think you should limit your job search by not applying for 3 grade positions - I am sure you would strive to be the best teacher you can be as either a first grade or third grade teacher :)

7. Bridget

Bridget Rookie

May 22, 2009

I am in my second year of teaching 3rd grade and I love it. I always did want to try a higher grade, but for now I really do love 3rd grade. I'm pretty scared of teaching Kindergarten or 1st..I wouldn't know where to even begin! I always said I would never go lower than 3rd...3rd was even a stretch for me at first, but it's great now!

8. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 22, 2009

I'm so afraid to even try it.
    What if it comes time for testing and they all fail because of me!!! lol

9. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 22, 2009

First - I am quite sure all your students wouldn't fail -

Second - hopefully your potential students would be coming from some incredible 1st and 2nd grade teachers that have given them a wealth of knowledge and taught them how to be great thinkers :)

Again, I don't teach 3rd grade and I know there is a tremendous amount of stress place on 3rd grade teachers - but I know you would more than capable of being a great 3rd grade teacher.

If nothing else, maybe the 3rd grade position will get you a better position for your second year of teaching.

10. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 22, 2009

I know how you feel. I had practicums and student teaching ONLY in 2nd and 4th. I felt unprepared to teach in any grades other than those! At first I was deathly afraid of 1st (the huge responsibility of teaching students to read) and I was intimidated with 4th and 5th.

To be honest, subbing has helped so much with this! EVERY grade has positives and although I thought I would never want to teach above 3rd grade, I love the content in 4th and 5th because it is more challenging to teach and I love how independent the kids are! I wouldn't be afraid of teaching 3rd if you feel comfortable teaching 2nd.

The testing is a big responsibility, but you're not going to be doing everything all by yourself! You will have a grade level team to work with and other teachers with experience to learn from. I had a first year teacher during my 3rd grade year, as a student I loved her. Did she know everything she was doing? Probably not. Was I scarred for life? No. =)

11. scott connuck

scott connuck Rookie

May 23, 2009

Not to worry!

As a veteran teacher of 24 years and having taught just about every grade 1,3,4, middle school, (I even tested ELD kids for language at the high school), I can honestly say that 3rd grade is one of the most desirable-- not that any grade level is easy, just that in 3rd kids are young enough and sweet enough to still love school, love their teacher and be respectful as well.

Having said this, it is also necessary to state that no college course can ever prepare one for all one needs to know on the job. If teachers need any one attribute, I would have to say that attribute is courage (as well as a good deal of flexibility!)

When I was a student in the college of education (back in the stone age), teacher licensure was a lot easier than it is today--I had already had a Master's degree in music at the time and had taken the minimal necessary coursework to become certified to teach music (K-12) as part of the university's SECONDARY education college. The college assumed that I would never teach at the elementary level, and therefore I had not taken any elementary method's classes-- NOT ONE! My major professor stated at the time, "You will never teach elementary grades, right?" Since I didn't want to take additional coursework, I told him that I was only interested in high school.

Well, as you recall, my certificate was in Secondary Education-- but my music endorsement said I was eligible to teach music K-12! And wouldn't you know it-- an elementary position opened up-- AND I TOOK IT! (I had not stepped foot inside an elementary school prior to this time since my own elementary years!) BUT-- that first year I was a sponge, and went to as many workshops and in-services I could find. After my first year on the job, the principal told me that I was the best music teacher the school had ever had!

But I didn't stop there-- eventually I went on to get my elementary classroom teaching certificate, my ESL endorsement, as well as a second Master's degree in Educational Leadership. But the point here is that NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN POSSIBLE HAD I NOT TAKEN THAT FIRST ELEMENTARY SCHOOL MUSIC JOB!!! COURAGE! You can do ANYTHING you set your mind to-- so go out there and succeed!

Best wishes,
    Scott Connuck
    4th Grade Leadership Team
    Nogales Unified School District

12. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

May 23, 2009

Very well said, Scott and I venture to say that there is fear at teaching every level. It is the fear of the unknown. No matter what grade you teach as a new teacher, you have to learn the curriculum and the state's standards. I know that there are some grades that some could not teach. For me, I could not teach above third grade. It's not because of the test, but because of the student's attitude at that level.

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 23, 2009

You know nothing about 3rd grade.

So it's like a brand new ice cream flavor.

Maybe you'll hate it and swear off it forever.

Or maybe you'll decide it's the best thing ever!!!

You've been really discouraged here about the job search. But now you say there are jobs available and you're not even applying, simply because of fear of the unknown????

Come on!!! Give it-- and yourself-- a shot!!!! Don't you think you're at least as good as that other brand new teacher they'll eventually hire for the spot???

14. frogger

frogger Devotee

May 23, 2009

I student taught 3rd grade, did a lot of my subbing and experience with lower grades up to 3rd grade. But guess what? The jobs out here were 5th - I didn't have much experience with the grade at all but I did it now 2 years.

15. applecore

applecore Devotee

May 23, 2009

Oh, I hope you apply for the 3rd grade position. I just got hired on as a 3rd grade teacher for next year and I'm nervous as all can be, but there's great support for new teachers. That's one area I would stress asking the school with any grade you interview and apply for any ways. Best wishes!

16. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

May 23, 2009

You sounded like me last year, except I was upset I was offered a 5th grade position, when I really wanted 3rd :) I ended up reluctantly taking the 5th position and actually ended up liking it! Fifth graders are so much more independent, but they're still babies deep down...I think that's how you'll feel about 3rd grade! I think 3rd grade is great - I would love to go back sometime. That's where I student taught. The only thing that's not so great about 3rd is that it's the first year that's heavily tested (at least in my state).

17. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2009

Well, when I was told that I had to move up to fifth (after having only taught kinder), I was also terrified and mortified. BUT, I got over that and began researching right away, here, the internet, fellow fifth grade teachers at my school, and I began to feel better. I felt like I wasn't as clueless. I got some great ideas, and my first year in fifth was awesome! I can't wait to one day teach fifth again! :)

It's super scary of the unknown. I hear ya! But, if you start researching and looking at other third grade teachers websites, I'm sure you'll start to feel better. Oh, and the testing part scared me too, but I'm sure they did great, in the end. :)

18. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 23, 2009

Hmm.. Good advice everyone. I can def say that yes I want a job. But its just the fear of the unknown.
    I'm going to go ahead and apply and see what happens. Not that I would never teach 3rd but for my first year it makes me nervous.
    I'm just coming out of college so I don't have all the confidence in the world right now. Although I have lived on my own for years and have been out in the "real world" this is really it. The REAL world.
    I'm going to apply. I will let you know what happens if anything.

19. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

May 23, 2009

Oh man! Let me tell you, when I first graguated from college, I was terrified!!! I didn't even know about this site until a year later, so no helpe in the beginning for me.

I did my stduent teaching in kinder and fifth, but having a teacher right there with you, is not the same as being in complete control of your class.

When I started my job hunt, I also subbed at the time, subbed at an all year school. One sub assignment was in kinder, and it was HORRIBLE! I said that I would never teach kinder again. Well, a few weeks later I got a call from another district asking if they would like to do a quick interview as they needed someone stat. Of course it was for kinder. I was terrified, but like someone said, fake it until you make it. So, I went in, exuding confidence, but on the inside, I had no clue what I was going to do. Oh, and the interview was on a Friday, and the job started on a Monday. Anyways, that year in kinder was, and still is, my most favorite memory. They were awesome kids and not only did I do my best to teach them, but they really taught ME how to be a teacher. I went on to teach kinder for three more years and fifth. And all of the years that I taught really went well. Yes, I"ve had some stinkers and many sad stories, but boy, am I glad to have become a teacher.

20. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 23, 2009

Peachyness that does sound like me...but can I really fake it in an interview.
    I don't even know if I will even know some of the curriculum myself. lol
    I'm extremely bad at math so that scares me as well. What will I do? lol

21. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 23, 2009

Third graders aren't that scary. Apply and see what happens. Just think that at the beginning of the year, they'll be pretty much the same as end of year second graders and then throughout the year you'll grow right along with them.

22. MsBee

MsBee Devotee

May 23, 2009

Jessica26-Thats a great way to look at things!!!