Fayetteville,North Carolina

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, Jul 27, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

So I got a call from a principal in Fayetteville,NC last friday to set up an interview for a 4th grade position. I set one up(phone interview) today for Wednesday. The thing is I don't know if I'd want to move. I said I would, I mean I obviously am considering it because I applied there. This principal is so nice and even asked me about the job market here and she also mentioned something about already talking to my references, I haven't evwn interviewed yet! She was talking about how she just hired a teacher from Michigan and another New Jersey and that she had this 4th and a Kindergarten open but wanted to interview me for the 4th since I was an IA last year for 4th.

Basically I'm writing this to see if people know about the area, the schools, would a 23 year old like it out there? I mean I guess it's promising that a lot of ppl are coming from out of the area and I do have an aunt and cousin in Greensboro. I think I'm also unsure b/c I am waiting to hear about some stuff here in Indiana...which seems promising. But I know I can't count on that until I have a contract. I told myself I'd be teaching this year no matter what but now I'm starting to worry about the possibility of picking up and moving,even my stepdad laughed and said you wouldn't move to NC....granted I know I should just take it a step at a time but this lady seemed like she wanted to hire me. She wasn't even interviewing me and we still talked 10minutes....

Words of wisdom for me anyone?

3. Jobsearching101

Jobsearching101 Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I'm no help- I'm just as confused as you are!

4. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Well good to know I'm not alone!

5. Jenstc2003

Jenstc2003 Companion

Jul 27, 2009

I'm another one seriously considering a move to NC after graduation. And Fayetteville is a pretty good sized town, as memory serves... you should find everything you'd want there. It's a matter of how comfortable you'd be moving that far from home, I'd say. Good luck with your interview!

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2009

All I know about that area is that it's home to a military base so if you're single....:whistle: lol

If you have family close by, I think that would be better than knowing no one there. Good luck!

7. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

HAHAHA!!!!! That got a laugh out of me. I am single and after a job getting a man may be the next step :cool:

My aunt and cousin live 2hrs away according to mapquest...I'm hoping I'll know more what I want to do and how I feel after the interview and in the meantime I'll hope and pray that the job around here I'm waiting on calls

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2009

My daughter wants to move there and is trying to talk me into going. I have heard it is a wonderful place!

9. Señora Lorenzo

Señora Lorenzo Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

I lived in Fayetteville for a couple of years and taught my first year of high school there. What school is it? (If you don't mind me asking). Many of the schools are good schools with very few that are below par. I really like the students where I was teaching even though it was consider a rough part. If you are on the side of Fayetteville wher Ft. Bragg is located, you will get to interact with tons of different types of students, which keeps it interesting.

I still have family in Fayettevill so I visit a lot. It isn't too big nor too small. It is about 3 hours from Charlotte and an hour or so from Raleigh.

10. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Senora Lorenzo I pmed you

I'm not too worried about the specific school b/c I'm use to teaching fairly inner city so I think I'm pretty much up to a challenge if it is a rough area!

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Okay - I am currenting living in Indiana and F-ville is about 20 miles from what I consider my hometown where all my family lives. I would hestitate to call F-ville a good size town if you are currently in Indy, Evansville, Fort Wayne, Lafayette, Bloomington or similar size city. If you are currently in Terre Haute, Vininneces, Columbus or similar size town, they would be comparable. F-ville is an army town so you will more than likely be dealing with children whose parents are in the army. This is usually a great thing because typically military parents are very involved in their childrens education, demand respect and discpline to teachers and care about their school. However, this also means you will be dealing with children with some pretty heavy issues such as mom, dad and maybe both parents being deployed to some pretty scary places. Although military families typically move in the summer, there will still be a lot of students leaving and moving in all during the school year. For instance, I moved to a new base in April of my Junior year of high school. I would love to teach around military bases.

Weather wise - again depending on where you are in Indiana, the most remarkable change will obiviously be winter. That part of NC gets cold, but not Indiana cold. They also don't get much snow but they get a lot of ice storms. You usually don't have to worry to much about being out in the ice because if it just LOOOKS like there might be an ice storm, everything closes :) Summers are the same temperature wise but A LOT more humidity. I really forget just how humid NC is until we go back for vacation.

The best part - the people!! F-ville is a typical southern town, welcoming, friendly and helpful. I love that area!!

Hope this was helpful :)

12. Señora Lorenzo

Señora Lorenzo Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

INteacher, I love the area too! I guess that is why I am there almost every weekend. Even if I don't go to see family, I go there for shopping.

13. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Thank you INteacher...I live in the South Bend area so decent size area obviously. And I went to school in Bloomington.

I really appreciate everyone's perspective b/c I know different people like different things. So keep the info coming if you have it. I think I'm more worried about making friends and such in F-ville then teaching the types of kids that will be there. I'm just about up for anything when it comes to the kiddos. I'm young (23) and want to have friends my age and I know NC attracts a lot of younger/first year teachers. It's just such a big decision...

I think I need to stop jumping ahead of the game, interview first then get an offer then worry about it all....I'm just a big thinker tho :)

14. Señora Lorenzo

Señora Lorenzo Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

You shouldn't have problems meeting new people. I know when I was a new teacher in that county, they required us to attend new teacher professional development workshops. This was a great opportunity to meet different people. I started going out dancing alone and met friends this way. They also have a very good dance studio where many different people take class (if it hasn't changed) and I met several friends there.

15. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 27, 2009

Also, F-ville is only about 70-90 minutes from the "coast" as NC'ers say, and as Senora Lorenzo mentioned earlier, about the same time distance from Raleigh/Chapel Hill/Durham. F-ville will be smaller then South Bend, but in my opinion, lots and lots of things to do in the immediate area.

As a military kid and wife, I found there was ALWAYS opportunities to meet new people and it was up to me to find those opportunites. I think if you go into a new situtation with that kind of attitude, meeting new people is easy :)

Good luck

16. Butler's Bunch

Butler's Bunch Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

Well I live about 30 mins. from Fayetteville and there are teacher jobs posted with DPI. ALOT of local counties have laid teachers off because of the budget. Yes, we still do not have one.............. I have been teaching for 11 years and believe me the grass is not always greener on the other side. I love N.C. but the economy is taking its toll on us too~HARD!! I have friends still looking for jobs. Good Luck, we start school back in 3weeks.:dunno:

17. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2009

Good luck!