Faxing Schools

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by AmyB, Mar 10, 2009.

1. AmyB

AmyB New Member

Mar 10, 2009

I have heard the schools in my area respond best to faxes, so I wanted to try it this year (I tried email and hand-dropping off last year with no success). Question is anyone do this and what all do you include? Cover sheet, resume, cover letter, letter of recommendation? And if you use a cover sheet, what does that include? I feel like fax is such an old-school technology, and I don't remember the "etiquette" of it, but I'm willing to try it.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2009

I've never faxed a school my information. To me, there is no guarantee that the right person will get it, or that the pages will come out clear.

I think it is better to drop them off in person because it shows that you took the time to get dressed up, get everything together, and drive down to the school to make sure the school got your information. And they get to put a face with a name.

4. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I have faxed applications on occasion - usually when that is what is requested.

I include a cover sheet, cover letter, resume, the application, and any other documentation that is requested.

I do prefer to send the resumes/applications by email because, as STG said, I can be sure it gets to the right person. And hand delivering them is a good idea too, although I have never done that.

5. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 10, 2009

Ok, this is from left field because I haven't worked in a school office, and the last time I worked in a school...well, faxes were only in hospitals and government offices.

But i'm thinking logically here. (BTW... I agree with the thoughts so far...clarity of copies, wondering if the right people get them, etc.) When you fax you are using THEIR paper/printer/ink and then saying give me a job. That's more hutzbah that I would take a chance on. - Just my thoughts.

6. newteacher08

newteacher08 Companion

Mar 10, 2009

Most schools now days do NOT want paperwork. A lot of schools want an online application or an email. I would only fax my paperwork if the job posting said to fax it....

If you do fax it you need a fax cover sheet, cover letter (could be on the cover sheet), your resume, and any other documents they requests.....

7. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I would not fax unless the school requested you to. I just think it would be odd. Generally there is only a few fax machines, so someone is going to go make copies and find your faxed application. Are they going to deliver it to HR or are they going to put it in an unclaimed pile.

I would say apply on line, hand deliver, or mail (generally with a phone call as well).

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Mar 10, 2009

Now, this has been a while ago, but a friend of mine actually did this! (By the way, she is nervy as all get-out...)

She sent her resume to a principal, had a friend scribble a note on the front of it before she faxed it. It addressed the principal by his first name (it was a unique first name, so there is no way it would have been delivered to the wrong person.)

It said:

Marshall,
    Here's the resume I said I'd send. She's great! Snap her up if you get the chance.
    -Jim

(Names changed)

Of course, there was no Jim. But Jim is a very common name, and anyway, to make a long story short, the principal called her and set up an interview!

Amazing!

Now I couldn't do something like that. As far as I know, the principal still doesn't know...

Yep, she got the job.

9. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Mar 10, 2009

Struck between a WOW and a laugh.

That ceratinly is creative.

But didn't the principal ask her about who Jim is? You know it's going to come up at the Christmas Party. hahaha

10. FlGirl

FlGirl Rookie

Mar 10, 2009

PP thats what I was wondering!
    I wish I had the guts to do something like that!

11. mego65

mego65 Comrade

Mar 10, 2009

I could never do that and then I would always be nervous about it coming out. Wow!!

12. allisonbeth

allisonbeth Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

Be careful about faxing. I am sure that schools that only allow teachers a small number of copies each year would think poorly of faxed resumes. ("You can not copy your spelling list for a parent because someone faxed us her resume.") :eek:hmy:

13. TampaTeacher2Be

TampaTeacher2Be Comrade

Mar 11, 2009

I think it depends on the District. In mine, the only way that resumes are accepted is by fax. If faxing is customary in your district, I say go for it.