Favourite Authors?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Canadian Gal, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 17, 2009

The Twighlight thread got me thinking. Who are your favourite authors? I love to read (I can't imagine being a teacher who didn't like to read, but I know we have a couple on staff lol!) and I have a lot of favourite authors.

Fantasy Teen Fiction - Tamora Pierce, hands down

Teen Fiction - Ann Brasheres

Inspirational Fiction - Wanda Brunstetter or Beverly Lewis

Romantic Historical fiction - Julia Quinn or Lisa Kleypas all the way, though Bertrice Small used to write some really good stuff

Historical Fiction - Jean Plaidy though her books are no longer in Print, or Philippa Gregory

I also enjoy Stephen King and a ton more, but my bookshelves are in another room!

3. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 17, 2009

Wally Lamb
    Barbara Kingsolver

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

I'll read almost anything!

But I love Jane Austen, Stephen King, Agatha Christie, J.K. Rowling, Nelson Demille, Joan Didion, Arthur Miller, Mark Twain... sheesh, I could keep going!

Oddly enough, I don't really care for romance... and I hate Jane Eyre. Yes. I'm an English teacher and I HATE IT.

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 17, 2009

The only reason I read romance is because I find a lot of historical fiction too dark and dreary. I like a little fluff and happily ever after. I never read contemporary romance novels - just the historicals!

6. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Apr 17, 2009

LOL... I think I might BE a dark and dreary person :D

7. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 17, 2009

Oh I'm all dark and twisty on the inside lol (my friends insist that I am Meridith Grey - the teacher version), so I like my reading material to be light and fluffy so that I avoid the dark place. (Sorry another's Grey's reference - I just watched all four seasons on my break!)

8. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

I'll have to look into some of those authors.

I definitely like fantasy. Authors that I like in this genre are Robert Jordan(recently passed, great series, 11 books long, not finished), George R.R. Martin (very gritty medieval style, 4 books long, not finished), J.R.R. Tolkien (who'd have guessed?), Raymond E. Fiest (a few coterminous series, good read), Salvatore (High fantasy, a bit fluffy), and there are others.

I like historical fiction, Louis LaMour wrote a fantastic 12th century novel called The Walking Drum.

9. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 18, 2009

Wally Lamb--hands down. I just wish he wrote more and put out books more often...then again, they might not be as good as they are if he shuffled them out faster.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Apr 18, 2009

:agreed:
    Anita Shrieve
    Laura Ingalls Wilder :)
    ..others I can't think of right now...

11. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

Mary Higgins Clark, Robin Cook

12. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 18, 2009

Securis - Tammy writes teenage fantasy, but her stuff is wonderful! All of her heroes are girls, or sheroes as she calls them. I just finished her latest book yesterday, and it was great! (Not her best work in my personal opinion, but this is the first series she's written from the first person, so....)

13. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

I'm a big fan of Tim O'Brien, Chaim Potok, W. E. B. Du Bois, Langston Hughes, Laura Esquivel. My favorite genre of books are those that are somewhat autobiographical and somewhat fictionalized. I also enjoy books that have an aspect of social commentary in them.

14. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2009

Laura Ingalls Wilder is definitely still my favorite author! I also love Louisa May Alcott and I've been starting to read Elizabeth Gaskell and I really enjoy her books, too.

15. Writer's Block

Writer's Block Companion

Apr 18, 2009

Tim O'Brien spoke at a conference I was at in February. His books aren't my particular genre, though I have heard they are incredible. His speech, however, was amazing. He was by far one of the most awesome speakers at an English Teacher's conference I have heard in a long time. He stayed late and did a book signing. One of my friends I was with loves him, and she had him sign her book. Then the next day, he saw her and came up to her to ask a question from their conversation the day before...you would have thought she was meeting a rock star! She was completely star struck by him.:p

16. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Apr 18, 2009

Jodi Picoult
    Paulo Coelho
    Patricia Cornwell
    Sue Grafton
    CS Lewis
    Tom Robbins
    Anita Diamant- The Red Tent

17. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 18, 2009

Madeleine L'Engle. . . Lenora Mattingly Weber. . . L.M. Montgomery. . . Phyllis Whitney. . . and a quadrillion more.

I love Jane Eyre so much that I learned it by heart, but I never liked Wuthering Heights. The song is kind of catchy, though. :)

18. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2009

Mamacita-I LOVE Jane Eyre..I have read it so many times I think the binding is torn :) I want to see the musical becuase I have heard a few of the songs and they are great.

I also am a fan of Jodie Picoult, Jenifer Wiesner, nicholas sparks

19. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 18, 2009

James Herriot
    Cynthia Voigt
    Anita Shreve
    Luanne Rice
    Torey Hayden
    Richard Bach
    Jodi Picoult
    Louisa May Alcott
    L.M. Montgomery
    Sophie Kinsella

20. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Apr 18, 2009

I've heard him speak as well. I was so inspired I absolutely had to go up to him and tell him. I relate so deeply to his books and related even more deeply to his speech.

One of my favorite quotes by him is "...and how the sound of the bullet comes ten years later..." from his book "The Things They Carried." This quote sums up how humans process trauma. I also love how he makes the distinction between happening-truth and story-truth -- another concept that really speaks to how humans experience trauma. And yet at the same time his books are truly universal -- even his war stories have themes that can reach every reader.

As you can see, I'm fascinated by this man. And much like your friend, I was star struck when I met him.

21. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Apr 19, 2009

If you have been following the book threads on this site over they years, you probably already have an idea of what's coming. Here are some of my favorites in no particular order.

Jodi Piccoult (I'm reading Nineteen Minutes and really struggling with it)
    Charles Todd (classic mysteries, fantastic character and plot development)
    Jane Austen
    Madeline L'Engle
    John Jakes
    Joseph J Ellis
    William Goldberg (what I can find of his anyway)
    earlier Grisham (after The Testament I really lost interest in his legal thrillers, I have yet to look into his other stuff though)

22. AspieTeacher

AspieTeacher Comrade

Apr 19, 2009

favorite authors

J.K. Rowling (Harry Potter of course)

Mark Haddon "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time"

Alexander Key "Escape to Witch Mountain" (1968)

Dave Pelzer "A Child Called It Series"

Peter Walsh "organizer extraordinaire"

Katherine Patterson "Bridge to Terabithia"

I love all books that are inspirational, especially books by people who have learned to accept their limitations especially other Aspies!

23. iheart5thgrade

iheart5thgrade Comrade

Apr 19, 2009

Karen Kingsbury--her Baxter family books are amazing! Ashley Baxter Blake is my favorite character.

Beverly Lewis---who knew the Amish could be so exciting?! :)

LM Montgomery--Anne of Green Gables will forever be my favorite series. I want to marry Gilbert Blythe.

24. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2009

I forgot about Beverly Lewis until you mentioned her! I love all of her books especially the Abram's Daughter's series.

25. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Apr 19, 2009

If you like Beverly Lewis, you'll LOVE Wanda Brunstetter! She also writes about the Amish, and I love her books as well.

26. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Apr 21, 2009

I agree with a lot of the authors already mentioned, so I'll just add a few new ones:

children's: Susan Cooper, Diana Wynne Jones, Rosamunde Du Jardin, Edward Eager, Louis Sachar

YA: Ellen Emerson White, Lois Duncan, Frances A. Miller

romance: Mary Balogh, Jane Feather (at least her old ones)

regular fiction: Edith Wharton, Charlotte Bronte, George Eliot, Maeve Binchy, M. M. Kaye, Joanne Harris, Joshilyn Jackson

(And although she's already been mentioned, I must chime in with Mamacita on Lenora Mattingly Weber.)

27. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 22, 2009

stargirl, you know L.M. Weber? I love you!!!!!!!!!

28. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Apr 22, 2009

Jodi Picoult, J.K. Rowling, Dan Brown, James Patterson, Jennifer Weiner (her books are so funny).

29. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Apr 22, 2009

Mamacita, my sisters and I used to read the few Beany Malone books that were still available in the library when we were kids. (Somehow there were still a few copies even though the books were written so long ago.) We used to pore over the back covers that would list all of the Weber titles and dream that one day we would be able to read all of them.
    Several years later we discovered that most of her books have been reprinted by Image Cascade publishing company and are fairly inexpensive (around $12 a book), so I now own all the Beany Malone and Katie Rose books. Who said dreams don't come true?!

30. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 22, 2009

I forgot to mention Brain Jacques. He writes about personified animals in a medieval setting and I get hungry thinking about the food he writes about. I wonder if he ever thought of writing a recipe book. It'd be good for children.