Favorite Word Wall Activity?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by teacherbell, Aug 4, 2005.

1. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

What is your favorite word wall activity to do with your class? I am making a list of ideas to use this year so any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :thanks: :)

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2005

My kids love playing "Mind Reader" from four blocks I believe. They number their boards from 1-4 and I give them clues to help them "read my mind. " The first clue is always....."its on the word wall". Have you done that game? we do that on fun Friday and they really enjoy.

4. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

Thanks Kinderkids, I have never done that game but it is going on my list! :)

5. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

My Master Teacher (Kindergarten) had a matrix for her word wall. It was separated into several columns according to parts of speech (of course, they didn't know that!) Some words, longer than usual, would also have a picture on the card for easy recognition. The kids loved shared writing time when she would use the laser pointer and ask the kids to choose a "first word" (I, We, They, etc.), then the "next word" (their verb words), then the "next word," etc. She usually would pulled a name stick to have a child to call out a word in each column. A sentence would end up being something like "We like to play" or "I see a red house."

The words were added as new units introduced new words. The penguin unit made for some funny sentences! But the kids got accustomed to making up sentences, which was good. We had a separate word wall for our 22 sight words, and they were also incorporated into the matrix columns.

6. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

I do Making Words everyday with the students. If we miss a day then they start to ask when we'll do it. I also incorporate Guess the Covered Word and other activities from the Four Blocks Method.

7. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

Miss W--what is Making Words? (Sounds like something I'd like!) :)

8. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 4, 2005

Wow, Making Words every day...that's great! How do you fit it in every day? Do you do it as a whole class or part of reading groups?

Here's one idea for word walls: the teacher I work with a lot used her word wall words to do an interactive morning message. She'd write a morning message to the class, but leave some blanks. The blanks she'd leave would be world wall words, or word family words from the word wall. The kids would use the meaning of the sentence to figure out the missing word. Then she'd call on someone to write it onto the chart paper. No matter what the ability of the kid, she'd say, "Okay, what word wall word can _________ use to help him spell the word _______? For example, if the missing word was "fan", she'd say "What word wall word can _____ use to help him spell the word fan? (answer: can). At the beginning you can go over and over how the word "can" can help you spell the word "fan." This repition is great for the kids and it really helps them see how they can transfer their knowledge of word wall words to other words they don't know. By the end of the year, the kids were pro's at this!

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2005

Making Words is an activity where the students will make words with letter cards. A great book for this is "Systematic Sequential Phonics They Use" by Cunningham. Carson-Dellosa publishes it. I read my students a word, then a sentence with the word in it. The students then make the words using their word cards. I can walk around the room looking at the students words. Then I'll ask a student, that I saw spelled it correctly, to go to the pocket chart and spell that word for the class. There are 10 words per lesson, and your word wall words come straight from this. There are even extra activities, like sorting by rhyming words or alphabetically, with each lesson. Every fifth lesson is a word wall lesson. I post those on the website, and send a take-home word wall home with the students. Once the words are on the word wall the students are responsible for knowing them. The kids love it and will ask for it if you miss a day. It usually takes 15-30 minutes each day (depending on how much you do). You can by a set of cards that go with the book, or you can make your own. I printed mine off on large index cards and laminated them.
    You can find it in most educational supply stores. Here's the link to see the cover:
    http://www.edumart.com/sui/edumart/e_bigpic.cgi/carson
    It was well worth $25.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2005

Forgot to mention, we do it as whole class. Each student has their own set of letters. In the morning before they come, I place (from my teacher set) the letters they will need for the day. Part of their morning work is to get their letters ready to go. Once I send off attendance/lunch count, then we begin.

11. bam451

bam451 Rookie

Aug 5, 2005

So the students letter cards are printed on index cards? Do they keep them in their desks or do you hand them out? I was also wondering if you have trouble with them loosing their letter cards.

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 5, 2005

The word cards for sorting and word wall are on index cards. Last year I printed out letters on printer paper and laminated them. You could also print them on card stock or construction paper.This year I bought "Student Build-A-Word Cards" from The Mailbox and laminated them. I didn't have too much trouble with students loosing their letters. I had a few extra sets in a cup that they could get if they needed them. When I did my internship, my cooperating teacher left the cards in baggies in a container. All the a's were together, and the b's, and so on. She just put the baggies out on the marker holder of the chalk board. I might do something like that this year. I usually have a student come into the class early and put the lunch cards in the correct spots. I might have another student get the letters out.

13. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 5, 2005

Thanks for the info...and book recommendation!!

14. hojalata

hojalata Comrade

Aug 5, 2005

The cool thing about making words though, is that it shows kids how to transfer their knowledge about words to spelling other words. For example, a making words session usually starts out with one word like say
    "an" and then teh teacher will say "now add a letter to make the word "can"" Now change one letter to make the word "cat". "Now change one letter to make the word "bat". Now change one letter to make the word "bet." And so on, until they build the "big word" that the letters make. That's why I like it... it's more than just spelling one word after another...it's about making connections between words and showing patters. (For example: Take the word "kit" and add one letter to make the word "kite". What a great way to teach those boring phonics rules :)

15. teacherlissa

teacherlissa Comrade

Aug 5, 2005

In an attempt to increase my kids ability to type, I created "Laptop Computers" to type their word wall words. I had a copy of the keys of a computer and placed it inside a file folder. I used the four-blocks high frequency words so I placed the page that included all of those words on the other side of the file folder. I had a typed message on the front about "Laptop Computer" and had each one laminated. The kids can practice spelling their words by typing and learning the placement of the keys. They love using them!

16. Teener

Teener Companion

Aug 6, 2005

Another fun way to have the kids practice writing the words....

Instead of assigning 3 times each or whatever, as a class roll a large foam die (so all can see it). Whatever number it lands on is the number of times to write the word. We do that for each individual word. So sometimes the kids only have to write a word once or twice, but the die never fails to land on 6 at least once!

My students last year enjoyed this activity so much that they got out the small dice from our math kits during center time and used them to practice their spelling on their own.

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 6, 2005

For intermediate grades you can have them pick a verb and a noun that make sense together. Also, you can play 4 clues. You choose a word and they each try to guess it in the least number of clues. I say something like, "Clue One - my word has a silent e in it. Everyone write their first guess." They must choose something within a minute. Then I give succeeding clues each of which is more specific than the last. The kids can't change their answers once written. At the end they all stand and I say "State your guess in number 4.... Everyone who had the word ____ for number 4 remain standing. If you had it for number 3 remain standing...." Whoever got it in the least number of clues is the winner. It is great because you can design clues to practice a wide range of skills - parts of speech, vocab, phonics. I even throw in some math with clues like, 2/5 of the letters in my word are vowels.

18. nascarkat

nascarkat Guest

Aug 7, 2005

Check out the book Making Your Word Wall More Interactive. It's put out by CTP (#2282) for grades 1-3. It has some really cute games that might be worth your time.

19. weezwizard

weezwizard New Member

Aug 7, 2005

I use "slide organizer sheets"? for my students to keep track of their letters. They are sold at photography stores... they're clear, thick plastic sheets with 20? pockets... i just have them double up on a couple of the letters (XYZ in the same pocket...etc.) They have 3-4 copies of each letter (less of the least popular letters) and are very well organized. Each student can keep his own sheet in his desk, or they can be quickly collected, stored in a 3-ring binder, and passed out when needed.

20. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

Aug 8, 2005

I love the idea for slide organizer sheets weezwizard! Thanks for sharing!

21. Lanie

Lanie Cohort

22. LisaMarie

LisaMarie Rookie

Nov 12, 2005

My class loves "Be a Mind Reader!"

Sometimes my students and I also play "I have, you have" with words from our Word Wall or words from our Science Word Wall. It also serves as a vocabulary review. Basically, I'll start off and say the definition of a word and a sudent has to tell me which word I have, then define a word of his own. For example, I might say "I have the part of the plant that makes food." A student would raise their hands and say "You have leaf. I have _________________ " (definining a word on the word wall) and so on and so on. The kids get really into this game! :)

23. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Nov 13, 2005

We do all the 4-Blocks stuff and the kids really enjoy the lessons/activities.
    We also play Bang. Each group has a brown lunch bag with word wall words (or applied words, ex. dog is our WWW, but I could put bog, soggy, logging, etc. in-these are my challenge bags) written on seperate index cards, and several cards (depending on how many WWW you have in there) that say BANG! THe kids take turns taking cards out of the bag and reading their word. If read correctly, they keep the card, if wrong, put it back. If they get a BANG card, all the cards (for that child) go back in the bag. I set a timer and when it goes off, the child with the most cards is the "winner" otherwise it goes on forever.

24. Patches4

Patches4 New Member

Nov 15, 2005

The activity that I have found to be easy and quick for me, yet still fun for the kids is to create a silly story using x number of words from the word wall. This allows students to use the words on their own terms while using them in the correct context. My rules for this activity are that their stories must be appropriate for school, the sentences must make sense and that it tells a sequential story. I must admit, my second graders have very active and wild imagination. Good luck, I hope this helps.