Favorite way to teach letter sounds?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by TeacherGrl7, Sep 27, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 27, 2009

Every year I teach letter sounds differently, and I've never found anything I loved.

What is your favorite way to teach and reinforce letter sounds?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2009

Since I'm a montessori teacher, we use sandpaper letters. The children trace the letters and say the sound as they trace them. I love it! It's definitely not a large group activity though, or even a small group activity.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 28, 2009

I like the sandpaper letters! I use a super cheap version of that- I write the letter on paper with a marker, then trace it over with glue. When the glue dries, it's raised above the paper. Not MUCH, but enough that it gives a tactile sensation.

5. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

I use Zoo-phonics. The kids love it. I also have a letter of the week pocket chart that really reinforces each letter sound many different ways.

6. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Sep 28, 2009

I am using ZooPhonics this year too - and the kids are LOVING it!! LvToyFoxTerrier - where in Oregon are you??

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Sep 28, 2009

That's awesome!

8. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

My school is in Turner, I live in Salem.

9. MissJennifer

MissJennifer Companion

Sep 28, 2009

Wow, small world! I grew up near Marion! (My parents address is actually Turner) We lived between Jefferson & Marion. I'm in Eugene now. :)

10. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Sep 28, 2009

I also do Zoo Phonics! Wouldn't do it any other way, the students are so receptive to it.

11. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 28, 2009

Can anyone offer info on Zoo Phonics? I've heard of it but never experienced it. Is it something I would need to buy?

I also like to use Leap Frog Fridge Phonics. My kids love the catchy tune for each letter sound.

12. LvToyFoxTerrier

LvToyFoxTerrier Rookie

Sep 29, 2009

Yes, Zoo-phonics is a program you need to buy. You can just google it and find out all the info. you need. :)

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Sep 29, 2009

Thanks! I did google it. It looks great, but it would cost me every penny of my budget this year! Oh well, something to suggest for next year.

14. Gimet

Gimet Rookie

Sep 29, 2009

I just use the large merged cards--I think they were around $55.00.
    The program is very effective--because it 's multisensory.

15. imat

imat Rookie

Sep 30, 2009

Over the summer I started using hand made puppets. One of the puppets we called Lilly Letter Lady. Her job was to introduce letters and letter sounds to the children by singing the Found a Letter song and introducing items that started with that letter sound. The children loved it. Every day they ask for Lilly Letter Lady. Here is a link to a page with a picture and other ideas.
    http://kidsworldexploration.com/id89.html

16. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 1, 2009

we play letterrecognition games like letter bingo and letter dice games,we do a specific letter each week, we use dry erase boards,sandpaper letters, shaving cream writing and a letter chant that I made up--- most of my 3s could tell me half the letter sounds by the end of the year last year

17. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Oct 3, 2009

I use HeidiSongs Singable Songs for Letters and Sounds DVD & CD, it's AWESOME!! She uses the Zoo Phonics motions in her songs. Her songs work because they are multi-sensory which means they incorporate auditory, kinesthetic (movement), and visual to help ALL children learn. I like LeapFrog too; I use the Fridge Phonics game with my students and I recommend parents buy one for home. However, Fridge Phonics isn't multi-sensory so many of the kids learn their letters and sounds with it, but not ALL. With Heidi's Singable Songs I found more students learn letters and sounds because it addresses all the different learning styles. I firmly believe multi-sensory + FUN is the key to learning with young children.

Of course, there are many fun activities you can do to teach letter sounds, the best ones imo are the ones that are hands-on. Any time a child is manipulating 3-D objects in his or her hands it will increase learning. Therefore I use things like the Lakeshore Letter Sound Teaching Tubs and other similar products. You can see some more ideas on my ABC Center page. Some ideas there are for letter ID and some are for sounds.

18. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 3, 2009

I think everyone here probably knows that I love my Zoo-phonics.........many posts from me to that effect.

And I love the mulit sensory, bi lateral way that they program approaches the letters. After they have an understanding of the letters we use the white boards, games, lotto and dice just like other posters here.

I also use free journaling so that they can learn to combine the letter sounds all by themselves w/o worries. My children always arrive at Kinder reading and writing phonetically.

19. forkids

forkids Cohort

Oct 10, 2009

I use something similar to Zoo Phonics called Alphafriends. It focuses on the letter sound and on the lowercase letter, which I like. It also uses a character and a movement for each letter along with the sound and letter shape.

20. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Oct 10, 2009

I'm starting to work with Jolly Phonics. And so far the kids like it.

21. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Oct 11, 2009

MY FAVORITE WAY IS...
    Having every child's name start with the letter of the week!
    Just watch out you don't have a MITCH when you have Bb, a SAM when you have Dd, and a Chuck when you have Ff. I call them with their "LETTER OF THE WEEK" names all week long and we all get a kick out of it.
    Rebel1

22. darlin77

darlin77 Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

Tell me about your journaling. It sounds like a great idea. Do you have a journal for each child and they write letters in it?

23. darlin77

darlin77 Rookie

Oct 14, 2009

I think it's fun to throw in some large motor games with letters too. It's just one more way to expose them to the letters. I will put tape on the floor in the shape of the letter and have the children march around the shape of the letter while singing a letter song.

24. Bloom

Bloom Companion

Oct 14, 2009

My daughter used Jolly Phonics in pre-school and now in Kindergarten. I bought a copy of the workbooks and DVD at the local teacher school to use with my kids over the summer and my kids love it! I can speak to its success because both my 4 and 5 year old are already reading books on their own. The workbook sheets practice writing and incorporate a song and action for each sound....when they get more advanced, it works on blends, etc. Love the program!

25. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 14, 2009

Their journal time is for free writing. Yes, each child has a journal, and their picture is on the cover (along with their name). It is really just a comp book with a pix on it......but they love them. Last years graduates used their journals to document buildings they had designed in the block area, places their parents had taken them, and playdo food for which they had created reciepes. Sometimes we give them a promt (just for a change) but mostly they are used to document their lives. So children are told "wow, that is a great tower.....can you draw it in your journal so we can all remember it." In the last few months before kindergarten there is journal time each morning and they are asked to actually draw and use a word or two.....but it is more about getting used to do it when they are told rather than at free time. By that time all but a few are using journals already.

26. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 14, 2009

Yep, that is a good one. Sometimes we sort items from the room that start with a sound into one of two hula hoops. The other hoop is of course for the other letter.....

27. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Oct 14, 2009

I've been looking at the hot dot flash cards--anyoneever used them?