Favorite TV shows on DVD

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Kat53, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 17, 2010

Since my house fire, I've moved into a temporary apartment. I haven't set up cable yet (not sure if I'm going to) so I've been watching movies. I currently only have one DVD that I've watched 10 times so today I bought season one and two of Beverly Hills 90210 on DVD since it was on sale. This is one of my all time favorite shows so I plan to spend the next few months watching the entire series. What are your favorite shows that you watch on DVD? I'd also like to get the series of Law and Order:SVU but it's pretty expensive and I know once I get cable going again they show reruns regularly.

3. mom2mikey

mom2mikey Cohort

Jul 17, 2010

I have all sesaons of "Friends" and I watch them over and over and over and over again.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jul 18, 2010

We have all the seasons of West Wing-I love the fast banter. I also love our seasons of House.

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 18, 2010

I bought these so far:

Gidget (w/ Sally Field) - whole series as short as it is
    I Love Lucy - whole series
    Fresh Prince of Bel Air - seasons 1-4
    90210 - seasons 1-3 so far
    Melrose Place - seasons 1-5 so far
    Family Ties - seasons 3-5

If they didn't show it all the time on TV, I'd get The Cosby Show too.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

So far I've watched about five shows of the first season. It's funny how it was considered racy back then, and now it's completely tame by today's standards.
    Friends is my other favorite series, but I watch the reruns all the time so I didn't want to but the dvd's.

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 18, 2010

Love TV shows on DVD!

We watch...

"House"
    "Grey's Anatomy" (which I have watched too many times)
    "Seinfeld"
    and
    "Curb Your Enthusiasm!"

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

Either I missed or forgot that you're home caught fire. So sorry. :(
    I don't watch them often, but I like them as a collection. I have every season of Seinfeld (this is on television enough that I don't have to bust them out often, but they are full of interesting information and narrations...), King of Queens, and Everybody Loves Raymond. I need to get all of the One Tree Hill seasons, although I'm embarrassed by that. And maybe Dawson's Creek, too.

We have a few seasons of cartoons from our childhood, and my husband has every season of The Simpsons but I have no clue why. He never watches it on television or DVD, thankfully, so I assume it's another childhood thing.

9. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 18, 2010

Thanks, JustMe. It happened the end of June.
    I REALLY hate not having cable, and I'm debating on whether or not to tough it out until October, or just hook it up for a few months.

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 18, 2010

Gilmore Girls is the only series I own in its entirety. BF got it for me for Christmas. I could watch it over and over again.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

Oh my! I just realized I had a smiley face instead of a sad face! :eek:

12. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 18, 2010

I have way too much TV on DVD! My favorites are probably The Office (mainly the earlier seasons), Charmed, Petticoat Juncion, Green Acres, Wonderfalls, The Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development and Friends.

13. GG Fan

GG Fan Rookie

Jul 18, 2010

I know I'm a big dork - Golden Girls!!!

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 18, 2010

Gilmore Girls is the only TV show I own on DVD (every season!). I don't have a TV so it's nice to just pop in the computer once and a while when I'm doing something around my apartment.

I would LOVE to own The Office on DVD. I could watch that show over and over...

15. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Jul 19, 2010

How about renting some tv on dvd.

I would check out your local library. Is one nearby? You can check out the whole season for free and if your library doesn't have it, another one might. I put seasons on hold all the time and my library calls me when it comes in (interlibrary loan). If not look in to a Family Video, they rent tv seasons (I think the whole series is $3). These are great examples of being able to watch a lot of different series, without the money investment of buying all them.
    I highly like Veronica Mars, Alias, Gilmore Girls, Friends, Buffy, The Office (both versions, but I like the British version a little better), I could go on and on. I am watching Bones right now.

If you have internet capabilities you can stream a lot of tv shows for free directly from the network (ABC, NBC, etc...) site or sites like Hulu, etc.. Also services like Netflix stream loads of series online or directly to your tv (provided you have a blu ray player or something with that capability). You just pay for the service and get unlimited access to streaming. For example, they have lots of Lost seasons, Heroes, etc.. all online available for streaming.
    Can you tell I don't have cable either! :lol:

16. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 19, 2010

Six Feet Under

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. (A rather funny show that lasted 1 1/2 seasons in 1993 starring Bruce Campbell)

Burn Notice

Monk

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

Some of the Satuday Night Live collections. Chris Farley... LOVE when he was competing against Patrick Swayze for the Chip N Dales dancer...

18. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Friends is the only one I have the complete series for. I also have Laguna Beach and Newlyweds from a few years back but I don't watch those anymore...lol.

I always check ebay or half.com when looking for TV DVDs because you'll often find them cheaper there!

19. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

Newlyweds...with Jessica Simpson? Boy, they put EVERYTHING on DVD, don't they? :lol:

20. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 19, 2010

That's nothing compared to what they show on Keeping Up w/ the Kardashians & Kourtney & Khloe Take Miami.

21. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jul 19, 2010

Yes, they do! They even have "I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant" on DVD.

I was a bit of a Nick Lachey/98 Degrees fangirl back in the day and I never missed an episode in college! lol I'm not ashamed!

22. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 19, 2010

I wish they would put more old series on DVD and all of the seasons of The Amazing Race!

23. cityfrog6

cityfrog6 Comrade

Jul 19, 2010

We own West Wing (still need the final season though), Gilmore Girls (all seasons), LOST, and Bones.

I love our Netflix instant streaming because we have caught up on seasons of The Office and 30 Rock. I wish House would be on instant streaming.

24. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

:lol: didnt even notice ! :lol:

25. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jul 19, 2010

That's a great idea! I didn't think about the library.

26. nattyj21

nattyj21 Companion

Jul 21, 2010

I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can get from the library (for free!!). A great way to watch a lot of different shows.

I would like to watch the Amazing Race, too. I don't watch it when it is first run. Don't know why, just happen to not tune in. I will definately have to get that next.

27. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Jul 21, 2010

^^^^^ Favorite show of ALL TIME!!! They play it here on Wednesdays on UHD (Universal High Def) and on Sundays. Have seen all of them multiple times. Great writing. Great characters. Just pure greatness all around!

Just got into It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Kind of hit or miss for me though. I'd say I like about 1 in 4 episodes I watch. Don't have any on DVD....just watch old ones on hulu and on Comedy Central.

28. bros

bros Phenom

Jul 21, 2010

I dislike how Universal HD tends to censor some parts of the episodes, other than that, seeing it in HD is great

29. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

We just got seasons one and two of the King of Queens from the library! I hate getting series from netflix b/c you only get one disc at a time, unless you can stream it online. Just Say Yes to the Dress has been streamed a lot here... ;)

30. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Jul 23, 2010

I have not met anyone else who likes that show! :thumb: The commercials used to describe it as Seinfeld on crack and that's exactly what I think it's like! You have to have a dark kind of humor-I think Danny DeVito is hilarious.

I just watched the first 2 seasons of True Blood (same writer as Six Feet Under) and I really liked it-a little graphic, but both seasons had mysteries that kept you watching. I like Dexter and Psych too.

I love watching tv shows on DVD-you don't have to wait until the next week to see what happens! :)

31. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jul 23, 2010

That is definitely the best part! Also, it's what I love about getting into old tv shows that are three or four times in a row during the day; I just dvr them and watch them when I have the time.

32. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jul 23, 2010

MASH (my fiance got my hooked)
    Seinfeld
    Cosby Show
    Xfiles
    21 Jump Street
    Law and Order: CI
    I Love Lucy

33. newbie23

newbie23 Comrade

Jul 23, 2010

I have too many!

Alll seasons of: Gilmore Girls, Dawson's Creek, One Tree Hill, Everwood (all released), The OC, Felicity

I also have a few seasons of The Office, The Hills, October Road

34. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jul 23, 2010

I own all the Seasons of The Office and I Love Lucy.

I have a few of Wings (I got hooked my first summer of teaching. I'd watch Night Court and the Wings) but sadly TVLand doesn't show it anymore. I also have a few seasons of The Golden Girls and My Boys. I'd love to get the big Friends box set. My FI would like to get Everybody Loves Raymond.

35. girlblue16

girlblue16 Rookie

Jul 24, 2010

Oh, and Arrested Development, too. Brilliantly funny show!

36. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 24, 2010

I just have to say I loved the show Wings. You are inspiring me to find that show somewhere in cyberland.