Favorite time period to teach about/discuss in class

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Leatherneck for Life, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Leatherneck for Life

Leatherneck for Life Rookie

Jan 3, 2017

Fellow history teachers, what time period do you enjoy teaching about the most? For me, it'd have to be World War II and the Cold War-era beginning from the late '40s all the way to the the Viet Nam War, and all that happened within that time.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 4, 2017

I am not a history teacher, but I love talking about ancient Greece and Rome. I especially enjoy teaching about the Trojan War.

4. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 5, 2017

I get a kick out of explaining what it was like in school for me during the cold war. Also, I enjoy seeing the incredulity on kids' faces when we first start to discuss the beginnings of the civil rights movement.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jan 5, 2017

Mine changes constantly as my perspective/teaching focus on the units change. I absolutely loved teaching the Renaissance from the perspective of the Medici this year and the Early Republic from the perspective of figuring out what the Constitution actually allowed for the government.

Generally though I'd say the Mayan empire. It's like a never ending dig into new information. The discovery of an entirely new Mayan city-state last year along with lots of new evidence of their daily habits once again proved how little we historians actually know about many civilizations.

6. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Jan 5, 2017

I love teaching about the Russian Revolution and the Stalin era in the Soviet Union. It's fascinating to me! I am continually amazed at the profound changes and social upheaval that Soviet citizens went through during those years. I teach sophomore-level World History, so this time of year always makes me smile because I am right in my wheelhouse :D