favorite teaching books?

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maggie123, Mar 30, 2011.

1. maggie123

maggie123 Rookie

Mar 30, 2011

I'm looking to invest in some good idea books for 4-5 year olds.
    Unfortunately, the ones that look interesting online, the local book stores don't carry, so I can't flip through them before I buy them.

Which books do you have that you find invaluable (or maybe just really like) ? Are there any you would recommend for good or unique ideas? Some of the books I've purchased online have been a little disappointing and not really what I was expecting.

I am looking for all subject areas. Thanks in advance!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 30, 2011

I'm not sure about idea books, but I love to purchase children's books. I tend to find most of my ideas by searching the internet.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 30, 2011

I too get most of my real ideas off the net. Actually, many right from here.

However, I do love the NAEYC books for program/contect area philosophy type books. Now that I have been able to go more emergent/child lead it has really helped with that need for origional ideas. The children are already interested so even if the idea isn't "new" it is well appreciated.

5. isabunny

isabunny Comrade

Mar 30, 2011

I have been using The Complete Daily Curriculum for Early Childhood. This book was recommended to me on atoz and it is the one that I use the most to plan curriculum. I bought quite a few different curriculum guides when I took over a Pre-K class at the begining of this semester. I also purchased a great curriculum resource on ebay. The curriculum was basically a disk with thousands of pages of theme ideas, printable games, daily circle time activities, ect... I can't use printables in my classroom, but I can make the printables into fun games for the kids. I usually laminate the printables to make games out of them. It's very time comsuming, but I figure I can file the games away in baggies and have them next year. I also like the Mailbox books for each month of the year. I keep using those over and over again. I have had to buy quite a few to cover the different themes. Also Lakeshorelearning.com has some awesome project ideas and well as enchantedlearning.com.

I really have lots of resources. The books you choose depends on exactly what you are looking for in order to suppliment your curriculum. Are you looking for project ideas? Circle time ideas? Center ideas? Theme ideas? Gross Motor Skills? There are so many books available.

6. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Mar 30, 2011

I love the Mailbox "Organize (month) Now" books for PreK. The magazines are great too.

Dr. Jean has a series of Reading and Writing, Math and Science and Art books that have tons of great ideas.

I'm still looking for more great books - so I hope you get more suggestions...

7. annetxa

annetxa Rookie

Mar 31, 2011

I agree with isabunny, Complete Daily Curriculum for Early Childhood and The Mailbox are both great resources. I have access to over 20 years of Mailboxes that I have been going through and getting ideas out of.

Usually before I purchase books online I go to Amazon.com and use their "Look Inside" feature to thumb through the pages. I also look at the reviews for each of the books. Are you looking for a little bit of everything or anything?