Favorite Teacher Movie

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by kellzy, Apr 18, 2018.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 18, 2018

What's yours and why?

For me it's Mr. Holland's Opus. I was the band/orchestra ultra geek during high school. I ended up being personal friends with the band and orchestra teachers once I grew up and was no longer a student, and as a student I remember liking it because instruments, and my teachers loved it, and we would watch it on occasion in school with the music teachers when we had a free period.
    As a teacher I love it because of the character arch of Mr. Holland realizing his actual dream was what he had always done.
    I know a lot of teacher movies are irritating because they're not super realistic, but if you had to pick one, which would you?

Master Pre-K likes this.
  3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 18, 2018

I watched Dangerous Minds as a kid and decided teaching was what I wanted to do as a career.
    Another movie (not so much teaching in a classroom but coaching) is Remember the Titans and McFarland. The coaches made a difference in difficult times which is inspiring to me. When I get burnt out, I like watching these movies to remind myself why I signed up to be a teacher.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 19, 2018

I also enjoyed Mr. Holland’s Opus. It gave a realistic viewpoint of a man’s desire to provide for his family. It portrayed a chronogical insight to a part of history I could relate to. A touching account of parents dealing with a child’s disability. A painful reality of how tables turn when kids become adults. Policies out rank common sense. And even leaders can be human and show emotion and compassion.

Kindergarten Cop is #2 on my list. At the end of the day we silently wish to be that P. She knew that parent was a jerk, and needed to be put in his place. Arnold was perfect for that role. He got those kids into shape, and earned their respect.

Sister Act 2 is another favorite. When you see a bus won’t stop in a certain area, that’s bad. The student’s change, and the area changes too. They are shocked when the bus finally stops for them! When a kid forges her mom’s name to go on a field trip, wow...that’s deep. The inspiration to make a difference in a teen’s life is heartwarming.

Hands down, The Sound of Music is my all time favorite teacher movie. Maria is straightforward and overcomes her fears. She takes challenges and turns them into songs. And she wasn’t afraid to speak her mind. I saw the play and was totally mesmerized!

readingrules12 likes this.
  5. Hokiegrad1993

Hokiegrad1993 Comrade

Apr 19, 2018

It may not be considered a "teaching" movie but I love Wonder. You can see the movie in three different perspectives. (Teacher Parent and Student) made me cry seeing the movie but it can teach you a lot.

readingrules12 and rpan like this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Apr 19, 2018

I loved Mr. Holland's Opus! I saw it when I was in college. My roommate heard about it and since she knew I was going to be a teacher (and also loved to sing) she said we had to go see it. I haven't seen it in years but now I will have to see it again soon!

7. rpan

rpan Cohort

Apr 19, 2018

My students love Wonder. We watch it in stages, it’s a reward they truly look forward to and work towards. I think there’s something in the character that everyone can relate to.

8. heatherberm

heatherberm Cohort

Apr 19, 2018

This probably merits more thought but the first movie that came to mind was Dead Poet's Society which I do really love.

stephenpe likes this.
  9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2018

Lean On Me.

I used to watch that movie all the time when I was younger. Little did I know that I'd end up teaching at a school just like that one, mostly in the "before" part. :grimacing:

stephenpe and SpecialPreskoo like this.
  10. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2018

McFarland -- probably in part because is based on a true story.

stephenpe likes this.
  11. CharRMS

CharRMS Companion

Apr 19, 2018

Freedom Writers is one of my favorites; I remember watching it in my Foundations of Education class. Pay It Forward is another good one.

12. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 19, 2018

Does Mona Lisa Smile count as a teacher movie? I just watched that for the first time a couple months ago and honestly loved it.
    I'm watching Dead Poets Society now. We watched it in a class in middle school and I don't remember much of it, so I'm curious to see what I get from it now as an adult. I'll have to find Mr. Hollands' Opus to watch too, since so many here seem to enjoy it!

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 20, 2018

It's not a well-known one, but Teachers (1984). It was shot about a half mile from where I'm teaching now. Brutal but very well done.

stephenpe likes this.
  14. shoreline02

shoreline02 Cohort

Apr 21, 2018

Lean On Me, Freedom Writers

15. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Apr 21, 2018

The Ron Clark Story is up there for me.

16. MaleTeacher

MaleTeacher Rookie

Apr 21, 2018

My favorite teacher movie is Front of the Class.

17. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 21, 2018

Mr. Holland's Opus is a great movie. Especially designed for music lover in all of us.

18. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

Apr 21, 2018

So many to choose from! Mr. Holland's Opus is on the list, for certain. Dead Poet's Society, too, that film is gut wrenching, but, I've always loved it.

Kindergarten Cop hadn't occurred to me until I read this thread, but, I'd have to include it too.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  19. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 21, 2018

MATILDA!!! .. is one of my faves. But I love almost all teacher movies, even the lame Hallmark & Lifetime ones :)

20. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Apr 21, 2018

I forgot about Matilda! I love Miss Honey.

21. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Apr 21, 2018

That movie made me want to be a teacher. Not the book, the movie :p

22. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Apr 21, 2018

1. Stand and Deliver
    2. The Marva Collins Story
    3. The Ron Clark Story

All amazing true stories about amazing teachers. All of them greatly impacted my teaching career.

Master Pre-K likes this.
  23. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 21, 2018

Goodbye Mr Chips, the 1930s version with Robert Donat
    To Sir with love with Sydney Poitier and Lulu
    Carry on Teacher

In fact any movie is better than Dead Poets Society!

stephenpe likes this.
  24. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 21, 2018

To Sir with Love is stupendous. Same with Up the Down Staircase, but I prefer the book.

blazer and Master Pre-K like this.
  25. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Apr 22, 2018

May not have made it to your side of the pond but the Nativity series of films are very funny. They are all set in the City of Coventry in the UK. Currently 3 in the series but they are filming number 4 at the moment. For what are locally made films they have some pretty big names in the casts.

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 22, 2018

The Marva Collins Story - definitely a good one, that I left off my list.

27. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 22, 2018

I would have to go with Stand and Deliver as a top favorite. Just happens to reverberate with me due to the students I have worked with who feel they are "too dumb" to learn the hard stuff, so why bother. This includes my own son who felt that being classified meant he was stupid. That was my first taste of what message teachers send, both intentionally and inadvertently. If I hadn't had to work so hard to show my son that learning differently doesn't make you stupid, I would almost certainly NOT be a teacher today. His needs created my path.

On a much lighter note, I nominate Sister Act! I watch it whenever it shows up on TV.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  28. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 25, 2018

I had recently quit teaching (after 6 years) and saw that movie. It was part of the reason I went back (for 34 more years). I knew after that movie I was meant to be a TEACHER.

29. readingrules12

Apr 29, 2018

Just watched that movie for the first time. I watched it for free on YouTube. What a great movie! Thank you so much for recommending it.

30. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Apr 30, 2018

I left out The Miracle Worker....

Yeah, a bit violent to say the least, but it hits home (literally) where we all have been, I think.

I had a job as a 1:1 Sp. Ed. aide with a preschooler with autism. I was shocked to see the other teachers let this kid walk all over the place and drop toys. They simply walked behind him and picked them up.

Oh hell no!

When I took over as his aide, I made him pick up each and every toy, and put them back. I taught him to eat his own food instead of eating off everybody's plate. I made my own PECS cards, and he started asking for milk. I was sooo happy when I taught him to use the toilet, and he proudly asked for cookies! That was my reward for him when he spoke.

One day, my teacher was out, and they used me as a sub. They did this twice. In another thread, I mentioned how I honestly rather get my aide pay versus the teacher pay. At the time, I was getting paid bi-weekly, and teachers got paid once a month. So I needed this check to go out of town. Anyway, there was more to the story. I complained that if I was the teacher, who would be helping my student? The secretary said, "Oh, he'll be fine." That was wrong on so many levels.

I was covering for my teacher, and was told to do a direct instruction activity with Open Court Reading, which I totally hated for preschool. Make 3-5 years sit for 30 min. lesson?! Well, as I was teaching the small group, my student was wandering around by himself. He got frustrated, knowing I wasn't with him. I heard a loud crash. He knocked over a full shelf of dinosaurs, and looked directly at me! We know children with autism make little eye contact!

That was it.

I knew this was wrong and had to fix it. I stood up and said, "Okay, if I am the teacher today, I'm making some changes." I called the other aides over and said, one of you has to finish this lesson. I am with D!" I walked over to D and said, "Is that how we play with toys?" He looked down and started picking up the dinosaurs, and took my hand. It was so heartbreaking. :cry:

I held on to him and walked over to the phone. I called the secretary and I said. "I will not cover this class without assistance for my Sp. Ed. student. Either you need another aide or a sub. His IEP states he must have supervision at all times."

And that's what they did. They sent me over another aide. And when my teacher was out again, I refused to sub.

stephenpe likes this.
  31. TheExProphet

TheExProphet Rookie

Jun 3, 2018

How has no one here mentioned "Bad Teacher"? Come on that movie is totally bad a##. I get a good kick and laugh out of it all of the time, only because Cameron Diaz teacher persona is who we all aspire to be on a bad day.

I remember when I first watched Bad Teacher thinking to myself how I also mumble not so nice things when specific classes are about to walk into my classroom, and how specific colleagues of mines in my old school worked my last nerves.

Movie hit too close to home I guess ;)

32. readingrules12

Jun 3, 2018

Just saw a great teacher movie that was free on YouTube. It is called Beyond the Blackboard and is based on a true story.