Favorite Scary Movies

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by KinderCowgirl, Oct 15, 2011.

1. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 15, 2011

Tis the season for those of us who like the genre. I've been watching some random ones lately. What are your favorites?

3. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Oct 15, 2011

I like the SAW movies... gruesome, I know. And ALIENS. I like just about any good scary movie. Paranormal Activity was good.

4. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2011

I am very disturbed by the SAW movies...I've seen only the previews and about a ten second clip on accident. Horrible. I don't get it.

The most disturbing movie...and by that I mean I am disturbed that people would like it...is the Human Centipede movie. Again, I haven't seen it, but I've seen photos and know the general idea. :eek:

I do not watch horror movies and I don't like scary movies enough to really have a favorite.

5. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2011

I used to watch them and like them, but as I've got older, I can't watch scary movies with murder at all. It just really freaks me out. I don't know what changed, because I used to watch them. Now I'll cover my face and refuse to watch-so my husband just ends up turning it off!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 15, 2011

The Nightmare on Elm Street movies (at least the original 3) scare me to death! The creepy song: one, two, Freddy's coming for you, three, four, better lock your door... *shiver*

7. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 15, 2011

I like the odd numbered ones-1, 3, and 5. I think the 1st Nightmare was probably one of the 1st horror movies I ever saw. Near Dark is one of my all-time favorites-before vampires were trendy;). I liked the Scream series because it mocked the genre a little bit. I like when there's some humor involved.

The most disturbing ones I think I've ever seen are The Last House on the Left (the original-I won't bring myself to watch the remake)-and The Strangers because it's based on a true story. Oh and When a Stranger Calls (again, the original). I used to babysit all the time and can still remember jumping a little bit every time the phone rang--"have you checked the children?"---terrifying!

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2011

I'm more of a "thriller" fan. I'm watching The Shining right now, and I watched Carrie a few nights ago. It hasn't been long since I watched Silence of the Lambs.

I'm not a fan of "slasher flicks" at all. For the most part I find them lacking plot. DH loves them, so I've had to endure them pretty often.

9. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 16, 2011

I enjoy a lot of the Asian horror films -- the Ring, One Missed Call, The Grudge, Audition.

Aliens, 28 Days Later, and Dawn of the Dead, and The Thing (cautiously optimistic about the remake) were great.

I find the Saw series boring.

I haven't seen Paranormal Activity, which looks like the biggest horror series in the US right now.

10. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 17, 2011

I thought Paranormal Activity (1 and 2) was really slow and boring, and I'm a bit of a wimp. LOL

11. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 17, 2011

When I think of scary movies, I think of scary movies of the 80's-Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th. Sleepovers at friends' houses, scaring ourselves to death, someone's brother jumping out of the bushes near a window making us all scream, that kind of thing. I think Halloween 4 is the scariest movie ever.

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2011

I can't watch Aliens, my friend was in it, so it'd be too weird.

BUT, I do love scary movies.

I just saw Case 39. Love the oldies, classic ones like The Shining, Carrie, etc. I also love the Asian horror ones that 3Sons mentioned.

13. Speechy

Speechy Comrade

Oct 17, 2011

Audition, Ginger Snaps, and I Spit On Your Grave.

I used to love Halloween, the Nightmare On Elm Street movies, but I've just seen them SO many times lol.

14. Librarian79

Librarian79 Rookie

Oct 19, 2011

I love movies that are like Paranormal Activity, The Ring, The Grudge, etc. The ones like Nightmare on Elm St., and Friday the 13th just get so hokey now...

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 19, 2011

Does Monster's Inc count?!?! I don't like scary movies...
    I guess I would have to go with thriller's like Sleeping with the Enemy... geesh that movie scared me in parts!

16. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 19, 2011

I like those Final Destination movies. I've watched the Saw movies, except the last one or two of them.

I've watched The Grudge movies, but they did creep me out! :eek:

I've watched both Paranormal Activity movies, but the 1st creeped me out a lot more because I knew what to expect when watching part 2. Now part 3's coming out.

17. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 23, 2011

I am not a fan of the horror genre, but one scary movie I have always liked (aside from Alfred Hitchcock films which I love) is Copycat with Holly Hunter, Harry Conick Jr., and Sigourney Weaver (I think).

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 23, 2011

That was pretty intense. I like the thrillers better as well.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 23, 2011

I like psychological thrillers rather than horror movies. More cerebral.

20. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 23, 2011

I like thrillers too, although there hasn't been one in awhile that's surprised me, I find most of them pretty cliched and predictable.

I would make the argument that there are a number of cerebral horror films: The Orphanage, Tale of Two Sisters, Pan's Labyrinth, Repulsion, Psycho--just to name a few.

Speechy-I had forgotten about Audition-that was one messed up movie. I'm still not sure I entirely understand what happened.

3Sons-Japan does know how to do a good horror movie. I bet a lot of people don't realize how many of our releases are actually remakes from their films.

kcjo-I remember that too. We had a sleepover once and all fell asleep during the Exorcist-it just wasn't as exciting as we had thought it would be.

21. CajunQueen

CajunQueen Rookie

Oct 23, 2011

What about Jeepers Creepers?

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Oct 24, 2011

Have you seen Frequency?!?! That was a good one as well...

23. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Oct 29, 2011

I haven't seen that one. Who is in it?