Favorite Read Alouds

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dizzykates, Mar 5, 2008.

1. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

Mar 5, 2008

What are you classic favorite read alouds for your students? What new ones have you discovered recently? I am trying to develop a list of possible read alouds for my current class. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Mar 5, 2008

My kids are fourth graders. I thought they would think some of my picture books were silly, but they love them. Here are some that I've had good results with:

Picture Books
    Click, Clack, Moo by Doreen Cronin
    Diary of a Worm by Doreen Cronin
    A Bad Case of Stripes by David Shannon
    Dear Mrs. LaRue by Mark Teague
    The Sneetches by Dr. Seuss
    Brave Potatoes by Toby Speed

Chapter Books
    Fourth Grade Rats by Jerry Spinelli
    Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
    The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

4. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Mar 5, 2008

I also teach fourth graders, and it's my first year, so I'm still figuring out which books go over well and which don't. I read mostly chapter books to my class, although I've incorporated picture books around the holidays and other special events, or just when I find one I really want to read to them and don't think they've heard before.

I've read a lot of "classics," in terms of chapter books, favorites of mine from when I was a kid or books that I remember enjoying when a teacher read them to me. So far, my class's top three favorites would be "Nightmare Mountain" by Peg Kehret, "Ramona the Pest" by Beverly Cleary, and "The Witches" by Roald Dahl. All three of those, I could read for half an hour straight with them being totally silent and listening (most days), and they would still groan and beg for more when I would stop for the day. "Nightmare Mountain" was the best - we had fun with all the cliffhangers in that one!

5. Just_Beginning2

Just_Beginning2 Rookie

Mar 5, 2008

I was surprised to find it but my 2 and 3 graders absolutely LOVED Esio Trot. I picked it because it was short and I wanted to have a book we could read in just a few days because we had a short week and they were so into the whole story. They loved guessing what would happen and they didnt say a peep while listening to the story. Also... Charlottes Web, Because of Winn Dixie, and the BFG are HUGE hits

6. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Mar 6, 2008

new ones

I read a post a few weeks ago about The Boy Who Ran For President and decided to read it and it was a great read aloud. I enjoyed it and the kids also. It talked about the steps to be President. I also just finished Spiderwick. It's a short easy read in a couple of days. I want to read the rest.

7. foxgallagher

foxgallagher Rookie

Mar 6, 2008

I'm in a fourth grade class and we are reading The Sign Of The Beaver as part of our ELA lessons (it ties in with our social studies unit on Native Americans). The students love it! They complain when I have to stop reading and move on to an activity. My host teacher also read The Fairy-Tale Detectives (Sisters Grimm) by Michael Buckley. Very funny book, and there were also complaints when she stopped reading this one.

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Mar 6, 2008

My read alouds this year have all been pretty good...

Poppy, by Avi (my all time favorite!)

The BFG, Roald Dahl

Hamlet, Retold by Bruce Colville (a HUGE hit... they loved the murder, sword fights and betrayal! a longish picture book)

Clarice Bean Spells Trouble, by Lauren Child--- another new favorite...I love this one because it goes into all kinds of school subjects like kids taking tests, why spelling is so hard for Clarice, and other things. Now instead of DOL we correct Clarice Bean's papers and fix her grades, since she is such a terrible speller.

Muggy Maggie, Beverly Cleary

The Boy Who Ran for President, Dan Gutman

I read many picture books as well, and won't list them all.

I feel like there are more I have done this year and am missing something, oh well. I just started reading Hachico Waits (don't know the author) and it is good so far, but I actually didn't read it first... I don't know how it will end up. I meant to read it, but ran out of time and wanted our book to integrate into our Japan unit... When I have done this before it's been 50/50.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 7, 2008

I love reading The Janitor's Boy and There's a Boy in the Girls' Bathroom. I am currently reading A Wrinkle in Time, and while I am enjoying it immensely, I'm not sure the kids really understand what is going on. Beauty is fun, but not very action packed. My Brother Made Me Do It is hilarious and tender at the same time. I also just finished Snow Treasure. The kids loved it.

10. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 7, 2008

I just finished reading Where the Red Fern Grows to my class. I warned them when we got to the end that it would be sad. We all sat together on the floor and passed the kleenex around as I finished reading. We watched the movie a couple days later and did a compare and contrast activity with the two. My class really enjoyed it.

11. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 7, 2008

I'm going to have to get my hands on Coville's retelling of Hamlet. I bet that is a fantastic book. That reminds me of another favorite book, Jennifer Murdley's Toad.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 7, 2008

I like Lauren Childs too -- both the chapter books and picture books. My favorite picture book from her is I Will Not Ever, NEVER Eat a Tomato. I also love the Doll People books.

13. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Mar 7, 2008

I haven't had a chance to do that many read alouds this year, because The Mouse and the Motorcycle took us forever!
    So far we have read:
    Horrible Harry Moves Up to Third Grade
    Muggie Maggie
    The Mouse and the Motorcycle
    Judy Moody and Stink: The Holly-Jolliday
    The Swamp Monster of Third Grade
    The Boxcar Children

I let my kids pick our read alouds occasionally, thus swamp monster, but to my surprise--The Boxcar Children has been their favorite! I picked it because I have a huge collection of Boxcar Children books that they haven't touched in our library. I read the first aloud to spark their interest! After we finished, many of them snagged them up for their bag of books!

My favorite read aloud is The Secret's of Ms. Snickles Class. It's about a teacher who doesn't allow secrets, but she has the biggest of them all, she lives in her classroom! She presses a button and "poof" the room turns into an apartment and one of the desks into a cat! I did a LTS in second grade and they loved it. I might read later in the year, but some of my kids heard it last year. The author has another book, Zoo School, that I want to read to them before our zoo trip.

14. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 8, 2008

I forgot to mention the Tail of Desperaux. When I did a LTS in a first grade classroom I read Winnie the Pooh every afternoon. They loved it. If I had stayed longer I would have read The House at Pooh Corner.

15. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Mar 10, 2008

Some of my favorite pics:
    A Wrinkle in Time
    Anything by Andrew Clements
    A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
    The Skin I'm In
    Inkheart

16. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Mar 10, 2008

Maniac Magee
    Tiger Rising (DiCamillo)
    Because of Winn Dixie
    Rascal

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

I know this doesn't really apply to you, but I love to read The Giving Tree in Latin to my high schoolers....and they secretly love it too.

:)

18. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Mar 10, 2008

Now that is cool. How did you find a copy in Latin?