Favorite read alouds

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by cocobean, Jul 24, 2016.

1. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 24, 2016

What are some good read alouds for third grade?
    When I student taught third grade we read Charlotte's Web, My Father's Dragon, and The Velveteen Rabbit together as a class. (Students had their own copies)

I'm thinking of starting the year out by reading Ramona Quimby, Age 8. I will be reading this aloud on my own.
    Any thoughts/suggestions?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 24, 2016

Sign of the Seahorse - mature environmental concerns that children and adults of all ages understand, and the rhyme is exquisite. If you are going to read it aloud to them, a little practice to get into the cadence, and then you are off to the races. I have literally read it K-12.

cocobean likes this.
  4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Jul 25, 2016

I agree Charlotte's Web is good. Others that I have found highly successful with 3rd grade are:

There's a Boy in the Girl's Bathroom by Louis Sachar
    The BFG by Roald Dahl
    The Witches by Roald Dahl
    The Indian in the Cupboard by Lynne Reid Banks
    Because of Winn Dixie by Katie DiCamillo
    Shiloh by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
    Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume
    Frindle by Andrew Clements (probably better 2nd half of year)

I like starting out 3rd grade with There's a boy in the Girl's Bathroom because it helps build community as they see the tough boy Bradley change his ways and get friends for the first time. It also is very funny which they enjoy a lot.

cocobean likes this.
  5. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 25, 2016

Thanks for reminding me that I have There's a a Boy in the Girls Bathroom! I remember loving that book.
    Thank you for all the great suggestions.

6. Obadiah

Obadiah Groupie

Aug 2, 2016

Misty of Chincoteague (both Misty books) and Brighty of Grand Canyon by Marguerite Henry. (One small caution: Brighty contains references to hymns). The movie on Misty is well worth watching! Some of the actors are local residents, and especially in the scene where the boy and girl meet another boy riding a horse, the boy on the horse is an excellent example of the "accent" of speakers in that part of Maryland.

The Rats of NIMH.
    I read the first and third in the series. I haven't read the 2nd book, but if it's anything like the others, it's well worth reading. It's an especially fun book to read aloud if you're like me; I like to make up character voices.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. We also watched the movie (the original movie, not the most recent). The students enjoyed the movie and learned from it, but I found it most interesting that the students mentioned they preferred the book over the movie. The movie, of course, could not simulate Dahl's craftsmanship in language.

The Ransom of Red Chief. Hilarious!!! I especially enjoyed creating voices for the two crooks. I gave the main crook an old movie-style gangster voice, and gave his side kick a voice similar to Disney's Goofy, only with a sadder expression (since he took the brunt of Red Chief's pranks.

cocobean likes this.