Favorite Read Aloud

Discussion in 'Sixth Grade' started by mopar, Oct 22, 2010.

1. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2010

I am looking for some new read alouds to spice up or morning time. I give the students something to work on in the morning, but I love to read aloud to them. Any suggestions on great sixth grade appropriate books?

We are currently reading The Hunger Games (schoolwide novel) and I will read The Lightning Thief with Greece. I've tried some other novels, but nothing that really drew in the attention as these two books have.

3. carlea

carlea Comrade

Oct 22, 2010

This year I started with The Revealers by Doug Wilhelm - it's about bullying. The students are really into it - another teacher told me that they overheard the students discussing the story after they left my class.

4. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 22, 2010

I'll have to look into this one. Some of my students need a lesson on bullying-not that they are doing it, more that it is happening to them.

5. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Oct 26, 2010

I felt like a failure when I started read alouds, it didnt seem to work for my classes. I don't know what I did wrong, but they weren't interested in it at all.

6. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2010

I think it really depends on the book that you are reading. I have had success with The Hunger Games. However, last year when we read Aiden of something or other, my kids were totally not interested. So, we discontinued the book and talked about why it wasn't a good fit.

That's why I'm looking for other good novels to share with my students because I know that finding the right book makes it so much easier to keep their attention. I also explain to them that some parts are boring but we highlight the important information and talk about how it was useful later.

Another great idea I got, was incorporating strategy instruction during read aloud. So, I rarely pause to ask for answers. Instead I think aloud and have them listen and if they want, they too can think aloud. But they CANNOT answer my think aloud questions! They are only for me to answer as I read further...or pose answers to.

7. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

A read aloud I use...

A wonderful read aloud that I stumbled across is called Mr. Peabody's Apples, by Madonna. It's a picture book, but it has a wonderful message.

Usually I start my year by reading this. We discuss how rumors can hurt someone and whatnot. The children absolutely love the book.

8. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

Ohhh....I really could have used that book last year with my class. I lived in a rumor mill, I think! I'll have to file this for future reference!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2010

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

How about The Hunger Game sequels?

11. NYTeacher83

NYTeacher83 Rookie

Dec 28, 2010

Also...

I finished House on the Gulf by Margaret Petersen Haddix just a few weeks ago. It had the kids on the edge of their seats!

I'm currently reading Eleven by Patricia Reilly Giff. So far so good, but we're just getting into it!

12. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2010

I read the House on the Gulf as well---a good read. Our school wanted me to read Catching Fire, but I just refuse. The school has enough copies that the students who want to read it can! I like reading a series to catch interest, but then I want them to read the other books.

13. Spevan

Spevan New Member

Mar 26, 2011

Read Aloud

My sixth graders absolutely loved The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. I heard from parents that the kids would go home and tell their folks what had happened during that day's reading. Also a good book for working on character studies.

14. newmissteach

newmissteach Rookie

Apr 14, 2011

I was working in a 4th grade reading the Series of Unfortunate Events books, and they LOVED them. The language and concepts can sometimes be high for kids at that age, so 6th would probably be perfect. There is a lot of irony and humor in the writing!

15. round stanley

round stanley Companion

Apr 18, 2011

16. tnv

tnv Rookie

Apr 28, 2011

I really like the The Giver-Gather Blue-Messenger series as read alouds. Also, The City of Ember and Wringer are some favorites.

tnv

17. queenie

queenie Groupie

Apr 30, 2011

My fave is The Giver by Lois Lowry!

18. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

The Westing Game

19. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Apr 30, 2011

20. litrocks

litrocks New Member

Jun 20, 2011

The Westing Game - the kids love this book and have a great time trying to figure out the answer - a great "whodunnit!"

21. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2011

Isn't this book a graphic novel? With pictures that you have to see to get the gist of the story? :dunno: I haven't read it, but I took a seminar about children's lit where the presenter said that.

If I'm right, how do you share the pictures with the kids? If I'm wrong, never mind! :whistle:

22. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jun 20, 2011

My favorite book to read aloud is The Witches by Roald Dahl. I love to read the witch's voice in a crazy German accent! Needless to say, the kids love it because I am making a total fool of myself.

23. hawkteacher

hawkteacher Comrade

Jun 24, 2011

I second the Mysterious Benedict Society! I have never had a class in love with a read aloud more than with that book. I found it was phenomenal for the vocabulary strategy "tune into interesting words" and also worked really well for inference.

I also really liked it as a read aloud because it would have been too challenging for many of my students to read independently. One of the huge benefits of read aloud is that you can help your students access books they might not be able to independently. I kind of figure if your lowest reader could read it on their own successfully, why read it as a read aloud?