Favorite Playdough Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by scmom, Jul 3, 2011.

1. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2011

I have been asked to do an inservice on new ways to use common classroom items so this will be the first of several posts asking for your ideas.

What are your favorite playdough activities or materials you add to the playdough table to change it up?

3. mrgrinch09

mrgrinch09 Comrade

4. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2011

Thank you - love the ideas! I would love to start a blog to post stuff like that.

5. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Jul 3, 2011

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 3, 2011

Great idea - I haven't tried that before!

7. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Jul 3, 2011

add scissors for cutting
    popsicle sticks for slicing
    add Kool-Aid for color & smell

Look for other types of dough/clay recipes. I have made chocolate dough and a baking soda clay that is great for modeling and air drying.

8. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Jul 3, 2011

playdough sculptures- add homade play dough, pipecleaners, craft sticks, beads, feathers, different sizes of cut-up straws, and q-tips, and more, then let the children use the materials to stick into the play dough to make a sculpture.

9. abcme

abcme Rookie

Jul 7, 2011

For the spring weather theme I made grey clouds out of construction paper. I wrote a number on each cloud. The children had to make that many raindrops out of play dough to put under the storm cloud. I also put a corresponding number of dots on the cloud for those who could not recognize the number and also for one to one correspondence.

10. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 11, 2011

All of those ideas are wonderful!

Our favorite way to use the playdough is to create food out of it. We don't have plastic food in our dramatic play/kitchen areas....we have to make it. If you want to feed a cat some cat food....better cut it.

We also love to make bird sculptures, bake cakes for one another (that always turns into bday parties....so we add candles from the store and just fail to light them. Super counting practice!

We love to make decorations as mr grinch suggested, we do our basic cutting in playdough as a rule! Best way to learn scissor skills in my opinion. We cook it together and kneed it up together on "hot playdough day".

Just as mr grinch used little green and little yellow to work on color mixing with the playdough we then continue by mixing purple and orange. Sometimes when we really understand this we use the lesson to teach the format for an addition equation....as in "yellow+blue=green".

I do think it is important though to spend time just with the playdough.....so that the children really understand how to kneed it and smoosh it and goosh it...not just stick stuff in it. Often when we make playdough the first day we just only use our hands to work it.....what can you invent without tools!

11. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Jul 12, 2011

Our favorite play doh activity is our Christmas Baking Center. I set up an extra oven, a cash register, order pads and pencils, baking pans and lots of cookie cutters. Then I make home made playdoh that smells like gingerbread (I just mess with the spices until it smells right.) The kids love it - and visitors love the smell of our classroom!

WaProvider - I love scissors with playdoh! The cakes sound fun too.

12. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 12, 2011

For older students, I've seen a game where one student has to create something, such as an elephant, book, or chair... the other students in the group have to guess what they're making. Kind of like a 3-D game of charades. This could be tailored to a specific lesson, such as reviewing science vocabulary, or letters of the alphabet.

13. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 12, 2011

We love that too! It is a part of the Cadoo game as well, by the Caranium company.