Favorite Organization Secret

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Teaching Grace, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Soccer Dad

Soccer Dad Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

This is a bit off topic, but does anyone else have a copy limit? I, by nature, give a ton of handouts so this summer I'm working on condensing my handouts.

However, in terms of printing those "3-4 extra copies" (which I've always done), I've resolved by uploading everything to the school's password protected site. Now I require students to download any lost handouts on their own.

My only true organizational skill that works amazing is numbering students. I have them do it on everything that's handed in. Next year, I'm slated to teach Honors Global History, Honors Western Civilization, AP Euro and Regents U.S. History. I need to cut time spent on remedial things as planning is going to eat up the bulk of my nights (especially since I always have to revamp my units from year to year...). But yes, use #'s!

2. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Jul 1, 2011

I have a copy limit of 18000 copies a year. A double sided copy counts as two. During my first years of teaching I could only make 500 copies per month. I was teaching 5 periods and I learned to really use very single space available in a sheet of paper. I also made students write a lot of the problems in their notebooks instead of giving them worksheets.

Those 3 years taught me to be really frugal about my copying needs. I even feel guilty when creating a handout where I don't minimize the margins completely.

When I give the students short quiz, I usually use landscape position and I divide the sheet in two columns and I create two quizzes from one sheet. I know, I’m that cheap!.

Another thing I’ve been doing is printing as many copies as I can from the computer lab at work. I bring my own copy paper and if I need to print about 30 sheets, I use the laser printer from the computer lab. I also use the printer from my house.

3. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

That's a great idea! I suppose a stamp in the corner would work as well.

4. paperheart

paperheart Groupie

Jul 1, 2011

I just started using evernote.com last night and I think it will be something wonderful for me!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2011

Other than items I have laminated (like focus board items), I keep all paper items in my 500GB portable "brain" (hard drive). I back this up at least once each month so I don't have to worry about my info if my brain crashes. I don't have to cart a computer back & forth - my "brain" fits in my purse! When I'm ready for a unit, I "tweak" the stuff for that unit, then print what I need.

6. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 1, 2011

Thank you! I spent months last year looking for these but didn't know what they were called.

7. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 9, 2011

I am a piler as well. It can really be a problem for me! :dizzy:

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jul 9, 2011

I teach elementary, so this will probably apply best to the teachers of younger grades:

1- I got rid of my "turn in box" which was really a basket I forgot to go through all too often, or filled with stuff I never needed to collect in the first place.

Instead, I have two open hanging file boxes. One for "In Progress" and one for "Finished work" (Next year when I have 2nd grade I am changing it to Pickle and ketchup folders.)

At the end of any assignment or work period, the work goes into one of those two folders. I have one prep a week where I schedule myself to look through everyone's folder and check their work or check their progress. I have a scheduled time on Friday morning where they go through their folders and either take things home by putting them in their Friday Folder, or they finish work that's still in progress. Kids done with everyone, with no corrections to make get to have an extra choice time.

We have cubbies, so I have put a "folder holder" in each child's cubby. They keep all their folders and notebooks in the container.

I organize my computer files by year. After that year, all of my materials go into that file. I name them like this: 06-07 (2nd grade) and then when I move grades (which I seem to do a lot) I can go back and get ideas or reuse assignments from the last time I taught that level.

I take a picture of each tub or center activity and then tape it to the shelf where it belongs. The kids can put it right back and things stay organized and neat that way.

9. 6thgradeteacher

6thgradeteacher Rookie

Jul 20, 2011

Flash drive??

I'm thinking a flash drive would save you a lot of time. I like to have files in both places, too. Every couple of weeks, I just copy everything onto a flash drive and take it home/school.

10. MsCTeaches

MsCTeaches Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

I envy people who are organized by nature. I'm not, and I have to work at keeping things in their place all the time. One of my co-workers is ultra organized (almost to the point of being OCD), but her classroom is immaculate (our P said it was "sterile").

11. MsCTeaches

MsCTeaches Rookie

Jul 26, 2011

...and for those who email documents to themselves...use Dropbox. You can create/download documents on your computer and save them directly to Dropbox. Then you can retrieve them online. It's file sharing at its finest!!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2011

I learned about Dropbox a few weeks ago--my email inboxes are going to thank me!