Favorite Music

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SwOcean Gal, Mar 21, 2010.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 21, 2010

What is your favorite cd to play for your class???? Which ones do your kids absolutely love???? I have a Greg and Steve book/cd pack and my kids love it! (Sing and read series, check it out here, http://www.gregandsteve.com/store.php) Do you have any like that, a music cd with a picture book combo like my Greg and Steve set? I would love to buy something like that, but I am not sure where to look or what else is out there that is good.

3. UpNorth

UpNorth Rookie

Mar 21, 2010

I have ideas that are just music (no picture book combos - neat concept though! I'll have to look into the one you suggested). :)
    I like to play nice soft music when the students are working on art or having free-choice time. A couple ideas that come to mind are "Reggae for Kids" with various artists (the first track is Puff the Magic Dragon). Another is African Playground from Putumayo World Music.

One last suggestion - check out the kids section at your public library! I'm lucky enough to have an amazing library in my town and I find SO many great CDs there - it's nice to listen to them to see if you like the songs before committing to buying them.
    Good luck! :)

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 21, 2010

My kids loved the Lakeshore color songs. Also, "Wide-Mouth Bullfrog" by Mar. She sells the book on her website as well as the music. It's a pop-up book, and really cute.

I like to let my kids make books to go with songs. Or, I made books with pictures of them to go with the songs.

5. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Mar 21, 2010

My class ADORES Jack Hartmann. I love him because, while his music IS kid music, he tries really hard to not sound like kids music if that makes any sense. If you check out his website you can listen to samples. I have ALL his nursery rhyme CDs (he makes them contemporary) and his Hip Hop Alphabop CDs are literally a part of my curriculum. :)

6. greengables

greengables Rookie

Mar 21, 2010

Ditto on Jack Hartmann! We love him, listen to him everyday! Check out his Brain and Body DVD, too.

7. Kindergarten31

Kindergarten31 Cohort

Mar 22, 2010

I love Jack Hartman. He is from my city (he used to come to the beauty salon where I worked in the old days for a hair cut) and he has come to our school to put on a performance. You think his CD's are good, you should see him working with a K class!

I also love Dr. Jean and good old Raffi. Raffi has some books that go with his music.

8. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Mar 22, 2010

I love Dr. Jean! In addition, I love Heidi's songs in order to teach sight words, etc. Jack Hartman and Greg and Steve are good as well.

9. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Mar 23, 2010

I love Jack!!! He recently did a concert at our school and my kids had a blast! I am going to get his new DVD soon.
    Dr. Jean is a fav as well.

10. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2010

Another vote for Jack Hartmann! I met him and he is as full of life as my kindergarteners!

11. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Mar 24, 2010

oh great! I am going to have to look into all of those! Thanks!
    I like Dr Jean too and I love Hap Palmer, but the others mentioned I will be looking into, especially Jack Hartmann with rave reviews!! Thanks!