Favorite Moments from Past Olympics

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Jul 26, 2012.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

With the Olympics finally starting tomorrow, I figured I'd see what everyone's favorite moments from past Olympics are. I really only started being addicted to them in 2008 so mine is probably the US relay with Phelps.

From a history standpoint, I love hearing about Mark Todd, an eventer from New Zealand. He was sort of a pioneer for the sport and had a very talented but small horse, which makes it even more awesome.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 26, 2012

dgp~have you heard about one of the American eventers who bought his horse off a track. The horse wasn't racing well enough and was about to be put down. He bought him for $800. Then in May of last year, the guy got a call that the barn that housed his horse was on fire. He drove the 6 miles to the barn and the whole thing was on fire. He didn't hesitate a second, ran into the barn, straight to the stall and led his horse out. The horse's lungs were FULL of smoke and he had burns all over his body. They thought he would die or the very least, not be able to compete. They are in London ready to go!

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

Is that Boyd Martin? I remember reading about it when it happened but didn't even put two and two together until your post. I was already rooting for him but now even more!

I'm, of course, a big fan of the Romney horse, Rafalca :D (Actually Steffen Peters and Anky van Grunsven are my favorite riders).

5. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2012

The Woman's Soccer Team winning with Mia Hamm and Brandi Chastain.... saw Brandi when we went to a taping of the David Letterman show... everyone one around didn't know who she was... I said you know the USA soccer player who took her shirt off and then everyone would laugh and say Oh her. LOL!!!

Watching Phelps swim, beach volleyball, and I love to watch the floor exercise.

STG...is J excited?!?!

6. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 26, 2012

I am an Olympics JUNKIE! I love watching all of it! I cry pretty much every time we win a gold and I hear our anthem. I just stand and sing it! (Much to the annoyance of my daughter... whatever. LOL!) Phelps getting his 8th gold last year was pretty darn fantastic. I have a horrible memory, so I Googled a list. Here's NBC's list of all time great moments: http://www.nbcolympics.com/top-nbc-moments/index.html

7. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012

Kerri Strug's one foot landing on her gold medal vault in 1996. I am not a sports person but I love that moment. Gets me every time.

8. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jul 26, 2012

:yeahthat:

She didn't even need to vault, but did it anyway. What a moment!

Michael Johnson's gold shoes...

The Dream Team (LeBron, whatever...they would wipe the floor with you nowadays!)

Carl Lewis winning the long jump when he was supposed to be old and not capable...

The black gloved fists...

9. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

Yes! That's the guy!

Band- we'll definitely have to go somewhere with a TV tomorrow night to watch the Opening Ceremonies!

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

The 1980 US men's hockey team.

Mohammed Ali lighting the torch.

Nadai Comenichi (sp??) and her 10 in gymnastics.

Mark Spitz winning his 7.

Which is the first Olympics you remember??? Mine was the '72 games in Sapporo Japan.

11. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jul 27, 2012

Ditto to all of these, the hockey team being the most memorable! I also remember Olga Korbet!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 27, 2012

Oh, and the opening ceremonies at Calgary. I find many of the opening ceremonies more or less forgetable, but I LOVED Calgary.

I remember fondly the Sarajevo Olympics. No one moment, but the feeling of fellowship that was so pervasive. So much more poignant when you see what happened to Sarajevo afterwards.

And the most heartwrenching of all time was the 1972 Munich Olympics. I just read that the IOC has opted against a moment of silence honoring those who died.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 27, 2012

OMG! I was about to message you the same thing! :) There's a "pub" near your hotel. I'll see if they are going to be playing it.

14. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2012

When the USA 400 free relay beat the French team.

I still get shivers watching it!!!:)

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 27, 2012

Absolutely one of my favorite moments! I remember watching the games with the original Dream Team. Bird and Johnson were my basketball idols, and to see them on the court playing together was amazing. I have a t-shirt from those games (Barcelona, I think) that I refuse to get rid of. The front shows them and says "Together At Last" and the back lists their respective professional achievements.

16. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 27, 2012

The first I remember is also '72 - but the Munich games - hard to forget with what happened with the Israeli team.

Definitely Olga Korbut, Mark Spitz, Bruce Jenner.

Also Dave Wottle and his cap, Eddie the Eagle, and many of the others mentioned about.