Favorite Lessons

Discussion in 'Art Teachers' started by Securis, Apr 11, 2009.

1. Securis

Securis Cohort

Apr 11, 2009

I mention making masks from recycled materials. So I'll give the shortened run down.

• Collect recyclable materials: paper, cardboard, plastic bottles, nifty found objects, etc.
    • Lots of Elmer's glue and masking tape. Staples and hotglue and maybe tie wire in some cases.
    • Make paper into paper pulp prior to lesson's beginning, you'll need more as you go along, gallons and gallons of it. Don't add glue until you need it.
    • Form armature from materials. This can be tough for some students but not impossible.
    • Apply glue-mixed pulp in thin layers as if it were clay. You can pull some surprising textures and features.
    • Dry in front of a fan overnight, repeat previous step as often as necessary to get the details and texture desired.
    • For smoother textures apply straight glue with a brush in as many layers as desired.
    • Paint. Acrylics for best results.

Here are some examples:

[​IMG]
    This is work by a sophomore.

[​IMG]
    This is my example that I made for the same group.​

3. Crzy_ArtTeacher

Crzy_ArtTeacher Comrade

Apr 12, 2009

One of my favorite lessons is just a simple one I got from a book. I love doing the birch trees that we tape out with masking tape. We go back in to add details later and add white snow flicks to the surface. The children love it, they do a great job, and it directly relates into the curriculum of NH (our state tree).