Favorite Lesson to Teach

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by The Fonz, Jul 31, 2011.

1. The Fonz

The Fonz Math teacher (for now...)

Jul 31, 2011

We've had favorite classes threads before, so now i wonder what is everyone's favorite lesson or lessons to teach?

I teach math and my favorite lessons are trig identities and trig proofs...i look forward to them every year...i just wish that I didn't have to wait so long to get to it (I do them around January/February)

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2011

I love my short story project. After spending so much time learning and talking about plot and characterization and foreshadowing and suspense and whatnot, my kids write their own short story to show synthesis of these terms. They come up with some amazing stuff :)

4. kme93

kme93 Companion

Jul 31, 2011

I teach math also. My favorites are: factoring and hypothesis testing (statistics).

I hate graphing. I don't like drawing the little graphs. I usually recruit a student each class period to draw them for me. Haha!

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I love our modern American authors unit. We study Hemingway, Steinbeck, e.e. cummings, Fitzgerald, Faulkner... all of the greats. It's such a pleasure sharing great pieces of literature with kids who have never read anything like it before. :)

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 31, 2011

Hmmm...I'll have to do it by classes I usually teach:

Law: Trial Basics
    Government: The Judicial System
    US History: Civil Rights Movement
    European History: World War II

7. lovelit

lovelit Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

I love teaching the book Night to my students. They think they already know everything there is to know about the Holocaust, but reading such a raw and honest account of what happened and analyzing the propaganda that brainwashed so many people during this period in history is fascinating to them. It's amazing how many of them end up crying and opening up about life and death during our discussions.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I really enjoyed Johnathon Swift during my student teaching. The kids had a lot of fun with it. I also really like our Shakespeare project where they take over and become actors! Almost all of them really get into it!

I did my honors project about a combined Mississippi Trial, 1955 and To Kill a Mockingbird unit and would love, love, love to teach it but right now it's only on paper!

9. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

Salem, 1692, is fun, as is our discussion of the Lost Cause. We also take a day and visit our dance teacher. She teaches them dance moves that take them from slavery up to the present, showing them how dances from slaves fit into dances like the Charleston and the Lindy Hop. That's tons of fun.

10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I love teaching editing to my film students. I also love our documentary unit.

11. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

I follow Brendan and list my favorites by courses

World History - Ancient China
    AP European History - World War I ~ Imperalism
    AP US ~ Gilded Age/Second IR/TR

12. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Jul 31, 2011

Lynn, I'm blanking--TR?

13. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Jul 31, 2011

Teddy Roosevelt :lol: He's my favorite and we are so tight I always refer to him as TR :lol:

14. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

I look forward to light and optics. I love doing demos and lab for that.

15. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Jul 31, 2011

My favorite lesson is our costume design unit the student draw their costumes and then we make them out of newspapers on the students. They love it and it is a great way to see their designs come to life!

16. dovian

dovian Comrade

Jul 31, 2011

Drama teach - brilliant, must remember that one! How many class periods does it take? If more than one, how do you set it up so they don't fall apart when you take them off?

My all-time favorite is the Odyssey but I don't get to teach it anymore since I have juniors now. I would teach a whole course on the Greeks if I could.

Current schedule favorites:
    11th grade: um. 11th grade is not my favorite to teach. I have enjoyed Gatsby, I guess. And I like some of the Puritans, actually.
    Drama: Writing/performing monologues, and performing small group scenes. LOVE watching the kids come to life on stage.
    IB English: Their Eyes Were Watching God - we go online and listen to Hurston's WPA recordings and talk about how the folk groups influenced her writings. Also love Antigone and discussing who the real tragic hero is.

17. outsidethelines

outsidethelines Companion

Aug 1, 2011

I have several, but one of my newest favorites is during our genetics unit. The kids are paired up and flip coins to determine various genetic traits of their "offspring." Then they must draw their offspring based on these traits (pointy ears, cleft chin, eye color, full lips, and so on). The kids have so much fun with it, and it is one of those great "learning without realizing it" activities.

18. geek412

geek412 Rookie

Aug 1, 2011

I loved this lesson in school, and was one of the reasons I decided to major in science later on!

My favorite lesson is a lab experiment where my students observe different types of reactions. The most infamous one is where students light a a gaseous second product and produces a large, "pop" or "burp" sound when done correctly. Usually the pop or burb is loud enough to disrupt the entire classroom - and can be heard into the hallway outside. The ladies of my class scream in fright, and the gentlemen always want to repeat the experiment. I love reactions. They are visible indications of the material we have studied for the past six months!

After this lab, even my quiet students can't help but be more vocal about the material.

19. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Aug 3, 2011

I love teaching about the French Revolution. Students are always shocked by the injustice of the class system that existed in France in the old regime.

If you were to ask any of my students, they would probably say that World War I or World War II are their favorite units, though!

20. Avery

Avery Rookie

Aug 6, 2011

I miss teaching Shakespeare. I used to love teaching Romeo and Juliet because the kids all expected it to be awful. They just have no idea how "cool" it really is.

In middle school, we do a really neat project with text structures where we make a lab booklet featuring causes and effects, chronological order, etc. Then we go outside and do an experiment with mentos and soda. NO ONE is off-task that day!

21. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

Let's see:
    Algebra- just about any kind of verbal problem, probably percent mixture as a favorite

Geometry- circle problems. I have one lesson that's a 25 or so part question that I love.

Trig: I like the trig IDs too!

PreCalc-- I love using matrices to solve systems of equations

Calc: I love doing derivatives by definition.