Favorite/Least Favorite thing about where you live

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by stargirl, Dec 23, 2021.

1. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 23, 2021

Since posters here live in such varied places, across the country/around the world, I'd love to hear a little bit of what you really like as well as dislike about where you live. I'm thinking more the nitty gritty of your town/city or just general area. I think it would be really interesting!

Personally, what I like best about my area is how much is within walking distance. I love that the public library is just a 5 minute walk away. I also have 3 different grocery stores that are all between a 5-10 minutes of a walk, plus 2 drugstores, and assorted other shops. There is even a really nice mall that is only a ten minute walk. Where I moved from, I had to get in my car and drive at least 10 minutes to get to any of the above, usually more.

Least favorite is the crazy traffic! There are a few places that are just a bit too far to walk to, like the bank or post office. Technically they are only a couple of miles away, but it can take 15 minutes to drive there because of traffic. And the parking lots are no fun to negotiate! There's also a lot of impatient drivers and lots of angry honking if a driver dares to take an extra second to make a right turn at a red light when there's an opening in the traffic.
    Overall though, the pros outweigh the cons and I'm satisfied with where I am, at least for now.

Anyone else want to chime in? Be as detailed or as vague as you'd like;)

Tired Teacher likes this.
  3. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2021

Geographically in a good location.

Least favorite thing, little to no industry and nothing really to do for entertainment.

stargirl likes this.
  4. creativemonster

creativemonster Cohort

Dec 23, 2021

Least favorite thing - Very densely populated. I have become hyper sensitive to sound. It's the most stressful part of my life and probably costing me health and years.

Most favorite - the warm weather.

Tired Teacher and stargirl like this.
  5. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2021

Reading your post is inspiring me to sell this place and move to civilization. ( I have been thinking about it all year.) 1 thing I love out here is it is so quiet and peaceful. It's beautiful too. (Mountains, lake, forest, even a beach 5 minutes away)
    However, the road conditions can be treacherous. I have to drive at LEAST 30 minutes to get anywhere. (stores, family, friends, PO, etc) In the winter, it is dark a lot, moose are on the roads, and winter is very long/ dark here.
    While I was working, I enjoyed the quietness out here. I still do in a lot of ways. I just dislike the winter driving conditions.
    Summer here is awesome. It is light out almost all night, It never gets too hot. I am hoping when I do move, I'll get quiet neighbors. I have memories of a couple of places that were so noisy! I don't want to hear sirens, kids screaming, and plows, and machinery especially in the early morning! :)

creativemonster and stargirl like this.
  6. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 23, 2021

Tired Teacher, that sounds like the kind of place I'd love to visit on a vacation. So peaceful and rustic.
    But in day to day life, I don't love difficult driving especially in bad weather and while commuting for work.
    That's another thing I like about where I live now, it's flat and not hilly which is much less nerve-wracking on a bad rainy day. And it's warm all year round so no more icy drives during winter. (But no possibility of snow days which is a bit of a con I admit;))

7. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2021

Most favorite thing...within 20 minutes of all the theme parks, a short drive to the beach, and it is summer year round
    Least favorite thing...I'm a little tired of summer year round and we are thinking about making a dramatic change and moving to the pacific northwest.

8. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Connoisseur

Dec 23, 2021

Yes, where I live is actually a summer tourist area. A lot of people have their 2nd homes here and stay only while the weather is good. Then they go to Hawaii or Arizona for the winter.
    I can't really afford to have 2 houses, so I am going need to sell this place to get 1 in civilization! :) Right now, it is so easy to sell, but there is so little on the market.
    I am looking for just a basic new 3 bedroom/ 2 bathroom with a garage. I am trying not to pay 10x what 1 is worth! :) It may take awhile!

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Dec 23, 2021

Best
    • low cost of living
    • rural area, so lots of space
    • people know you
    • four distinct seasons
    Worst
    • 25 miles from Walmart & Kroger
    • 50 miles from places like Costco

10. happygirl444

happygirl444 Rookie

Dec 24, 2021

The best parts are the low cost of living, no crime, small town feel, and the fact that people are fairly rational and reasonable in my area.

The worst part is the fact that families have such a long history here that outsiders have to really work at fitting in to the area.

greendream and Tired Teacher like this.
  11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Dec 24, 2021

The best part is that I can see salt water every day.

the worst part is that I’m 30-60 minutes away from a grocery store.

12. GraceKrispy

GraceKrispy Rookie

Dec 26, 2021

Best- I love my house and the easy work commute
    Worst- I hate the crime

13. Singvogel

Singvogel Rookie

Dec 27, 2021

Best- weather
    Worst- taxes and regulation

14. Colliemom

Colliemom Rookie

Dec 28, 2021

Best- I love the little town we live outside of and the rolling hills and countryside.
    Worst- Growth brought on by many people wanting to move here.

15. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Dec 28, 2021

I'm not sure I could pick just one of each. One thing that changed my perspective is that right out of college, I moved to a very isolated location where the nearest city was 3 hours away. I grew up in deep suburbia and didn't realize I was a "city person" until all of that was taken away. When I moved "to the city" I was so grateful for the smallest things- real radio stations, Target 5 minutes away, any store/necessity within a few minutes, countless entertainment options, public transit.

Likes: We have four seasons, but the weather is generally mild/pleasant most of the time. No big threat of natural disasters. Most people are fairly down to earth and friendly. Lots to do.
    Dislikes: When it does snow, we're expected to just drive in it, unless we're talking at least a foot or more. I've never adjusted to that (where I grew up, school closed for any amount of snow) even 12 years later. I get so nervous every time. It seems people are fairly transient. It's easy to make friends, because there are so many transplants, but the flip side is that almost every friend I've made has moved away during my time here. So I'm constantly having to "start over."

In the past couple of years crime has gotten a lot worse. I wonder if that's the case everywhere, though. When I was in my 20s and went downtown every weekend, I never felt unsafe or worried. It seems very different now.

16. stargirl

stargirl Comrade

Dec 28, 2021

Interesting you bring up crime, waterfall. There was a lot of crime in my old city, but I guess we were just used to it and didn't think about it. There were lots of stores/parking lots that were fine midday, but once it got dark, you just avoided. The only 7-11 I felt comfortable going to at night was the one where police officers were always in and out (they used the store's bathroom). Everyone used a "club" to lock their steering wheel in place to deter thieves. But it wasn't unusual for cars to be vandalized, i.e. windows smashed, tires slashed. It happened to me twice and I just had to suck it up and pay for repairs. The police were resigned to this sort of thing and usually wouldn't even bother to officially report it.

Where I live now, it feels much safer. I'm still getting used to the novelty of walking to a drugstore at night and not looking over my shoulder the whole time!

17. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

Jan 3, 2022

Best
    • rural area, so lots of space
    • people know you
    • four distinct seasons
    Worst
    • 100 miles from Walmart & Target

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 4, 2022

We have good restaurants in my area. We are close enough to NYC to go visit if we want but far enough (if you know what I mean). You can always find something to do if you look hard enough! Lots of variety for shopping. The only thing is that I wish we had a Trader Joe close by.
    In my immediate area I wish I lived in a neighborhood where I could walk around like those towns in the Hallmark movies (if you know, you know). My town is small but I live in the part of town with no sidewalks so it's not fun walking to the cafe, library, etc. Another negative is the weather since I hate snow and wish I lived somewhere where it was between 60 and 75 degrees year round.

19. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jan 4, 2022

I would love to live close enough to the libarary so I could just walk there whenever I wanted. Right now I "could" walk (less than a mile and a half from my house) but it's a hassle since there are only sidewalks once you get into town and when I try to walk to town I end up dodging traffic and walking on some lawns so I don't get run over!

stargirl likes this.
  20. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2022

Even light ice gets you a virtual work from home day!!

21. whizkid

whizkid Connoisseur

Jan 21, 2022

And hotdog am I working hard.........

Working hard on those waffles, bacon and sausage.