Favorite hors d'oeuvres?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MuggleBug, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2008

I don't have time to buy sausage today but I think I will try them for New Years! Thanks for the recipe.

2. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Dec 24, 2008

Here's another easy cream cheese one. Spread softened cream cheese out over a cookies sheet. Pour cocktail sauce on top and then top with baby shrimp. Serve with Wheat Thins. This one is yummy!

I also love pouring a bottle of jalapeno jelly over a block of cream cheese and serving w/crackers. I love the combo of the sweet/spicy of the jelly with the creaminess of the cream cheese.

Another yummy appetizer...cut slices of mozzarella cheese (thin), top with a tomato slice and pesto sauce. Simple and delicious!

We always use barbeque sauce and grape jelly on our meatballs.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2008

These are all great ideas! Is it weird that I would prefer a spread of hors d'oeuvres over a full meal? :blush:

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2008

:hugs:
    Not weird at all--appetizers will be dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow at my house.

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2008

I'm thinking of doing that tonight. I just don't feel like cooking a big meal since we will be doing so much tomorrow. Our New Years Eve tradition is to eat snacks and hors d'oeuvres all night in front of the TV watching the countdown!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2008

My favorite part of any wedding is the cocktail hour.. I love nibbling on a bit of this and a bit of that :)

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 24, 2008

Mine too!

8. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 24, 2008

We only have snacks on Christmas Eve. This year potato soup, little smokies as pigs in the blanket, sausage balls, cheese ball, crackers, dip, and candy tray. This is a big part of our tradition. All done ahead of the time so we can relax with the kids. We open presents tonight so the tree is empty for Santa.

9. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Dec 24, 2008

that's what we eat for Christmas. We have shrimp, meatballs, cheese, of course jello ( I live in Utah), dips , and chips. It is less stressful and my son has always worked on Christmas or gone snowboarding, so he can eat when he gets home. We are trying Raspberry martinis this year, can't wait!

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 24, 2008

Yummm--try one for me too!

11. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 25, 2008

We do that too! Since you live in NY, why don't you go watch the ball drop?

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 25, 2008

I hate to break it to you but not everyone who lives in NY (it is a HUGE state) is close enough to NYC to watch the ball drop. I like a quiet New Years at home anyway.

13. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Dec 25, 2008

Two of my favorites are Candied Kielbasi and Bacon Roll-ups. I also have several hot artichoke dips that are great, too.

For the Candied Kielbasi use 2 pounds of sliced kielbasi. Mix together 1/2 cup ketsup, 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup horseradish. Mix well. Add the kielbasi and simmer for about 1 hour. I have also used cocktail weiners.

For the bacon roll ups:
    1 pound bacon (use a good brand)
    fresh bread crumbs (about 5 slices)
    1 large Granny Smith apple diced
    1/2 cup onion diced
    1 egg
    1/4 cup milk
    1 tablespoon parsley
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper.

Mix everything together gently except the bacon.
    Cut each slice of bacon in half. Put about a scant teaspoon of the mixture in the middle of the bacon slice. Roll up and secure with a toothpick.
    Lay roll-ups on a rack that that been placed over a cookie sheet or use your broiler pan. Bake at 350 degrees for about 35 minutes.
    Can be made ahead and frozen.

14. Doug_HSTeach_07

Doug_HSTeach_07 Comrade

Dec 25, 2008

I really took the easy way out, as I was also in charge of providing the hors d'oeuvres for our family Christmas. I got mini corn dogs, hot pockets, and jalepeno poppers. It was just our immediate family gathering and they loved everything!

15. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

A great and easy desert is chocolate chip cheese ball.

I have never made a single serving, I always do at least a double (sometimes 4 times)

Single serving is:
    1 8 oz stick of cream cheese (can't be lowfat)
    1 stick of butter (has to be real butter)
    1 cup of powdered sugar
    1/4 t vanilla
    1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup chopped pecans

Cream the butter and cream cheese together (if you substitute low-fat cream cheese or margarine for butter it will never form up). Then add sugar and vanilla. Fold in chips and nuts. You can just put it in a bowl or wrap in glad wrap and chill for an hour, then form into a ball and roll in more chips, pecans, or graham cracker crumbs. (I usually make 2 without pecans and 2 with, then I roll the one without pecans in chips and the one with in pecans.) Serve with graham crackers (the sticks work great). It is waaaaaaay fattening, but so good. I made some and brought to my new school as a thank-you and it was gone in just over an hour.

16. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Dec 26, 2008

If you can serve them hot another favorite is Deer Doovers

All you need is either the backstrap from a deer, or chicken tenders will work, too
    cream cheese (not softened!)
    jalepeno slices
    bacon strips cut in half (thicker cut works better)
    Italian salad dressing
    toothpicks

Cut up the meat into bite size pieces and mariante overnight in the salad dressing. Then assemble, on each slice of bacon, in the middle place a piece of meat, a pat of cream cheese, and a jalepeno slice. Then roll the bacon up and secure with a toothpick. They taste best from the grill, but you can cook them in the oven, too. I use thicker bacon and cook at 300 for about 20 minutes, but you really have to watch it. It all depends on how thick the meat is, how thick the bacon is, etc. You can finish it off in a hot skillet if your bacon doesn't get crisp. Yummy!!!!

17. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

Dec 26, 2008

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Kidding right?

That's a nightmare! but something everyone should do once in life.

18. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Dec 26, 2008

O my bad. I did not think about that!

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 27, 2008

....eeek...with bazillions of people packed in, very few bathrooms, eek...not my idea of a glamorous fun way to ring in the new year...nope, fabulous dinner out, chocolate fondue at home with some champagne sounds great to me....

20. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Dec 28, 2008

That sounds good to me too! I think i'll add chocolate fondue to the New years eve menu.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 28, 2008

Yum! I've got some chocolate from my students I'm thinking of melting down!!