Favorite healthy recipes?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dgpiaffeteach, Aug 2, 2014.

1. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 2, 2014

I'm in a weight loss competition through my school that ends in two weeks. I've been doing pretty well exercising (new dog has certainly helped that!) but I need to change my eating habits. I'd like to make it a permanent change too!

What's your favorite healthy recipe? I love meat and easy to cook dishes. I just learned how to use the grill so I'm loving that too! Casseroles are awesome and I love my crock pot. I don't like seafood. I like most veggies, but hate mushrooms!

TIA!

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 2, 2014

I eat a lot of grilled chicken with various seasonings right now. I also really like chicken and black bean tostadas.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 2, 2014

We just got a spiralizer which is a machine that cuts veggies into spirals that are like pasta. We have been eating zucchini "noodles" and it is way healthier than pasta. I'm still experimenting with different sauces but so far I've tried tomato sauce and pesto. Most of your favorite meals can be made healthier by just substituting a few ingredients.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2014

I LOVE this website:

http://www.emilybites.com/

Everything I've made has been awesome, and the serving sizes are big. I hate when I see a "healthy" recipe that is only low calorie because the serving is 1/16th of the dish or something. Most recipes are really quick. I've never been into cooking at all, but I've been working through these recipes all summer! I've probably cooked more meals this summer than I have in the past two years, lol. And I've lost 15 pounds!

6. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 3, 2014

I have been low carb-ing it for awhile now and seeing great results from eating this way..and I am VERY satisfied :D

My weekly meals:

~grilled/marinated chicken, brown rice w/sautéed broccoli

~broccoli & cheese quiche w/large ceasar salad

~home made meatloaf, sautéed broccoli w/cauliflower mash

~italian sausage, string beans w/veggie or ceasar salad

~cheese omelet, sausage links w/tomato & cucumber salad

***My favorite....grilled shrimp or baked salmon--any kind of seafood, brown rice w/tomato & cucumber salad!!!

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 3, 2014

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 3, 2014

I need to cut back & lose some weight too...NOT to get ready for the school year, but to be in better health anyway & because some relatives I haven't seen in yrs will be visiting in as soon as probably a month (hopefully longer) & I want to lose as much as I can!

I know a lot of people eat several small meals throughout the day...as long as you eat the right things those several times. I need to try that...several times a day of mostly fruits & veggies, along w/ exercise.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 4, 2014

You often post about eating out, fast food and convenience food items, ms I. Do you think these choices play into your weight concerns? I find I can eat out once or twice a week and maintain/lose weight with healthy menu choices plus working out...but it can be difficult.

10. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 4, 2014

Can I come live with your pretty please? :lol:
    I love to cook but rarely do during the school year since I stay busy. Plus it's difficult to cook for only one person.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2014

Here's an easy chicken dish that tastes like it has far more calories than it does:

Dust skinless, boneless chicken breasts with chili powder and arrange in a baking pan with onion wedges and bell pepper pieces (I cut in quarters or eighths). Pour a jar of salsa over the chicken and veggies, cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes, until chicken is almost cooked. Remove foil, top with some grated cheese (I use about 1/2 cup for 4 chicken breasts, but you can alter the amount) and return to the oven until chicken is fully cooked and cheese is bubbly. Serve with rice or tortillas if you'd like.

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2014

Thinking of spiralized veg 'pasta' tonight.:p

13. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 5, 2014

Since I got my machine I have been making this twice per week. I'm making it tonight with a light version of an alfredo sauce.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2014

That sounds delish. I think I'll make some sort of pasta dish tonight! :thumb:

15. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Aug 5, 2014

I should look into getting one of these!

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2014

Making with pesto, artichokes and peas.:p

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 6, 2014

Green smoothies
    Fruit smoothies
    Grilled chicken
    Cheerios :)