Favorite First Day Books!

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by OhThePlaces, Aug 23, 2012.

1. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 23, 2012

I'm a first year preschool teacher and our first day of school is Tuesday. :D I met my kiddos today at orientation. I have eight 3 year olds... 6 boys and two girls. I'd love to know what your favorite books are for the first day? I know about The Kissing Hand (I read it on the first day when I taught 2nd grade). Any other great books that will keep 3 year olds engaged?

3. lilkidteach

lilkidteach Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

I have been reading Llama Llama Misses Mama for the last couple of years. Even my little ones (3 yr olds) are able to sit and listen to it on the first day, it is much shorter than The Kissing Hand. I read Maisy Goes to Preschool on the second day, I liked it because it talked about what she did in preschool but it wasn't about her first day.

4. mrs_sarahscott

mrs_sarahscott Rookie

Aug 24, 2012

I have the same books, but I also wanted to add How Do Dinosaurs Go to School?

:) Sarah

5. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Aug 24, 2012

Too funny... Those two (Llama llama... and How Do Dinosaurs...) were on my mind when I posted this thread!

My own 3 year old LOVES the Llama Llama series as well as the Jane Yolen Dinosaur books, so I thought they'd be great first day/week books. I think the second one would be a great conversation starter about class rules too. I'm going to order them on Amazon. :)

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2012

What about I Like Me.

7. LovetoteachPREK

LovetoteachPREK Companion

Aug 24, 2012

"Hi Harry," the story of a tortoise who made a friend (or something like that)

Will I Have a Friend? (don't know the author, older book but awesome for first day.)

Spot Goes to School

How Do Dinosaurs Play with their Friends? (board book - but great for this age group)

I'm really big on books about "friends"!!!

8. beckyeduk8er

beckyeduk8er Comrade

Aug 25, 2012

I will be doing My Teacher is My Friend, and Llama, LLama Misses Mama, . I also like to do "David Goes To School" before we create our classroom rules.