Favorite field trip?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Upsadaisy, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

We are going to plan our field trips for the year on Monday. What has been your favorite day trip other than theater/music/dance performances?

3. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 17, 2007

In second grade we went to the Desert Botanical Gardens. It was pretty cool because of the Butterfly Garden.

Last year we went to the zoo, which was a lot of fun, and the Science Center. We went to the planetarium and that was really cool! We are going to repeat the same two field trips this year.

What made them exciting was that they tied into the curriculum. What kinds of units do you teach?

4. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 17, 2007

Last year, the best and easiest field trip we went on was to the beach. We saw all of the tide pools, and the animals we had been studying.

I also take my class to a children's film festival every year. I do a short unit on film studies and we see the films. They are usually from all over the world, and many have sub titles, and are just great for the kids. This is quite different than a theatre performance, and often the first independent films they have seen.

5. cristib

cristib Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I really liked taking my class to lunch at a buffet. We focus on making healthy food choices and allow each child to choose one "unhealthy" food. (deep fried food, desert, pop) It is really hard to do, even for the teachers and the chaperones! We usually do this field trip after we go to the grocery store for a behind the scenes tour. (Field Trip Factory online sets it up at a nearby Giant Eagle).

6. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2007

I really enjoyed taking my 2nd graders to a live production of "Charlotte's Web" last year!! We read the book, watched the movie (animated older version), then we went to see the live production/play. My kids were soooo very excited to go, that's all they talked about for 2 months!! We went right around the same time that the motion picture came out so it was lots of fun. And anyway, not too many inner city kids get to go to plays and things like that. I wanted so badly to have them experience this with me. It is something they will always remember.

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

We have to find trips that at least 4 classes agree on so we can fill the bus (which the school has to pay for). That makes it hard to choose something to coordinate with a topic. There is a wonderful theater about 2 miles away, and we have been going there a few times a year, but we are tired of that.

In the past we have gone to a wetlands, science museum/planetarium, turtle rescue center, Native American pow wow, boat tour on river in Ft Lauderdale ......

8. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 17, 2007

We enjoy a trip to a Japanese Steak House after a 3 month study on Japan. Then we head over to the international food store and look at things there too.

9. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 17, 2007

Hands down, our local fire station! I have been working with the local fire stations ed. officer for the last 6 years. We have periodic planned visits involving fire prevention & safety, 911 calling which also includes the County Emergency Preparedness Ed Liason, Escape Plans, CPR on a small scale, Bicycle safety, Summer/Water Safety, etc. It's wonderful learning for the kids and a great opportunity for students to learn about & appreciate some areas of community service providers. As a culminating activity and celebration of our learning we head to the fire station. It's a blast, from a tour of the fire house, checking out the emergency med. units including hands-on practice with bandaging and using the gerny(sp?), fire engine tour as well as a trip in the bucket up the ladder truck, opportunities to hit targets using the fire hoses, and a race between fire fighters to see who is quickest getting in gear. The fire fighters love being with the kids and the kids love the fire fighters...we end the day with group shots as well as autographs on the plastic fire fighter helmets the kids receive. It's exhausting but in a great way! I take about 200 pictures of the day!

10. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 18, 2007

I looked on field trip factory and the only place on there was Petco. I typed in all the zipcodes I know for my area, and then a few out of state.. still just Petco!

11. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Aug 18, 2007

After learning about colonial times, we took our 5th graders (two years ago) to an old colonial homestead. The kids got to play colonial games, make crafts, and tour the house. There were 9 different stations that they went to in all. It was a blast.
    This past year, I took my kinders to the theatre to see "The rainbow Fish."
    I am looking at the insectarium this year! They would get to hold and even EAT some insects!!!

12. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Aug 18, 2007

Thanks for reminding me about our local fire station! I used to take my Head Start kids all the time but I didn't think about taking my 2nd graders. I guess I thought it was repetitive because I'm thinking most Kindergarten-1st grade teachers take their classes to the fire station. But thanks, I'll definately make that a field trip this year.

13. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

Every year we goto a play, the museum, and other cultural events - but my favorite each year, and the hands down favorite of my kids' is a trip to a local farmer. She shows us how she makes maple syrup and then we get to see her animals... The kids talk about this trip until the last day of school.

14. peachieteachie

peachieteachie Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

When I was in elementary school one year we went to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and that was a lot of fun for us. Also, in middle school we went to New York City and that was also a blast! Those were the days...

15. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

My favorite field trip was taking the kids to dig for fossils. It poured all day long and there wasn't a single complaint from any of the mud covered, smiling, treasure loaded kids! I know that there's places in Florida where fossils can be found.

Another cool place was the Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls, Canada. This is too far away from Florida, but maybe you have one nearby where you are.

16. gab

gab Comrade

Aug 18, 2007

I had thought that it might be repetitive as well since I have taken my 1st graders for years and when I moved up to second, the 1st grade teachers continued with the program. It hasn't been a problem and my kids loved going this years as much and maybe even more than last year.

17. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 18, 2007

We go to a ghost town. It's set up like an old mining town, with all these different buildings, and things in the buildings like there might have been back in mining times. There's even a small "min" to go through. The kids really enjoy it, and it fits perfectly with our Arizona history curriculum.

18. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Aug 18, 2007

I teach 2nd grade and our district curriculum is communities. In the middle of studing our community we went to the history museum. This was great because we are on a military base and the museum is free, we just had to pay for buses, which cost a lot even though they are district owned (grrrr).

We also went on a field trip to the zoo because it linked to our communities unit (animal communities) and to our plant unit since our zoo has a bunch of stuff on the plants they grow there.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 18, 2007

Two years ago the students did a research project on an animal. The teacher picked (purposely using animals she knew would be in an upcoming fieldtrip to the zoo...shhhh). After we finished the projects, we made a trip to the zoo and the kids were so excited to identify their animals. They were remembering each other's presentation and identifying which animal belongs to who the entire trip. We took pictures of each animal with the student who did a presentation on that animal.

20. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 19, 2007

St. Augustine, St. Augustine!!! Restored in Spanish power, though the city was burned to shambles... :woot:

That's been our song for our class play forever.

I cannot even go into words how incredible that trip has been the past three years. FUN, unforgettable, historical, educational, and a great bonding experience for my class... I hope we can continue to attend because we're the only class that has attended from 4th. We go on a train tour, visit pen pals, and go to the lighthouse/museum. We finish out at the beach for dinner and a group photo!

Besides that, I really like our trip to the environmental center. We're going sometime around October 22nd this year. We pour a mold for deer tracks, look through microscopes, and go on a nature scavenger hunt all the way down to the river. It's truly an OUTSTANDING time for the class, and I bring extra food to make lunch time fun. Last year's parents were extremely involved- probably around 8 attended out of 20, which made the trip even more exciting.

We've also:
    -Seen The Polar Express at the movie theater (2004-2005)- Ehhh. It was ok.
    -Been to a Civil War re-enactment. (2005-2006)- The only thing that made it a downer was that those who were asthmatic were having a very difficult time.
    -Went to City Hall to decorate the Christmas tree. (2006-2007)- GREAT trip, just short... and we got back before 12:00. However, the kindergarteners from our Book Buddy class and our class really bonded that day! We're probably doing this again in Dec.

I still have yet to visit a museum besides one in St. Augustine. We've been to the lighthouse and museum on the lighthouse grounds... but best of all is a place like MOSI (Museum of Science and Industry) and probably the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 19, 2007

Where was the civil war reenactment?

Our 6th graders go to St. Augustine so they have to wait for that. We can't do an overnight trip with the younger ones.

We've been to our local Norton Museum of Art, which is quite good. We saw the King Tut exhibit two years ago in Ft Lauderdale. Did you see it? One of our teachers is Native American, so I think we will probably go to the Seminole reservation. They have a great museum there, supposedly.

I want to go on a tour of a wetlands, if we can get in. Public schools snag all the spots. I like it because the kids wade for specimens, then examine them. All led by the guides.

22. Mommy2wad

Mommy2wad Rookie

Aug 19, 2007

I am not sure what grade you teach, but last year we took our second graders to visit the Texas Rangers Ballpark. It was great--a tour of the facility and museum, playtime in the children's museum, and lunch outside in the bleachers. I highly recommend something like this if you are near a big league ballpark. You will be surprised at the number of Dads that come as chaperones!