Favorite Field Trip? Least Favorite?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by scholarteacher, May 24, 2010.

1. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 24, 2010

What is your favorite field trip to take with kindergarten? Your least favorite?
    Favorite--the Zoo! I'm always hot and tired, but I love the zoo, and seeing the kids experience the animals for the first time
    Least Favorite--Museums! Trying to keep them together and keep their hands off things...... :eek:

3. firstgurl85

firstgurl85 Companion

May 24, 2010

We went to a local theater last year to see a Junie B Jones play. The kids LOVED it and they all sat really well. Most of them had never seen a play before so it was a great new experience!

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

May 24, 2010

I hate, hate, HATE the zoo. It's hot and crowded, and I'm always afraid I'm going to lose a kid. We live close enough to do the DC zoo, which is open on all sides to streets, and I live in fear that a kid is going to wander off into a neighborhood and be lost forever. I don't do the zoo - but have been numerous times as a parent.

Favorite: a local aviation museum for preschoolers. VERY hands-on - they let the kids climb in and practice flying planes, there is a lego airport station, a paper airplane making/flying area, a dress-like-an-aviator lesson, an airmail delivery model that they can use....etc. There is a very short movie (4 minutes) that they enjoy. There is a real airport for small planes attached and we can watch planes land and take off and there is an outdoor airport themed playground. And it's small (I can stand in one area and see the entire inside portion) and cheap ($2 a kid). I can't think of a better 2 hours (including lunch).

5. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

May 25, 2010

We have on Zoo/Museum in Jos. Love the zoo!! The cages aren't what they are in the first world, so I have to tell the kids not to get too close to the hyenas so no one loses a hand... you can feed the chimps by hand (or get peed on if you stand too close)... always interesting. :D

Hate the museum. Kids aren't interested in the historical stuff or paintings, and the masquerade costumes scare them.

6. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

May 25, 2010

PS Kimrandy, try having a high parent-to-student ratio on the trip. Each parent is responsible for a small group of kids, so you don't go crazy! Been to the DC zoo and I would hate to try keeping track of a couple dozen 6 year olds there!!

7. Blue

Blue Aficionado

May 26, 2010

I love having someone come in. That way children are in their comfort area. Favorites are ambulance and fire truck. Both are hands on, and let kids try things out.

8. scholarteacher

scholarteacher Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

I bet there are some incredible animals and experiences there! I'd love to see it!

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 26, 2010

Bird Sanctuary... Birds all over & some you can feed. Kinda like a zoo, but with not so many bars. It also helps birds that are hurt, why there are cages or nets for them to recoup.

10. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

May 26, 2010

I think my favorite trips are ones where we go hiking and creeking and do some hands-on science stuff.

I don't really have a least favorite. I've never had a bad field trip, really.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

May 26, 2010

We have a children's theater in Houston and we had a blast seeing a play of Junie B. Jones. I have enjoyed the zoo in the past, wish we could do both. We have a lot of parents that go and it ends up with groups of 4 kids with at least 2 parents, so I feel ok about them keeping up with them.

12. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

May 26, 2010

My all-time favorite we planned around a Hispanic Heritage Unit. Toured a local Fiesta grocery store then went to lunch at a Mexican restaurant. The kids all dressed up and we talked some about etiquette before we went. The people who worked at the store were amazing-kids saw the security system and how they cleaned the fish, baked the cakes. We also go to Minute Maid Park where the Astros play and get a behind-the-scenes tour. I think it's good local history.

I don't think I have a least favorite. I can tolerate the zoo-but I also worry all the time. When I worked as a TA the class lost a student-we spent over an hour searching for him. The parent came and met the class there but didn't tell anyone, she just took her son to look at the rest of the exhibits! :eek:

13. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

May 29, 2010

My least favorite is the zoo! I also am afraid I will loose a child. There are so many classes of children there, I look up and one of mine is walking away with another school! Terrifying!
    I love our performing arts center. We walk in a line off the bus, into the theater, into the row of seats, and walk out the same way. They put on great plays, and the kids are controllable and manageable. Not scary at all cause I can see everyone all in my row! lol. I also love a hands on aquarium, but the school I am at now doesn't allow trips that far. Good thread!

14. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

May 30, 2010

Really, I would not go anywhere without several parents to help. And I ask each one to take charge of a small group-- three or four children, if possible. Otherwise it's traumatic!

15. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 30, 2010

We have only ever gone to:

-A play at a local theater (it varies from year to year)-they are always pretty good, and the field trip is very easy!
    -A Hospital tour-Last year this was AWESOME, but this year it wasn't...We had to wait for a very long time, they were running late at most of our stops, and the kids were bored.