Favorite Fall Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by wann2119, Oct 1, 2008.

1. wann2119

wann2119 Rookie

Oct 1, 2008

What are your favorite fall activities, crafts, etc.? I am looking for some fun things to do in class. On Monday I painted the kids' arms brown, and painted their hands red, yellow, and orange. We pressed them onto large contruction paper several times to make fall forest trees.

3. TulipsGirl

TulipsGirl Cohort

Oct 1, 2008

oooooooooooooohhhh --- sounds messy!!!!! but fun :wub:

4. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 1, 2008

Well I work with 3 yr olds at my church so anything we do has to be fall orentented (no holloween ). I buy fake small pumpkins and let the kids paint on them. I let them do lots of Thanksgiving stuff.
    Examples: We write on slips of paper things we are thankful for and put them in a brown paper baggy and lable the outside things "I am thankful for"
    We do handprint turkeys paint the hand brown put our handprint on construction paper use the thumb as a face and draw legs and put different colored fethers over where the 4 fingers are.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 1, 2008

I think "forest" is a great way to get all of the trees, creatures, colors and even produce (the farms are near the forest you know) all in without ever having to talk about halloween. The neighborhood ideas lead you to trick or treating, but that isn't the case in the fall woods.

We read 3 little bears, work with porridge and so on early in month. Staying pretty clear of the holiday.

6. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2008

Leaf rubbings are a fun thing to do too.

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Oct 1, 2008

I love making pictures out of leaves. There's a great book with inspirational pictures: Look What I Did With a Leaf.

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 2, 2008

We can do fall harvest type things. We tend to lead more in Oct-Nov. with things we are thankfully for and nature and how God created it. Our activites do not all have to be bible based for example: We can do some turkey stuff for thanksgiving. We just can't do anything evil or that goes against our religion example: holloween -whiches, spiders ,ghosts

9. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 2, 2008

That is what I am saying. We use the woods for that stuff as well as the "thankful" theme. We are an all day, everyday, so we get a lot done sometimes. We do dark (fall tranisition), cool weather, trees (bark, leaves, colors), nocturnal animals are up when we sleep, squirrels/nuts-all against the fall forest background so that we are so far away from the neighborhood scenes the children aren't doing the trick or treat ideas. I was just saying it works really well for us, and agreeing with you "other things to do" feeling.:thumb:

10. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

We can't talk about Halloween either but will probably have the kids bring in pictures of them in their costumes because they get so excited about their costumes.

11. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2008

oh Fall is my favorite time of the year! Tomorrow I'm going to have the kids paint pictures of pumpkins; when dry; they'll cut them out and we'll use them on the bulletin board! Fun!

12. keep_smiling

keep_smiling Rookie

Oct 2, 2008

drawing on pumpkins with washable markers. Instead of a chalkboard or dry-erase board I get 2 large pumpkins and kids can color away on them. I give them a wet wash cloth and a couple paper towels. When they are done they can wash off their creation then dry the pumpkin for the next child to use. No halloween, just coloring.

13. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Oct 2, 2008

I printed out a picture of a pumpkin colorsheet with the eyes nose and mouth being colored yellow and the stem at top brown and the body of course orange. I typed at the bottom"Shine with light of Jesus" . (This is for my 3yr olds at church)
    We wil do that sunday after this beacuse they are making picture frames this week out of craft sticks with premade pics I took with my digital camera and got developed at Walmart.

14. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Oct 2, 2008

We go heavy into pumpkins. We stuff brown lunch bags with shredded paper, tie off the top, and paint the bag orange, leaving the brown "stem" where they hold the bag while painting. We hammer golf tees into a large pumpkin. We paint a large pumpkin in lots of colors, a 3D painting experience. After scooping out guts, we put a cut up pumpkin into a large clear container with a lid and watch it decompose (really gross). Math: how many pumpkins tall (using die-cuts); heavier or lighter than a large pumpkin. Sew pumpkin beanbags for two months of fun. Can you guess I love pumpkins?

15. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Oct 2, 2008

You know those tiny pumpkins that have no meat on the inside. We stacked up two or three of those, added acorns, silk leaves, sticks, silk flowers and beans and hot glue and created autumn snowmen. No halloween, way more like snowmen then jack. They were sweet all lined up!!!

We also have painted the other squashes different colors. If you use tempera you can even wash it off and eat it-or compost it.

16. imat

imat Rookie

Oct 2, 2008

17. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Oct 3, 2008

Leaf Man by Lois Ehlert is a great book to show how to make pictures out of leaves.

I also have the kids collect "small" leaves, needles, acorns, berries, etc. I outline their names on a large piece of construction. Then they glue "leaves" along the lines of their names. I always get lots of compliments if I put them in the hall.