Favorite Dr. Jean (or other) songs

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by maebowler, Sep 21, 2008.

1. maebowler

maebowler Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

My afternoon class loves music (which is great for me). Right now we only have 3 songs that I have done with them and would like to add more. The three we have now are Tooty Ta, Peanut Butter, and "the boogie" as they call it. It is really The 10 Commandment Boogie by GoFish. What song(s) would you recommend I introduce to them as well that would fit well with the list? I should know but am drawing a blank.

3. 4myclass

4myclass Cohort

Sep 21, 2008

Our students loved "Tony Chestnut". All my CD's are in storage, so can't remember who sings it. It is a male, though.
    Anyway, most words in the song are body parts and you point to the part.
    For example, Tony (toe, knee). You also have movements, such as- "And his sister Eileen (you lean). Eileen loves Neal (kneel) and Neal loves Pat (pat your knee), but Pat still loves Bob (bob your head.) etc, etc.
    We actually taught this song to the older students in our school and it was so funny watching them try to follow along and the Pre-k students thought they were so special because they taught "Big Kids" something that they didn't know.

4. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Sep 21, 2008

I like Dr. Jean's Rules Rap, Money Song, Who Let the Letter's Out & Pepperoni Pizza
    Greg & Steve are my absolute Favorite for little kids (I love the Kids in Motion CD the best).

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 21, 2008

All of these songs are great and fun. In addition to these, especially those of Dr. Jean, I live to add Ella Jenkins (call and response games), Bev Bos (Emotion Development) and then I really like to sing the old songs like "Shoo Fly" and "Swing Lo Sweet Chariot".

When my class is centered around music-I love to use that explore other cultures music and dance as well. Think of the great in house field trips that could come from this. You might end up being the room to find on unplanned or low key days!! Keep going - let us know how your work goes.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 21, 2008

Ooooooh Oooooh BIG Dr. Jean fan here. We do a lot of her songs. I even made my own mix of our fav songs from all her CD's so I wouldn't have to CD search for our songs. I even made my students a copy for home (PLEASE, don't anyone harp on me about copyright laws... Dr. Jean doesn't have a CD mix like I have and I can't afford to buy all my 18 kids 9 CD's a piece.)

We do Babyfish as our opener, Alligator is my friend, Pizza Hut, 5 little monkeys, 5 little hotdogs, Who let the letters out, Vowel chants, and several others.

We also have the STORYTOWN kindergarden level CD of songs we do and the Lakeshore Learnings Songbank.

7. TXMom&Teacher

TXMom&Teacher Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

We LOVE Dr. Jean in my class, I teach the 3's. Tooty Ta is one of my faves, along with Peanut Butter, Boom Chicka Boom, Boogaloo, Hello Friend (this is a good starter song in the mornings). I love her days of the week and the months songs in English and Spanish as well.:D

8. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Sep 21, 2008

Laurie Berkner! Specifically her "Whaddya Think of That" album with the songs:

My Energy
    I'm Gonna Catch You
    Drive My Car

They are all very high energy and so much fun!

I also adore Jim Gill (and his music ;))

9. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Sep 21, 2008

And don't forget Hap Palmer!

10. cgibbs7

cgibbs7 Rookie

Sep 21, 2008

We do "Peanut Butter" daily in my Grade 1 class. The kids love it!

11. dropshot

dropshot New Member

Sep 21, 2008

Sorry but I'm probably in the minority here. I can't stand Dr. Jean!! Nothing against the songs or words, it's her voice that grates on me. The kids love the Tooty Ta song. I just wish someone else were singing it.

12. K3 teacher

K3 teacher Companion

Sep 21, 2008

There is a Hip Hop version of Tooty Ta by Jack Hartman. The kids love it. Dr. Jean's voice does not bother me much but we have a Pre K teacher who absolutely can not stand her voice.

13. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Sep 21, 2008

Dr. Jean's voice is somewhat annoying, but the kids love her songs. I play Tidy Up two times and the kids sing while they clean up at the end of center time. I don't have to say anything. It's wonderful. Chicka Boom is great when studying the five senses for high and low sounds. They love Who Let the Letters Out?. I like the Steve and Greg songs too.

14. gpsysngbrd

gpsysngbrd Companion

Sep 21, 2008

We use Macarena Months everyday at group time and my kids LOVE Bear Hunt and Tooty Ta (which we make every poor unsuspecting new adult who comes into our room do). We are hitting Lettercise hard to help the kids with their letter sounds but have to remind them we are punching the letters out in the air...not eachother!

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 22, 2008

Oh yeah, her voice isn't the best in the world but I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so I don't know which would be worse. Well, probably when I sing along with the CD... you get the both of us singing.... EEEeekkk!!! COVER YOUR EARS!! LOL