Favorite Cooperative Learning Structure

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jan 22, 2017.

1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 22, 2017

What are your go-to methods for keeping kids engaged during a lesson?

I'm thinking of Kagan structures, Whole Brain Teaching strategies, or any other kind, so share whatever you use. Sometimes I find I'm doing something but just not calling it by the name it's known by in certain programs. For example, I use this one (below) with table groups and recently found out it's a Kagan thing. I also do Think-Pair-Share a lot.

[​IMG]

3. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 23, 2017

I don't use Kagan structures, although I have read about them and tried a few over the years.

What I try to do, struggle, fail, and have huge success with is simply trying to get students to have conversations about topics. I try to model all day long what a conversation looks like about academics. I then group students and simply encourage them to have discussions, help, challenge, question, answer each other while working on their work(each student is responsible for their own product/work).

I do not group or use Kagan Structures for novelty, it is simply about encouraging conversations versus talking at each other.

I will do jigsaw groupings, not for novelty, but for grouping students with certain types of problems that I want certain groups to answer. For example English language learners together, GATE students together, mixed ability groups together...etc.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 23, 2017

I've never thought of using jigsaw to differentiate like that, that's a good idea.

5. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Jan 23, 2017

Yeah you can use a text and write specific questions that your EL students can access and then group them for that problem. That way they are having a discussion about academics and feel successful being able to answer it.

You can also set the groups where the group itself scaffolds the learning for certain students. I put them in a group where the question is just a bit out of their reach and group them with a few students who will be able to solve it and try to get them to have a discussion, helping to pull that student up to the tougher thinking question.

Put a student who typically struggles, but I successful with a certain skill in a group where the student will be able to help those in his/her group.

yellowdaisies likes this.
  6. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 23, 2017

I've been Kagan trained, but to be perfectly honest I haven't been using them much this year! Sad. Hmm...maybe I'll fix that. I have a class this year that would probably thrive with the structures.

I've always loved quiz, quiz, trade, but it can be heavier on the prep work, depending on what you're doing.

I also really like rally coach. I used to use that in math a lot, but I'm not so sure it'd work well with my current class. I may try it anyway.

I've always liked using numbered heads together for review.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 23, 2017

Turn and talk

8. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 23, 2017

This is the simplest, and my favorite really. No one is confused about what to do, and it's quick and easy. I have my kids turn and talk many times each day.

nstructor likes this.
  9. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

I love quiz-quiz-trade! I think I learned about it from one of your posts. To ease the prep, I usually have students make the trading cards. That way everyone starts with one they know and I find we get a good mixture of difficulty.

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

Another good, easy activity is Scoot. You can use task cards or cut up problems from a worksheet - one per desk.

"Scoot! is a whole-class educational game that your students will love. Place a question card on each desk in your classroom. To play, students move around the room, from desk to desk, answering questions or solving math problems."

https://www.superteacherworksheets.com/scoot.html

When I do it, I either say "Scoot!" or ring a bell to let them know they need to move to the next desk. I do it with really short answer questions - for example, right down the plural form of these singular nouns (one noun on each desk).

11. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jan 24, 2017

Um, that's genius. Why have I never thought of that? Totally doing this soon.. :D

MissScrimmage likes this.
  12. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

I love Scoot! Haven't done it for a while, but I'm already thinking of a few ways I can use it in the next few weeks.

otterpop likes this.
  13. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 24, 2017

:D I like it a lot, because it's really structured but also fun. My kids need both a lot of structure and a lot of chances to move! I need to do it more often too.