Favorite College Course(s)?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Math, May 8, 2014.

1. Math

Math Cohort

May 8, 2014

Do you have one or many college course(s) that you really enjoyed? Why did you love the course so much?

I would give my own response but as you all know I am not in college yet. :)

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 8, 2014

I loved all my foreign language classes. I took Spanish, French, Latin (Classical and Ecclesiastical), and Ancient Greek (multiple dialects).

I was also in my university's scholars program. We had a special scholars seminar class every semester, and it was always on some super interesting topic. My favorite one of those was "Problems of World Hunger". It was a sort of random literature/business/philosophy/urban planning hybrid.

4. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 8, 2014

I loved Sociology of Environmental Issues, History of Science, all of my film courses (since that was my major) and in my grad program I've loved my classes on Jane Austen and my Postmodernism course.

5. underthesun

underthesun Rookie

May 8, 2014

I've thoroughly enjoyed all of my language classes, as well. The German ones will always be my favorite of the bunch, but I enjoyed American Sign Language, Spanish, Latin, and Russian as well. ^^

I also absolutely ADORED my Nationalism, Ethnicity, and Conflict course and my Irish Conflict course, both of which I took while abroad. The topics were absolutely fascinating, so it's hard not to love them.

All time favorite, though? That'd have to be one of my Education courses, where we focused on cultural sensitivity and the history of education in the United States and around the world. It was a great group of students, and the professor was a phenomenal instructor. Honestly, if I hadn't wanted to become a teacher before, being in her class would have made me want to become one. The class discussions were always so open and interesting, usually eye opening, and just all together fantastic.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 8, 2014

My Intro to Education class was an outstanding one, taught by a professor who had been in a high school classroom for decades and knew his stuff. My awesome Critical Thinking class was the closest I got to math in college, but it was taught by the head of the Philosophy department. Mostly, I lived for my literature classes, especially the ones taught by the department chair. We had some clashes early on about interpretation of Canterbury Tales, but he came to respect my opinions by the time I graduated.

7. bros

bros Phenom

May 8, 2014

I liked my Intro to Education class, American History Through Film, and Witchcraft in the Western Tradition.

8. physteach

physteach Companion

May 8, 2014

Irish Language
    History of Witchcraft and Magic
    Astrophysics

9. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

May 8, 2014

I was a bio major and I loved many of my major classes (especially ecology, genetics and botany). But perhaps my favorites were the ones that I took outside of my major. I got to meet new people and see a whole different side to life. Plus learn a lot of cool things. I always tell college-goers to try to take at least one class every year outside your major.

So mine would be:

-Jazz history
    -Theater movement
    -Sewing

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

May 8, 2014

I went to college in two stages-once fresh out of high school, and again after I had worked a few years.

I was in the Honors Program, and those were my favorite when I was younger. We had a seminar every semester, and I LOVED my Poli Sci Honors seminar. The instructor was from England, and was nice to look at, but he was so SMART. Loved him, and the camaraderie of the class. I still keep in touch with some in there.

Later, I appreciated classes in a different way. I had worked in education for a time, so I looked at teachers differently. I took 2 semesters of Modern Elementary School Math, and the instructor was SO HARD. She was a tough ol' bird. But, she liked me. She liked me because I sat in the front, took good notes, asked and answered questions, and participated-unlike the kids in the back (which had been me a few years earlier).

You do things differently when you are paying for classes yourself. I appreciated learning opportunities a lot more after writing a check every semester.

11. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

May 8, 2014

Educational Activities (I forgot the exact name but we made subject related games at different grade levels).

Witch craft and magic? Now, that sounds interesting! I would've taken that class!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

May 8, 2014

I took a lot at our community college Loved most of those except the math one (sorry just not my strong point). Some I enjoyed the teacher more than the course. I took a Poli Sci class...interesting, but prof was awesome. We'd have study group at local place & he came to everyone one of them for about an hour to see if we had any questions! I mean out of his own time to come meet with us!

I had a few profs & classes a university I liked as well... can't remember them right of hand!

13. Rox

Rox Cohort

May 8, 2014

My favorite class was basically an introduction to teaching art at the elementary level. The teacher was a very warm and compassionate person, and he had a way of making you feel like you were a child in an elementary art classroom. I also liked that he always asked for feedback on test questions. If a question was ambiguous, he removed it or rewrote it for the next year's class.

14. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 8, 2014

My early childhood classes were the best. We had treat sign-ups (they were all 3-hour night classes), and the content was really fun. I loved learning about teaching early childhood. I didn't love teaching that age group, but the classes were a blast!

15. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

May 8, 2014

Post apocalyptic literature
    American short fiction
    Multicultural education

16. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 8, 2014

Standouts include a History course on the Antebellum South and one on the French Revolution.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

May 8, 2014

My favorite classes were my Sociology courses. My minor/concentration was in Sociology.

18. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

May 8, 2014

I loved my Geology Class. It was the National Parks of Utah. I grew up within 2 hours of all five of Utah's National Parks, one of which I can see from my parent's front porch. Learning how all of those came to be was one of the most enjoyable things ever.

I also really liked any class taught by one of the professors in the Education Department. He was really chill about his classes, but he kept them so interesting, you always walked away thirsting for more.

My church offers courses for college students to take near most colleges and universities in North America. I took an Old Testament course through this program and it was one of the most fascinating, unbelievably informing class of my life.

19. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

May 8, 2014

I loved my archaeology, geology, biology, and ecology classes. I have to say I enjoyed archaeology the most, and if I retire I'll be an archaeologist in my old age.

Classes I did NOT enjoy included: art history and organic chemistry.

20. a2z

a2z Maven

May 8, 2014

I have 2 favorites, Linear Algebra and World Religions. Both had more to do with the professors than the subject matter. My Linear Algebra teacher had a knack for being able to make the connection from the math to the concept. It was always intriguing. The professor was quirky and funny. He was also kind and a gentle soul. The World Religion professor was so animated and so into his subject matter, but you couldn't understand a word he said. He also was a great guy. It was interesting to learn about the formation of the World Religions, the similarities and differences between them and the role each played in the world at the time.

21. Myrisophilist

Myrisophilist Habitué

May 8, 2014

Microbiology lab. Oh, how I love bacteria! I wore my micro stains on my fingers like a badge of honor.

22. bora

bora Rookie

May 8, 2014

Mostly psychologies. Psychology of gender, psychology of play, etc.

23. bros

bros Phenom

May 9, 2014

The course I took on witchcraft is pretty interesting.

If you're interested in a good book on witchcraft trials, try The Trial of Tempel Anneke - ISBN #1-55111-706-1 - It details one of the last witch trials in modern day Germany.

There's also Strange Revelations: Magic, Poison, and Sacrilege in Louis XIV’s France by Lynn Wood Mollenauer, a book on how an attempted poisoning on the Sun King was thought to be witchcraft, and the investigations of a Parisian constable which led to the discovery of the criminal underworld of Paris.

There's also Leonarde's Ghost: Popular Piety and the Appearance of a Spirit in 1628, ISBN # 978-1931112796

It was also pretty good.

The French Revolution course sounds fun. I love that period of history - I took a course Early Modern European History: 1650-1815

That was fun, especially when we spent 2 weeks on the French Revolution.

I also liked Child Psychology - when we learned about early child psychology (like ages 3-5), we went to the day care on my CC's campus to observe the kids & do some small tests (like Piaget's Conservation of Liquid test)

24. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

May 9, 2014

Number Theory

25. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

May 9, 2014

My favorites were Organic Chemistry, microbiology, and genetics. I also took several soils classes that I really enjoyed.

26. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 9, 2014

Young Adult Literature (ed class)
    American Noir Literature
    Course where we paired up with a high school class and taught three units (forget the name). It truly shaped my teaching.
    Argumentation
    Newspaper editing
    Newspaper writing
    Oceanography
    Intro to Logic

Truly I enjoyed the vast majority of classes. There are only a handful I dreaded going to.

27. i8myhomework

i8myhomework Comrade

May 9, 2014

My Astronomy class was FUN. My professor was in his eighties and was the sweetest man alive. Every class was some fun, new activity.

I had some sort of government class (specifics I have forgotten) where the professor was LOONEY. He just ranted on and on about government conspiracies and aliens. There was no reading material for the class. He was a huge fan of Jimmy Carter and one day he was going on about how much he admired him and just randomly started chanting "JIMMY. JIMMY". It was hilarious.

College was amazing. Some classes and professors will definitely surprise you. It's not as rigid as high school. Most profs do what they want.

28. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2014

That's going to come in handy:rolleyes:

My faves were child development, classroom mgt, constructivist math practices and early childhood lit.

29. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 9, 2014

I think college is the perfect time to take classes that may not come in handy but sure are fun. I took a few classes that weren't at all practical but I definitely loved them and learned some fun information.

30. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

May 9, 2014

So what? College should be a chance to explore your interests and passions if nothing else. I guess future teachers should only take certain college courses.:rolleyes:

Some people take themselves so seriously, they just sound silly.

31. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

May 9, 2014

Obviously I loved most of my theatre classes. I didn't like all of them, and I hated a few (specifically Intro to Movement, and pretty much all the "academic" theatre classes like Theatre History).

My top favorites:
    Musical Theatre Workshop I & II
    Fieldwork in Music Directing
    Tap Dance
    Voice for the Theatre I - IV

As for math, I loved loved loved Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, and Advanced Probability & Statistics

32. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 9, 2014

Silly? Really? By taking our profession seriously one sounds silly? Wow...

I took many courses outside my major asBAn undergrad (business major) but not as as a grad student...good to keep in mind all of that is reflected on ones resume...just sayin...

33. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 9, 2014

My favorite college courses were dependent on the instructor. A great instructor made any subject to be my fave class, and it didn't matter if it was a high interest subject, if the professor was no likeable, I didn't like it.
    My major was Linguistics and that is of high interest to me, I had 2 instructors who stood out and made me love the specific topic even more, but I had one that made me hate it (just his style, and that class, not the content overall). I'm not into biology so much but I had a great professor. I would just sit there and listen, hardly even take notes and aced the whole thing. I remembered every single word he said, some of it even now (8 years later).

34. comaba

comaba Cohort

May 9, 2014

My favorite was Sociology. That course changed me and the way I view the world.

I also took a few fun courses that didn't apply to my major, but sure broadened my knowledge of other things.

35. bros

bros Phenom

May 10, 2014

I needed two European History courses for my Content Area (History) and it fit into my schedule, so I took it the same semester I took Early Modern European History 1650-1800. They were a good combination.

36. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

May 10, 2014

I went to a liberal arts school. We were required to take classes outside of our major. I had plenty of open slots of courses to take even after factoring in my major and minor. Those classes improved my writing skills and my communication skills. Even if the topic wasn't completely relevant to math, there's nothing wrong with taking a fun class and enjoying it. One of my favorite classes was Women and Buddhism. I also took a class on Sherlock Holmes. They weren't relevant to my career but I definitely enjoyed them. Before my students go off to college, I always tell them to explore many interests.

I took all of the required math and ed classes. Most schools that hired me/that I interviewed with right out of college were impressed with how many courses I took outside my major and minor.

37. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

May 11, 2014

The best course I ever took was my very first education course, "Introduction to Education." The professor was very down-to-earth and often lectured about the real trappings of the profession. (Like, "Don't live in the community you teach" and "Don't cross a picket line - either in your own district or another (as a sub) - if you ever plan to have a lengthy career." Things like that.)

I've found that course far more applicable to my career than ones that focused on the theoretical or ideal aspects of the field.

:)

38. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

My favorite course was an elective I took, cartography. It satisfied my need to be artistic and my slight OCD to be a perfectionist.

39. AdamnJakesMommy

AdamnJakesMommy Habitué

May 11, 2014

Diddo. Gotta love my German classes the best.

I majored in History, so I loved most of those too.

Didn't like math... :) And so, I teach it :) :)

40. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

May 11, 2014

My favorite class was "The Major Works of Shakespeare". I was lucky enough to have an English/Drama professor who believed Shakespeare was meant to be performed not read aloud in our seats. He not only helped me to understand the Bard in ways I never had before, but he profoundly shaped the way I teach Shakespeare in my own classes.

41. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 11, 2014

What a difference a good professor can make!