favorite classrom IKEA products

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sevenplus, Jul 27, 2009.

1. sevenplus

sevenplus Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I'm taking a trip to IKEA next week. What are your favorite items from IKEA for classroom use?

I know I need to get some magazine files for book boxes...

3. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I love my magazine files in funky colors! I also use my $1 timer a lot and have a stool up front where I never sit but it serves as a jacket holder mostly.

4. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

They have great scissors sets....you get three (a small pair, a large pair and a medium pair) for under $2.

I just bought two pelican shaped wall bins (hard to describe) for $5 each to hold stuffed animals.

I have the leaf canopies over my reading corner, and a mini-picnic table (that I got on clearance for $10!) in the reading corner.

They had great floor mats (the kind that go under office chairs) covered in bright designs. I bought those a couple of years ago for our basement to put under the kids' easel.

Kim

5. tiki7719

tiki7719 Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Do you think Ikea ridiculously expensive?

I do not have one by me, so I have not been to the store. It just sounds kinda pricey (a really bad way to judge a place lol).

6. JerseyEnglish

JerseyEnglish Rookie

Jul 27, 2009

You can find good bargains

I have a secret confession.....I LOVE IKEA. My husband and I furnished our first apartment with cabinets, tables, and closets from there for about $400. If you look you can find good stuff. I will admit that some of their merchandise doesn't always hold up. It does have some things that my husband as converted into classroom furniture for me and it has lasted :)

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I love IKEA, too, and I find it very, very cheap. We re-did our basement using only IKEA stuff, and I love the way it looks....but we're not talking furniture for school, just "stuff." If you go through their "marketplace," you'll find amazing deals. Where else can you find 3 pairs of adult scissors for under $2? Or a solid wood, child-sized picnic table for $10?

They have a lot of options for storage and organization that I love for kids' toys (hence, the basement!) but they also have stylish, colorful decor.
    Kim

8. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

Not at all expensive.

There is one a few miles away from me, and that is where I go when I need something unique and inexpensive (and I am one of those folks who also shops a lot at resale stores as well as regular stores, so I do know the difference between pricey and not :)).

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2009

I have an easel of theirs in my room and love it. It's amazing. I also like their 4 packs of white board markers. They're about $1.00 and they last a long time.

10. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

kimrandy1 - I just installed that leaf canopy in my reading area on Friday! I also bought some circular foam seat cushions for "sit upons" (as in sit your butt upon it). They have really cheap blue plastic bins I use for everything, and I bought their kids plates, cups, etc. for my kitchen area, as well as a little table.

11. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I also have the situpons!!!!! I want a class set of 20, but I've been buying them in smaller quantities ('cause aren't they like 43 each?). I think I'm up to 15. I should be able to finish my set the next time I'm there.

12. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I just saw those pelican wall bins, I think! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60107828 Very cute!

I miss IKEA. When I lived in Pittsburgh, my mom would go. My sister had a bedroom set from there (a very cool loft bed). You all make me jealous because the stuff I find online that I'd like, they don't ship. :( They need to work on that!! - Or, better yet, put one in my area! :haha:

13. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I use the magazine holders (the cardboard white ones) as they are like 5 for $3? It's been a while since I bought them.

14. TeacherMJ

TeacherMJ Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

I love Ikea!! I'll be going today for my new classroom...can't wait to see what fun items I'll find...

15. punchinello

punchinello Comrade

Jul 27, 2009

Where is the leaf canopy on the Ikea website? It sounds adorable. I can't find the picnic table, either. Help. :)

16. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I don't know if the leaves are on the site, I'll look. I got the picnic table last August on clearance, so I don't think you'll find it at all now.
    Kim

17. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

18. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2009

I was there yesterday and saw a storage crate on wheels that I liked. I also saw a storage unit with plastic drawers in different sizes and colors.

19. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Jul 27, 2009

Their shipping is outrageously expensive just an FYI. I went to ship a gift card to a friend and they were going to charge me $7 to ship the gift card.

I love them terrible and miss being near one but I now I can make a weekend out of going to one.

20. ArizonaTchr72

ArizonaTchr72 Companion

Jul 27, 2009