Favorite Circle time activities/games?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by akavonlady, Mar 26, 2006.

1. akavonlady

akavonlady New Member

Mar 26, 2006

List your favorite game or activity you play during circle time.

3. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Mar 26, 2006

It changes every year. This year the children really love "Going on a bear hunt" My favorites are what they like, I love to see their excitement. Last year it was the "freeze dance". We do movements with both of these.

4. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Mar 26, 2006

A good one is to read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Students have letters and put them on the tree. They ask to do this thru out the year...

The wheels on the bus go around and around. That CD is special...

5. tina007

tina007 Rookie

Mar 27, 2006

Mine have liked the Donald Duck song the most this year. In the past it's been the Tooty Ta and Wheels on the Bus. One group like the Farmer in the Dell. I repeat and repeat the ones they ask for the most. I also keep a "song" book they can look through to choose a song if they don't have one for the day.

6. studentteacher7

studentteacher7 Rookie

Mar 30, 2006

ideas for 3-yr olds

Hi i work with 3-year olds. My kids love singing the name song "her name is sarah, sarah, sarah, her name is sarah, who are you?" They also love any kind of flannel board story. They also like where we have each child's name written on a slip of paper and they have to find their name.

7. holt

holt Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

my class loves the Laurie Berkner bumble bee song. I sing it and they listen to hear their names in the song. When I call their names they buzz around the room and land back in their spot by the end of the verse. They also love "who stole the cookie from the cookie jar".

8. Suzvarnes

Suzvarnes Rookie

Apr 3, 2006

One of our favorites is the Bubble Gum Game...

Choose a child to be "it" (or you can take that part until they get the hang of it). Chant with the class:

Bubble gum, bubble gum in a dish
    How many pieces do you wish?

"It" chooses a number from 1-10 and an activity to do (**example "3 eye blinks") and leads everyone in doing the activity. After the activity is over, we always clap our hands once and say "pop!" to pop our bubble gum. Choose another person to be "it" to continue the game.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My class also likes "Doggie Doggie Where's your Bone?" and we even changed the words for our dinosaur unit this January ("Dinosaur Dinosaur where's your egg? Somebody took it from your nest")

9. MorahMe

MorahMe Habitué

Apr 3, 2006

Simple simon says
    Making up motions for nursery rhymes

10. worried

worried New Member

Apr 4, 2006

My kids LOVE to sing songs. My program has become basically singing, singing, and more singing! :) When I do a special unit I always end up making a song about it because they learn so easily that way.

We also play the game where the children wearing (insert color) get a special time to come up and entertain the class for a minute. My kids love that.

11. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 5, 2006

I have a large hat box, (any large box with a lid would work) that I place props in. The props are related to a finger play or song. For instance, there are finger puppet frogs to go along with the 5 Little Frogs. I place the props for the finger plays and songs I plan for the week in the box. Each day the song helper helps me choose items from the box. We first go, "Knock, Knock on my box." This develops a routine and defines the beginning of circle time. It also gives a child the responsibility of choosing. I have enough props for each child to hold one. Toddlers focus better if they have something to hang onto.

One of the favorite songs is Row, Row Your Boat. For a prop, we use a Chinese Jumprope. It is stretchy and tired into a circle. As we sing, we pull on the robe as if we are rowing a boat.

12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 6, 2006

I recently bought a ball that has questions all over it (for example: what is your favorite color). We take turns throwing it to each other, I read the question for them, and they answer it.

13. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 6, 2006

I like that JenPooh, where did you pick that up?

14. Play to Learn

Play to Learn Comrade

Apr 6, 2006

Jen and Gigi I took a class and they made a box the children can roll. They made it so you can slip in new questions each day and change out the old ones. The also did this as a way to pick a song to sing they would roll the box like dice. Easy free and cheap. Jen I know how you like to Bargain shop.:) Also a neat idea for the alphabet is to get a cheap plastic table cloth from the dollar tree write the abc's on it. Make a bean bag and let the kids throw it onto the abc table cloth and tell you the letter. You can also do this with a ball write the abc's on it and have the child find the first letter of their name.

15. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 7, 2006

Thanks JenPooh!!

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Apr 7, 2006

I got it at a local teacher resource store. www.learningshop.com Only $5!

17. gigi

gigi Groupie

Apr 7, 2006

Thanks Jen, am going on site now.

18. sjohnsmor

sjohnsmor Rookie

Apr 7, 2006

My kids really love "Hello how are you..." song. It includes all of their names, and I ask them EACH at the end of the song, "how are you doing ______ today?" Of course everyone ALWAYS says good, but it's still fun, and has a catchy toon.

My kids really love flannel board stories, not really any one in particular, but they are very in tune to them.