Favorite Childhood TV Shows

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by leighbball, Jul 24, 2005.

1. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Anyone watch...

Bosom Buddies
    Dear John
    Doogie Howser
    Full House
    Head Of The Class
    Mr. Belvedere
    My Two Dads
    Perfect Strangers
    Silver Spoons
    Webster?

I LOVED Doogie Howser for some reason.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
  2. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 29, 2005

I also loved Doogie Howser! I think it is out on DVD now.

becky, I agree with you the shows out now are no where near as "clean" as they use to be. Even the cartoons now are much more violent. Thank goodness for reruns and Nick at Night.

3. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

The early 90s seems like the last time there was a run of clean family shows. (Full House, etc... corny, but clean.)
    I also miss decent educational shows like the ones we've mentioned: 321 Contact, Square One, Reading Rainbow. I can't even think of any current equivalents, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

4. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

mrs g 79, I agree, corny, but at least they were clean. I also agree with you about the educational type shows. Thank goodness for reruns. Sesame Steet is still on and is good and there are a couple of others. I think the one is called 64 Zoo Lane and it is very well done. My little grandson is 1 year old and he recognizes all the little characters on it. He sits and smiles and laughs and claps his hands with them. The music is very good on that show, too.

5. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 29, 2005

GrammyTeacher- Do you know of any good ones for older kids? I'd like to have some to record & show in class occasionally.

6. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 29, 2005

mrs g 79, I'm think this show is too young for 5th grade but it is an educational show about reading: "Between the Lions". You can check it out at pbs.

7. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Not offhand. The channel I found these on is called NOG/IN. I don't watch it unless we have our little guy here on the weekend and then it seems to only be on in the mornings. I just checked to see what was on and it was the old sitcom Fresh Prince or Bel-Air!

8. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

I like Nick at Nite and TV land a lot of the time, but not always. I wish there was a channel dedicated to only those shows 80's and earlier. Nick at NIte has some crummy stuff on it, as far as I'm concerned (after all, their parent company is MTV....need I say more?) I would like to see all of these clean old shows brought back ........especially some of those we havent seen since they were broadcast way back when. I feel sorry for those of you who have younger kids......tv seems to keep getting crummier....even the commercials need to be screened! I guess I am old fashioned, but I can still laugh at shows that don't have any sexual overtones to it.......Lucy still cracks me up!

9. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Kinderkids, We get the Classic Movie channel and they also have all the "old, old" shows on. We watch Leave It to Beaver, Andy Griffith Show, Gunsmoke, even the old Twilight Zone. They have marathons and will feature one show all week. Same with the movies...one week of JOhn Wayne or whoever. The real old movies are awesome...black and whites...Turner Classic Movies with Spencer Tracey, Humphry Bogart, Jimmy Stewart(Rear Window)...etc...Gone With the Wind, great movies and no worry about language or nudity. The only trouble is, they are black and white and some people don't like that.

10. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Oh, I love all those old movies...........I can find those real late at night sometimes........Bette Davis, Love Jimmy Stewart, etc. We don't have that channel on my cable, wish it did. The ones you mentioned are always the first ones I'd turn on. I like the b & W movies.......classics! I like the clothing and proper language, it always fascinates me. I am a dork~! i sometimes think I am living in the wrong era! lol

11. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

kinderkids, I am a dork. I love proper manners and even have a book of manners! I love the old hairstyles and the ladies dressed as "ladies." I think I got this way from my grama. We spent very little time together because she lived in N.D., but we corresponded weekly for her entire life. She would write the most perfect letters. When she came to visit, she would correct my grammer, etc and I just loved that. Isn't it terrible how sloppy speech has become? I am guilty of it, too. I think that is one reason many children have speech problems. When you meet the parents you know why as they slur their words together and mumble .Man am I on a rampage or what!

12. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

I agree with you! I think I got that from my dad.......he was a big one on manners, proper language, etc. We couldn't say shut up, pee, or (sorry......poop) in my house growing up! It just wasn't happening....I know those are harmless, but to this day, I cringe when I hear it. Boy, have times changed! Kids say things in my class that they find out just don't fly with me.....and then I hear the parents......lol! I love the haristyles, too. I have a second minor in history, I think just so I could fill my passion for the "olden days"! Glad to hear I'm not the only dork out there! :)

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

My dad would NEVER EVER have dreamed of burping or farting in front of anyone...and especially at the table...god we had to be quiet and EAT and use proper manners, passing food and eating it. I can honestly say I don't recall ever saying "I don't like that." We ate everything and every supper was a full course of meat , potoato and vegetable and of course home baked desserts. When my Preschoolers eat I hear so much complaining and bad manners that I almost go crazy. What really IRKS me is when they say, "I have to go PEE!" I don't allow them to get away with that. They have to say I have to go to the bathroom...god kids are so gross anymore, thanks to their poor mannered parents...yuck.

14. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Oh and about you not allowed to say "shut up"...when our kids were little we bever told them to shut up...and none of us hollered shut up to the dog either. When one of our boys was in school, he loved to talk(too much) and one of the teachers told him to shut up...and he in turn told him even his parents didn't tell him to shut up and that it was wrong...of course he got in a little trouble for that!

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Grammy Teacher...........are you my sister?? LOL! What you just described sounds IDENTICAL to my home when I grew up! I am grateful to have had parents like that.........back then, no, but now I can really appreciate what they did for us. My mom always had huge meals for us, and her desserts, WOW, the best! She is German, and oh boy can cook! I do the same thing with the kids in my class.....they need to say it properly. Too funny. I'm a big one for teaching manners.......yes please and no thank you is a must! Boy, I'm mean! lol

16. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Ha! Yes, we are sisters. My mom is German, too. She could (and still can) whip up the most fabulous pie, from scratch in no time. She baked bread(from scratch) and everything else you can imagine. No one ate until my dad was seated. She would call to him a few minutes before she put food on the table, giving him time to do his little "washing up" routine and freshening up. We always said the prayer, "Bless us O'Lord" and then we would eat, always my dad first served. When I got married and we had kids, we always had the formal meal at night...until the boys turned into teenagers and started flicking beans across the table at one another. My husband wanted to watch tv while he ate, so of course off to the living room they went. How I hated that!

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

Oh my goodness........this is scary, but my dad did the exact same thing! And the smells when I came home from school........mom always had a pie baking or bread in the oven, yum! I can still smell it to this day.....what a great memory! We wouldn't dare eat until my dad washed and was seated and we prayed "Come Lord Jesus".....my family still says that one before all of our meals! We still eat all of our suppers together.........and oh, the tv is a big no no at our house during meals! I am a lot like my dad! My husband and kids would have tv on if I let them.......but I put my foot down on that one! My daughter always tells me how her friends can't believe how we always have a big dinner together every night...it's a rarity today, but some traditions are worth keeping if you ask me. One of her teachers even made a comment to her how they can tell she comes from a home that eats dinner together..lol.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

you just stick to it as long as you possibly can(eating meals at the table together) When I was a kid, my dad always had the tv on in the living room, turned up just loud enough so he could hear the weather! We ate sharply at 6:00 and he just HAD to hear the weather. We had to be very quiet so he could hear it.Funny now that I think about it! Would have made more sense to eat 15 minutes earlier or later, but oh no...we HAD to eat at 6:00 or the sky would fall!

Did your mom sugar/cinnamon the cut off pie crust pieces and bake them for you? I did that for my kids, too.

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

We always ate at 5:30 SHARP! or else the sky would fall at our house too! My mom didn't do that with the pie crust, but it sounds yummy! she did make the best "butterscotch rolls"...they were like a sticky bun,only better ! Yum...I haven't had one of those for years.....oh the memories~!:)

20. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 30, 2005

We don't say "shut up" in my house either. And, another one I hate to hear kids say is "butt". Not allowed in my house no matter how many cartoons and movies they hear it on. We never had the t.v. on at dinner time when I was growing up until I became a teen and the t.v. was on a cart with wheels! Of course, I married a t.v.-fanatic and we can see it from the kitchen table, so most of the time it's on when we eat. Hate it! But, we still eat as a family for the most part and I'm thankful for that.

On old movies.....love 'em! I'm a huge Doris Day, Cary Grant, and Audrey Hepburn fan, not to mention John Wayne. We have a framed picture of him my mom bought my husband from the Cowboy Hall of Fame in OKC hanging in our hallway! 'Course my parents were young adults during WWII and my dad was in the navy at that time. Kinda rubbed off on me, I guess!

21. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

kinderkids, my husbands family always says the "Come Lord Jesus..." prayer and now we use that one in our house before meals. This is how my son says it..."Come Nord Jesus be our nest, let these gipts to us de best". It's kind of cute coming from a 3 year olds mouth:).

We don't say "shut up" in our house either. It's totally not allowed. There is something about the vulgarity in the phrase that erks me especially when I hear kids use it. It's just such a disrespectful phrase.

22. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

I have to admit that there have been many times when I want to holler it at the top of my lungs in the classroom!

23. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't run past my mind :D Especially when all 3 of my boys are ignoring me and I feel like I'm talking to 3 brick walls :eek: I think many things in my head that never make it out of my mouth, which is really scary because I usually don't have a problem speaking my mind ;) .

24. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2005

Well some of my grandparents rubbed off on me. We are so busy around my house that we only get to eat together once or twice a week. On Sunday though we have a huge sit down meat and potatoes meal. I can't stand the word shut up either. My kids at home don't say it and since I haven't had my first class yet but I have been subbing for 5 it has been my policy not to let the kids use that word either. The other thing I can't stand is the constant tattling on each other. My kids at home get in trouble for tattling so my kids at school will too.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Thats funny about the "butt" ! I don't like that word either. At school I refer to it as their "porkchop" Silly I know........but I love when I hear the kids refering to it in a conversation with parents, or classmates. Cracks me up..and I've even heard the parents use the term. A better alternative :D
    Oh, and Jen.......that is too funny how your 3 year old says that prayer! How adorable is that?

26. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Oh...........what was this thread supposed to be about? :D As you can tell, I always tend to digress............. :p

27. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

I have no idea...really!

28. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

too funny!

29. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

should be in bed...I actually fell asleep in the back yard late this afternoon, laid down on a blanket that I had on the clothesline and fell asleep, with the cats all around me. They were looking at squirrels! It was incredibly nice out. I saw on the weather channel that the Oshkosh area hit 90 degrees. It wasn't that hot here and it was so breezy. I bet I was a sight laying there! OH well...

30. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Oh, it was still a beautiful day in my opinion. I'd take this over those - too cold to even measure temps we get in Jan, Feb., March, ................and so on! I shoud go to bed too. I have my brother and his family visiting from VA. and I know his little boys will be up BRIGHT AND EARLY! , but thats ok............only get to see them once a year. Don't you like how I still find time to be on this site......even with out of town guests? Sheesh, I think I need help!

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2005

Yea, we have friends coming over for supper today and I have a million things to do...yet I find time to sit on this thing and chat! Better get going now...enjoy your Sunday everyone.