Favorite Childhood TV Shows

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by leighbball, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

I have that book that Fred Gwynne wrote: A Chocolate Moose For Dinner- cute! I loved the old SNL with Roseann rosanna Danna. I was madly in love with Rick Springfield when he was on General Hospital.

2. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 27, 2005

How about all of the old game shows? I remember Match Game with Gene Rayburn. What was the game show with Betty White's husband? Password?
    Bob Barker used to host Truth or Consequences. I always liked it when he would reunite a husband in the military with his wife.

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

kinderkids, I never ran into him on LI (his house was set waaayy back behind lots of shrubbery and trees) but later on I went to a luncheon with about 20 people and he was the guest of honor. We all got to talk with him personally. He was on the board of the company that opened a child care center at a local hospital.

4. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Kinderkids,

Wasn't that "Sigmund the Sea Monster" or something like that? I watched that, too. Oh, and "The Partridge Family" and "Family Affair". I still have a box of Buffy and Jody paperdolls!!!!!

Sounds like we're close to the same age, huh? Let's not talk about turning the big "4-0" too much!!!Ha!

5. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Oh, and don't forget "Land of the Lost" Classic!!!

6. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

I loved Reading Rainbow! To this day, I can't help but take a moment to read when I see that logo on a picture book! :D

Square One was great, too! I remember knowing what a negative number was in third grade b/c of that one! When I was teaching mid-school math, I tried to order MathNet videos, but you wouldn't believe what they're charging! Remember "Oops!...brought to you by erasers" ? :)

I'm still stunned that stuff like CareBears, Strawberry Shortcake, Rainbow Brite, and Cabbage Patch Kids are on the shelves again. I think I'm too young for my childhood stuff to be making a nostalgic comeback already! :eek:

7. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Does anyone remember The Polka Dot Door or Zoobilizoo? Also, Saved By The Bell was a fav. in our house. Looking back on it now I can't believe I watched it!

8. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 27, 2005

I love Strawberry Shortcake. I bought a huge SS doll at a yard sale last year with plans to give it to my cousin but I couldn't part with it.

9. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Zoobilizoo! Isn't that the one where they used the word "indubitably" all the time?

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Zoobilizoo was a bunch a people in animal costumes. The lion's name was VanGogh Lion (he was a painter). I forgot what the others were, but my brother watched it all the time (he's 7 years younger).

Anyone remember Holly Hobbie? I had her wallpaper in my room when I was little.

11. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

JenPooh- yep, that's the one. My mom used to buy the cereal with the animal shapes for me. There was a girl zebra, too. Don't remember much else.
    My whole room used to be done in Holly Hobbie. I don't have any of that stuff anymore, but in the past few years I've come across the talking dall, a book, and greeting cards that I matted and framed.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  12. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

I'm so embarrassed I am even asking this, but did anyone ever watch the New Kids on the Block cartoon when it came out, or am I the only wierdo who did?

13. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

I also remember: Kissyfur, The Jetsons, Thundercats, Voltron, The Ghostbusters Cartoon...let me think...

14. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 27, 2005

mrs g 79-

My room was also done in a Holly Hobby. My mom made my curtains and my room was yellow and green.

15. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

I know.......September is fast approaching......... :eek:
    I loved paper dolls......I use to have a bunch of them. I bet your Buffy and Jody ones are worth some $

16. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2005

I loved Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley.

17. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2005

kinderkids, leslye.... talk about TURNING 40? I did that in April and I can't get over some of the changes already.

Didn't Kate Jackson play a nurse in The Rookies? I also liked Dixie on Emergency. Did anyone else watch The wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights?

18. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2005

I loved Nickelodeon(sp) but when I was a kid it just came out and thier was shows like Are you afraid of the dark, and Clarrissa Explains it all, hey dude, haha yea we didnt have very moving television in late 80's and 90's
    also strawberry shortcake, carebares, smurffs,alvin and the chipmunks, Pee Wees Playhouse, Muppet Babies, my little brothers loved Power Rangers(the originals)

(I'll still watch these movies/shows when they occassionally come on)

19. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Yes, that was Kate Jackson. I always watched the wonderful world of d, it always came on after that show Mutual of Omahas Wild Kingdom, or some such title with that old guy Mel Perkins or something......he always had the younger guy do all the "scary" work for him.......do you remember that show? I also remember Medical Center with Chad Everett.......it's sad, I remember all of these........I must have watched way to much tv! :eek:

PS......what changes do I need to be aware of, becky? :eek:

20. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 27, 2005

I remember Medical center, Wonderful World of Disney, the Rookies. We only got three channels-ABC, CBS, and NBC. And when the president was on, that was the only thing on TV. Does anyone remeber the Watergate Hearings in the summer. I am dating myself-42- :rolleyes:

21. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Zoobilizoo, Zoobilizoo, magic and wonder are waiting for you! I forget the rest of the words...I loved it!! And I think Ben Vereen was on there.

22. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 27, 2005

Zoobilizoo - I used to love that show
    I also watched Clarissa Explains It All, Ducktails, Kids Inc, those were some great shows!
    Does anyone else remember Under The Umbrella Tree? I think it was on Disney, it was great.

23. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Ducktails, wee-oooh! lol...every time someone mentions a show I used to watch, the theme song (or part of it) pops into my head!!

24. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

I use to watch the Wonderful World of Disney too! We usually did as a family. Does anyone remember a family tv movie called "Fuzz Bucket"? It was about a fuzzy creature that looked like an overgrown rabbit/big foot.

25. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 27, 2005

Steph-ernie--those were all favorites of mine too! I used to watch Under the Umbrella Tree all the time.

26. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2005

Steph-ernie Oh my god -Under the unbrella tree, I used to love that show. I didn't think anyone else watched it! Ha

27. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 27, 2005

Kinderkids, becky,

Looks like I'm the baby here since I don't hit the big one 'til November! Ha! Thirty was much easier to deal with!

Dee,

I remember being at my grandmother's house while my mom ran errands and Watergate was on.....all day!! (Yawn!)

28. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 27, 2005

Enjoy entering your menopausal years.

29. Lovelabs

Lovelabs Comrade

Jul 28, 2005

And on that happy note.....Ha! Wasn't there some Scarecrow show after or part of The Wonderful World of Disney? Or was there some show about a soldier that was stripped of his medals...am I dreaming? Anybody remember Chiller Theater?

30. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2005

I always looked forward to watching the Wonderful World of Disney! Almost forgot about it. Can't recall many episodes though..Apple Dumpling Gang....

31. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

They had a car show around here when we were younger and we had our picture taken in KIT!!!!!

32. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

:confused:

Wow- used to watch that every day! There was Talespin, too. What was the one where the Disney chipmunks (Dale & :confused: ) solved mysteries?

33. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

Chip and Dale, Rescue Rangers!!! My brother reallyl iked it, but it wasn't one I was in to often...

34. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

Talespin...I forgot about that one! :)

35. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jul 28, 2005

oooooh, I used to love Talespin!

36. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

My other favorite... Today's Special... about a department store, where one of the characters was a mannequin, and came alive after the store closed, but he was always wanting to leave the store but was never allowed to... I loved that show!!! :)

37. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 28, 2005

I had totally forgotten about Today's Special! It was on Nickolodian right? I also use to watch the Hogan Family with Jason Bateman. I had the biggest crush on him!

38. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 28, 2005

teacherbell, I can't remember if it was PBS or Nickelodeon. ;)

39. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2005

Does anyone miss how innocent and clean t.v. was then, even the cop shows? I know I do.

40. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 29, 2005

It was definitely PBS. I loved that show!!! The Hogan Family was also very cool:)