Favorite Childhood TV Shows

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by leighbball, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

Wasn't Hullabaloo kind of folk stuff? Around the time folk festivals were popular. There was also Hootenanny. I didn't like Laugh In or Carol Burnett, I guess cause I didn't like slapstick and my parents didn't either. Remember when the two brothers had that show where the one always said, "Mom always liked you best"? The Smothers Brothers. I remember Topo Gigio, he was so cute. I loved the Honeymooners and the Jackie Gleason show. Anyone remember the Andy Williams show? They looked like the perfect family when his beautiful wife was on. Then she left him and went with a ski champion and was implicated in his death.

2. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

Yes, i think you are right about Hullabaloo. I don't remember Hootenanny. I remember the Smothers Brothers (and the big bass), I love Andy Williams, in fact i have The Best Of Andy Williams on DVD....and his former wife is on it......I knew they weren't together, but I had know idea about the ski champion and the implication of his death :eek: I love his song "Moon River" and the old clips from his Christmas special bring back warm fuzzy memories of when I was a little girl........I know, I'm weird :p

3. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

hahaha...Andy Williams...yuck , could never stand him...but Jackie Gleason! That was hilarious! The Smother's Brothers were good...how about Sonny and Cher?! Remember their bell bottoms?

4. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

Too funny about Andy Williams........my mom hates him too! I told you I'm weird! I think I just like him because I remember watching all of his Christmas specials when I was little..my favorite time of year! .....loved Sonny and Cher.......her outfits were made by Bob Mackie, the same guy that designed Carol Burnetts....that always made me laugh! Do you remember when Glen Campbell had a special on tv? We had a babysitter that was in love with him......and she always made us watch him! :p

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

I loved him and his sweaters, absolutely loved the Christmas specials. My mother and I loved the Glen Campbell show and he really was cute when he was young. I watched Sonny & Cher, too. I think I was wrong about Hullaballoo - it was dancing, wasn't it?

I thought of a few more faves - The Courtship of Eddie's Father, James at 16, Room 221, The Avengers.

Gotta go - my cat is pushing his dish around the tile floor with his tongue!

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

I loved
    Pink Panther
    Woody Woodpecker
    Popeye

Used to eat grilled cheese sandwiches and hot Coke at my grandparents' house and watch the above shows. Brings back good memories.

All time favorite is Wonder Years. Did you know that Fred Savage (main character from Wonder Years) is the voice of Oswald? For those of you that watch Noggin' with your little ones.

Loved Electric Company. I asked my mom once how I could get words to come out of my mouth like them- there was a pair of people that would say word parts and the parts would float out of their mouths and attach to make a full word.

Muppet Show!

7. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 26, 2005

I also loved the Wonder Years. Is it out on DVD now?

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

GlendaL...sheriff coffee was a relative of mine!!!!

Leighball...LOVED Kids Inc. (the original) w/Martika & now Fergie from the Black Eyed Peas!!!

Silver Spoons anyone w/Ricky Schroder!?!

9. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

aww wonder years...i remeber having to take an early shower or bath on wed nights so that I could watch it!!! bed time was right after it was over!! hehe, funny the things you remember!
    What abt the show where the girl was a robot? Small Wonder, I think?!
    I also love , love (and still love) cosby! that s how makes me crack up everytime!!!

10. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Voltron! :D :D :D I think the blue lion was the one that the princess in the white & pink jumpsuit sometimes drove, even though it was supposed to belong to the blue guy. The fat guy was yellow, the nerdy kid was green. I remember those because we had the figurines. One thing, though... to this day I can't get over the fact that my brother and I had every lion EXCEPT the black one that you needed to put them all together!!! :p
    lve2tch- :D Muppet Show was the greatest!! I still love watching it! What happened to the DVDs of it that got released a couple years back? I only got one before they disappeared! Who's your favorite Muppet? I'm pretty loyal to Kermit...

11. mrs_g_79

mrs_g_79 Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Oh, stink! I just got booted from a literati game because I got so excited about reminiscing that I forgot the game! :eek:

12. sdhudgins

sdhudgins Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

I was a PBS kind of kid most the time
    Sesame Street
    321 Contact
    Mister Rodgers Neighborhood
    Captain Kangaroo
    I loved WEbster and PUnky Brewster though also!!
    the Smurfs were good too, about the only cartoon I'd watch....

I think I just figured out why I don't watch much tv anymore... I apprently got it all out of my system very very young.

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

14. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

I loved Wonder Years and I definately remembered watching Silver Spoons with Ricky Schroder. I even sent him fan mail and got an autograph picture from him. Gotta love him. Use to watch NYPD Blues because of him.

15. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Anyone remember Emergency? Quincy? The Incerdible Hulk with Bill Bixby?? The Waltons? I still remember the episode when the boys left to go into the service.

I gotta say I also miss The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from my son's heyday.

16. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Jenglish, you mentioned getting an autograph. The year my son would be 13 I wrote to all the celebrities he liked, hoping to fill a photo album with their autographs. I was able to get Tom Selleck, Bruce Willis, a jillion wrestlers, all the Golden Girls, Catherine Bach, and I forget who else. I filled two photo albums! Luckily we also got Jerry Orbach, too. Of all these pictures only a very few weren't signed by hand.

My favorites are Chris Noth from Law & Order, and a very sweet, touching letter from Mr. Rogers. He wrote the kindest letter and I still have it.

Sometime later I was able to get a note and signed picture of Vanna White for my mom, as well as Elizabeth Taylor!!

17. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

Becky,
    I loved Emergency and The Rookies.......Loved that Willy Gillis (remember him?) Also liked Night Gallery......do you remember that show that was hosted by Rod Serling of Twilight Zone. It was creepier then the twilight zone....... I remember that Waltons episode,too!

18. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

I am 35 and there was a Spanish (I think Mexican) version of sesame or electic company on when I was a kid: around 1975. I can not rememeber the name of it but I wish I could so I could look it up online. It was something like Vila Legre (I really don't know , I don't even know Spanish) Sorry for rambling on.
    Do any of you know what show I'm talking about??

19. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Jul 26, 2005

Becky,I also loved Emergency, The Rookies, Incredible Hulk.

Who remebers Kukla, Fran, and Ollie?

20. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Becky-

That was a great idea to do for your son. He must of loved it...

I also watched Knight Rider at times.

21. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Jul 26, 2005

I don't know if anyone said this already (because I didn't read all the posts) but how about Charles In Charge? My brother & I used to watch that after we did out homework.
    Oh yeah, I just wanted to say Knight Rider Rocked!

22. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Katerina, I remember that show but I also don't know the name. I can now hear the theme song!!

Jenglish, he did enjoy that and he ended up in the paper for it. It was hard, though. I don't know any of those celebrities and I never knew what to write.

Oh yeah, kinderkids, I remember Night Gallery. Remember S.W.A.T.? OOOHHHH, that Robert Urich!! Let me go fan myself...

23. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Charles in Charge was another one I watched too. Wow all these memories of the shows we watched. I also watched a lot of the Satuday morning cartoons.

24. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Did anyone watch St. Elsewhere? I remember the one where that one doctor's son was killed in a wreck. He snuck into the autopsy and was touching his son's brain and heart, and they'd show flashbacks of when the boy was small. I bawled!!

25. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

Small Wonder was great! I forgot about 321 Contact!! :)

There was also another show I used to watch...I think it was called Out of This World? Had a teenage girl in it and had something to do with outer space. Thats unfortunately all I remember about it.

I had a hard time watching NYPD Blue once Ricky came on...I had to adjust from my Siler spoons memories. I always wanted to ride that train in their house...lol.

26. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

I loved Charles in Charge especially for the Scott and Willie (Willie is now on VH1 celebrity fit club and you can barely recognize him now).
    I also loved Casper The Friendly Ghost, The Hulk, and Speed Racer. I had a crush on him.
    I also loved Ultra Man (the Japanese super hero). This is 70's stuff.

27. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 26, 2005

I loved Out of This World! My cousin and I used to pretend that we could freeze time the way the girl in the show could!

28. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Mork and Mindy was another one...

29. katerina03

katerina03 Devotee

Jul 26, 2005

Oh yeah The Smurfs.

30. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 26, 2005

Anyone remember HR Puf & Stuf?
    The Monkees on Sat. morning?
    Pink Panther?

But, my all time favorite....The Carol Burnett Show.

31. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

Hey, hey, we're the Monkees. Loved it. I think Davy Jones lives in central Florida and raises or trains horses.

32. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

leslye,
    I loved HR puff n stuff, so weird ,,,,Sid and Marty Kroft had all those strange ones on Saturday mornings. Remember the sea creature one with the boy who was in family affair:
    Upsadaisy,
    Davy Jones just appeared in a concert in my city this summer. Mickey Dolens (sp?) also appeared, although they werent together. I have an original Monkees album.

33. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Ahhhhhh..... Davy Jones.... the older he gets the cuter he gets!

Man, you know what celebrity lived near me?? Fred Gwynne- Herman Munster!!! Not fair.

34. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

Becky,
    I always liked Herman! He wrote childrens books, I believe. later in his life. I never had any celebrities live near me although Harrison Ford attended a college only a few miles away from where I live! My old roomate in college mom dated him a short time........I love Harrison Ford!

35. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

I can't imagine that!

36. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 26, 2005

I lived around the corner from Captain Kangaroo on LI.

37. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Randolph Mantooth was about an hour from my house, emceeing the Preakness race last year, I think. My husband has met Al Pacinozzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....LOL.

38. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2005

I had a major crush on Randy Mantooth from Emergency and Willy Gillis from the Rookies.......it was always one or the other who was my "husband" whenever I played house! lol
    Upsadaisy, did you ever run into the captain?
    My grandma knew Endora from bewitched. She once lived in the same small town in WIsconsin.....my grandma always shopped at the same grocery store.

39. becky

becky Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2005

Oh, and my inlaws live in baltimore, where Homicide was filmed. For Richer or Poorer was filmed maybe 1 mile from my house. I pass that farm each time Jeannie goes to gym or Kindermusik.
    I read where they had to ship in corn at different stages of growth to make it look like time was passing in the movie. I was anxious to see it but the vulgar language was disappointing and served no point.

40. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 27, 2005

I forgot Reading Rainbow. :)