Favorite Childhood TV Shows

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by leighbball, Jul 24, 2005.

1. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

My boyfriend bought a dvd burner today and it got me thinking about what old favorite shows I'd like him to download and burn for me. Since I'm a kid at heart, I thought about my favorite shows as a kid. Here are my top 5 in random order ;)

1. Fraggle Rock
    2. Gummy Bears
    3. Care Bears
    4. Lassie
    5. Alf

What are yours??? :cool:

3. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Jul 24, 2005

I lovede Magnum P.I., most girls had Rainbrow Brite beach towels, not me, nope, I had a Magnum P.I. beach towel. Also Thunder Cats, and not Transformers, but the one where the different colored cats came together to form a giant monster type thing, people "drove" the cats or whatever, I had a blue one (is this making any sense?) Yup, I loved Fraggle Rock too.

4. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 24, 2005

The Wonder Years! I loved that show. I use to have to beg to stay up and watch it at 8:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2005

No fair, you guys are all too young!!!

6. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

Upsadaisy,
    I agree.......I hate to tell you what my favorites were 'cause you won't know them! Ugh!

7. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2005

leighbball, your top 5 would proabably be mine too! haha Fraggle Rock was definitely my favorite when I was really little. I watched Lassie all of the time too...I used to make my parents and grandmother come into the living room to wave at Lassie with me at the end of the show!

8. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 24, 2005

anyone remember the Hugga Bunch kids??? I loooooved them.

9. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2005

I looved Hugga Bunch!! It's so funny that other people remember that. For the longest time my friends seriously thought I had made up the movie because they had no clue what I was talking about. Finally I found the video and dolls on ebay and was able to prove to them that I wasn't crazy! My cousin and I used to rent that movie whenever she slept at my house when we were little.

10. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

hehe...thats great! I sometimes used to cry when Lassie was over for the day. I was a strange child!

Wonder years was great too...I also liked Sheera and He-man. lol...oh the memories! (coming from a 24 year old...lol...I guess I'm not making Upsadaisy or kinderkids too happy...sorry guys!!)

Does anybody remember the Snorkels??

11. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2005

It was actually the Snorks....haha :) Obviously I remember that too. I had the little toys that I used to bring in the tub with me! I'm beginning to think i watched a lot of tv as a child!

12. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jul 24, 2005

The smurfs were always a favorite of mine. I even had smurf sheets when I was a kid!

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

I heard they are coming out with a smurf movie!!! I am sooo there! Its supposedly going to be 3d animation...I'm quite sure what that will mean, but I'm still excited!!

14. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2005

Oh, that would be awesome! :)

15. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Jul 24, 2005

Captain Kangaroo and Sesame Street!

I would get up before mom, turn the TV on and if it wasn't on yet, I'd go to her bed, pull back the covers and yell "KANGAROO AIN'T ON!!!!!!" :)

Lori

16. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

Oh! I loved captain Kangaroo and Mr. Green Jeans. Liked the moose but hated the bunny! I remember Romper Room. I don't know if that was only around here though. Might have been.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 24, 2005

I used to watch Romper Room too so it wasn't only around you. I dont know what channel it was on..PBS, maybe? I dont know, but I remember it too.

18. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

another favorite of mine was The Electric Company. Morgan Freeman started on that show. Loved it!

19. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

Captain Kangaroo, Gunsmoke, Leave it to Beaver, Dennis the Menace, The Ed Sullivan Show...What do ya all think about THAT?!

20. summersun61

summersun61 Comrade

Jul 24, 2005

Ooooh what about the California Raisins!!! :)

21. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

'I heard it through the grapevine"

22. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

We could start another thread about commercials.....Wheres the beef? lol

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 24, 2005

Grammy - I am with you on all of those!! Also, I loved Bonanza. Little Joe was sooo cute!! And Hoss was so sweet.

As a child, I remember being sent to bed in the upstairs of a rickety old farmhouse. My brother, sister, and I would lay on our tummies and look through the holes in the grate from the oil burner that was down in the living room. We could hear the tv downstairs and, if we looked just right, the tv could actually be seen. On Sunday nights, we would always watch Bonanza.

24. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

I guess I miss the variety type shows that used to be on ..I loved the Carol Burnett show. I remember watching that with my dad........he would laugh so hard he cried. Those shows were hilarious! He also like Hee Haw, but I never liked that one.

25. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

We must have lived in the same house! We had the oil burner in the living room and we would look down the grates, but I can't recall being able to see the television! Cable was unheard of. We got 2 channels if we were lucky.

26. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

Kinderkids, The Carol Burnett show was so funny...with that dumb Tim Conway and Harvey Coreman. I remember watching Red Skelton and how much we laughed at Clem Kadiddlehopper!!! Yea, I miss the old days of television. There were no dirty jokes or gruesome parts to worry about anyone looking at...
    Think about Andy Griffith! We loved Floyd the barber!

27. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

there is nothing on anymore like that, except for the old reruns on tv land. I love Lucy is still a favorite of mine! Even the shows for kids that are put out today you need to watch carefully.......always inappropriate stuff going on......boo! And if it isn't on the show, the commercials are raunchy!

28. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 24, 2005

Great Thread! It really has me thinking about how kids shows just aren't the same now. I loved:
    1.Punky Brewster
    2.Alvin and the Chipmunks
    3.Strawberry Shortcake
    4.Smurfs
    5.Growing Pains/Who's the Boss
    Does anyone remember watching the cartoon Jem? I use to watch it afterschool everyday!

29. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 24, 2005

Grammy - Did you lay on your back and put your feet on the oil burner to warm your toes?

How about Lost in Space? I loved that robot!

30. karrie723

karrie723 Rookie

Jul 24, 2005

Anyone ever see "The Magic Garden" I loved that show, it was probably on PBS. I also loved Strawberry Shortcake, Fraggle Rock, Family Ties, Tom and Jerry, Magilla Gorilla, Scooby Doo.

The Snorks and Smurfs are still on tv. I think they are on the CArtoon Network Channel. I try to get my girls to watch them once in awhile.

31. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

teacherbell, you must be about 24?
    kinderkids, I Love Lucy...yes! Fred and Ethel were the best!!!
    Yea, t.v. has gone downhill...so sad for today's kids.It's just not the same.

32. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

Glendall, yes we warmed out feet like that and there was a little blower in the back of the stove that my parents would always turn on. We would dry our mittens on top of the stove. We even used it to warm up old baby blankets that we would put in the the old tom cats beds out in the garage. My dad had made them regular little houses and every night mom would warm their blankets and milk! Another thing that the stove was used for was to warm an old dish towel to wrap around our necks when we had sore throats. Mom would "Vicks" us all up real good first and pin that darned warm towel around our necks! Another thing about the stove was how my parents would get all excited if the stove would go out. They had to be careful not to throw a match in the oil pot because it could blow up!!!

33. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 24, 2005

Grammy Teacher,

Close! I am 25.

34. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 24, 2005

Grammy - You really had some great ideas for your oil burner!! We also dried our mittens/gloves on that thing. And, I remember my mother somehow stringing clothes line in the living room (above the oil burner) to dry clothes - that had been washed in the old wringer washer. We didn't have a clothes dryer, so it was either out on the clothes line or in the living room.

I hated it when Mom would "grease us up" with Vicks! She never thought to use a warm towel though. Mom would grease our throats, and if we had a deep chest cold, she would grease out chests too and cover that with a towel tucked into the towel around the throat. Oh, the smell!!

35. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

My mom did the same thing with Vicks too! And now I do that to my kids! :)

36. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Jul 24, 2005

Ick! After I left home, I never bought a jar of Vicks again!!

37. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2005

I didn't think I would, but it really works!

38. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 24, 2005

Oh yeah, Vicks - but with a piece of flannel over it. Now they say not to use Vicks directly onto skin. Can burn it.

Captain Kangaroo, Leave It To Beaver, My Three Sons, Mary Tyler Moore, later on Batman, the Hardy Boys, Dark Shadows after school. And I remember the first time we saw Walt Disney in color!

Did I tell you about having lunch with Captain Kangaroo (and about 20 other people) in about 1990 or so and he looked (in real life) just like he looked on the show when I was a kid? He didn't need a wig or anything, just aged right into himself.

39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 25, 2005

Wonder Years, Alvin, Punky

I also loved "Square One TV" on PBS...

40. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 25, 2005

Grammy & Glenda L..do you remember Sheriff Coffee on Bonaza!!?

Punky Brewster of course, Family Ties (with that Dreamy Michael J. Fox...I still think of him standing by himself every time Billy Verra and the Beaters come on!!!)

How about the cartoon Get Along Gang...their clubhouse was the Kaboose!!! Picture Pages with Billy Cosby and that Bee Marker!!!!

41. Margo

Margo Devotee

Jul 25, 2005

Little House on the Prairie
    The Waltons
    MASH
    **** Van Dyke show
    after that - The Mary Tyler Moore Show
    Carol Burnett