Favorite childhood movies

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by jenglish97, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

Grease is so romantic...the perfect boy meets girl...I thought Olivia was the prettiest thing I'd ever seen...thought John Travolta was a geek in a way, but he was sooooooo cute when he romanced her!

2. leslye

leslye Rookie

Jul 28, 2005

OK. One more comment on Christmas Story. I absolutely love it!!! My favorite part is when the kid gets his tongue stuck on the pole. "Thtuck. Thtuck. Thtuck! Thtuck!!! Whaaa! Thtuck!!" That kid was so funny! And...when Ralphie lies to his mom about where he heard the bad word and told her it was that kid. Then his mom calls the kid's mom and you can hear her spanking him in the background. Schwartz! That was his name! Hilarious!

I also love Young Frankenstein, but my favorites as a kid were any and all Disney animated movies. Had all the albums to them and sang with them constantly! Still love to watch them and the newer ones more than my own kids!

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jul 28, 2005

lselye,
    those parts are funny.......makes me laugh everytime.
    My husband works with someone whose name really is Scott Farcus~lol!
    The school in that movie is identical to the one my youngest son attends, must have been built in 1920 something like his was!

4. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jul 28, 2005

I worked at a school that looks almost identical as the one in the movie as well! Come to think of it, quite a few of the schools in the city look similar. I think they were all built in the late 1800s, early 1900s. It's funny how so many schools were built the same in different parts of the country.

5. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 29, 2005

Oh! I forgot about Savanah Smiles! That was one of my first movies in a real theater (we had a tiny one where I grew up, I travelled to Alexandria to see that one, though!) I also loved all the Benji movies! I showed one this year to my students and they loved it! :)

6. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2005

Anybody say Dirty Dancing!? Love love love that movie. Have to watch it whenever it's on tv. Patrick Swayze was one of my childhood crushes!!!

7. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Jul 30, 2005

I also watch Dirty Dancing whenever it is on tv. It is one of my favorites.

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jul 31, 2005

I love that one. I also remember at a sleepover watching Footloose. We would pause it on the shower scene (where you get the corner of Kevin Bacon's butt.) and break down in giggles.

9. swren

swren Rookie

Aug 1, 2005

I loved Mary Poppins! My husband hates those types of movies.

10. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2005

I loved the movie ET. It was the first movie that I got to go and see in the real movie theater:)

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

My daughter always used to cry at the end of ET. Now she bawls at the end of the final Lord of the Rings!
    I'm dating myself, but does anyone remember going to the outdoor? They had one in the town I grew up in, and all the time in the summer we used to hang out there. I remember going with a carfull of friends watching Friday the 13th and Halloween. I was so creeped out, I didn't want to get out of the car to run into my house. I loved the outdoor theaters!

12. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 2, 2005

The outdoor theaters are making a comeback in Minnesota. I know of a couple of them, none are close to me though :( I would love to go to an outdoor theater, (along with the bugspray, of course :) ) and experience it. Whenever my mom's side of the family gets together they always talk about it!

13. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

Too funny! I always talk it about with my siblings too. Now the outdoor is torn down, and the new high school in my hometown sits there. We used to sneak kids in the trunk of the car.........how cheap can you get? :p
    The owner caught on and would do random trunk checks. LOL! Those were great memories! Glad to hear they are making a comeback! We only live a state apart, so maybe they'll come back here, too.

14. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2005

I have too many favorites to mention, but Disney movies hold great memories for me. My Grandfather took me to see all the Disney movies from the time I was old enough to sit still until he could no longer drive because of illness. Then aftter that one of the churches in the small town I live in played them on a screen outside. WOw what great memories, mosqitoes, movies and the boy I had a crush on. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

15. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 2, 2005

Another one of my favorite movies is Stand By Me. In fact, I had just purchased the DVD yesterday and watched it last night. Love the movie...

16. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2005

Another movie I love..."The Jerk", with Steve Martin. I think that whole entire movie is hilarious!

I also love "Ever After" with Drew Barrymore. So romantic!

Other good movies..."American Pie", "Awakenings", "Big Daddy" (love Adam Sandler), "Blow", "Labamba", "Caddyshack", "Donny Brasco", "Basketball Diaries"...there are just too many to list. I love movies!

17. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 2, 2005

Mary Poppins. My friends parents took us to Radio City Music Hall to see it for her birthday.

Also, Pollyanna, The Parent Trap, Born Free.

18. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 3, 2005

I love the Anne of Green Gables movies. I also remember wanting to rent the movie Space Camp a lot.

19. srh

srh Devotee

Aug 4, 2005

I'm having trouble thinking right now....but I always LOVED Shirley Temple movies (black and white!) on TV. In fact, when I had a daughter, we started a collection, and now, she's 21, and I have a bin full of my favorite movies!!

On the dark side, I really did like a TV movie (also in black and white, ages ago) called The Bad Seed. I don't know whether it was ever remade or not, but it was eery. And a little K student I had in student teaching looked just like Ms. McCormick (sp?). Oooohhhh....

And, did anyone ever see a goofy movie called (I think), "The 10,000 Fingers of Dr. T?" T for Terwilliger? It was all a fantasy thing about a monstrous-sized piano and kids who hated playing it. PLEASE, somebody else, remember this too!! (I'm beginning to question myself lately! :-D)

20. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

My mom liked the old movies and musicals so I grew up watching the King and I and The Music Man. I loved the original Parent Trap too. I can remember watching Elvis movies as a kid too.

21. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 4, 2005

I know I'm a little behind...but I remember seeing Popeye with Robin Williams at the Drive In!!!

Mrs. Doubtfire...LOVE that movie!!!!

I love Rudy & Hoosiers...before every bball playoff we'd get together as a team, have a pizza party & watch Hoosiers!!!!

22. teacherbell

teacherbell Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

I also like Hoosiers! But that could be because of where I am from! :)

23. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

There are children's movies that are out now that I love, too. For example, I adore A Little Princess and Dinosaur. A favorite in my family is Zues and Roxanne.

24. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I, too, am someone who is... shall we say... less than fond of A Christmas Story. I can watch it but my hubby and bro-in-law are from the "24 hour marathon" variety and I just get sick of it. For days after Christmas I have nightmares of shooting my eye out! :) As far as childhood movies - I've always liked to scare myself so Watcher in the Wood was a movie that I always loved. I think it was Bette Davis who played Karen's mom and she just freaked me out. I watched it a couple of months ago and it just wasn't the same, but growing up I LOVED it.

25. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

I forgot about that one. I have the tape, my niece (15) scared herself silly with that one. When the kid fell in the water she was under the bean bag going..."Hmmm...ok, so that was good, what else you got to watch?"

26. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Aug 9, 2005

I forgot about one until I saw it on TV the other day. I loved "The Gnome Mobile" when I was REALLY little. I tried to get my son (8) to watch it, but he wouldn't and my daughter is only 3 months, so she wasn't interested either.