Favorite Chapter Read Alouds

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pattie, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I teach gifted 1st grade so a 2nd grade level for reading is good. What are some of your favorite Chapter Books for reading aloud after lunch? I have done Charlottes Web and Stuart Little and Mr. Popper's Penguins. I need some more good titles. Anybody done some other good ones?

3. Starista

Starista Cohort

Jul 26, 2007

Hi Pattie!

I just have to second loving Charlotte's Web. :)

Last year we saw the play on a field trip and read the book, it was really nice. :love:

4. prettyinpink

prettyinpink Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

James adn the Giant Peach, Matilda

both have great movesi that you can watch to compare to the book!

5. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Jul 26, 2007

6. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

go to a library and ask the librarian for a list of the most checked out childrens books for age 6-7. They will give you hundreds of ideas. plau they might even have packages with puppets to go along with the book.

7. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2007

My 2nd graders loved Charlie & The Chocolate Factory!!
    Some other greats are:

Flat Stanley (we made our own Flat Stanley's & mailed them out for geography)

Charlotte's Web (we read book, watched original cartoon, & saw the live play & extended it into our letter writing unit by writing a friendly letter to our favorite character)

The Hundred Dresses

I think next year, I'll include:
    Matilda by Roald Dahl(and maybe watch the movie)

8. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I did a bunch of Roald Dahl books this year (George's Marvelous Medicine, Esio Trot, The Twits, etc.) my kids were so intently listening it was amazing! They had their eyes fixated on me with their mouths open. Other chapter books I read I could tell they were bored.

9. collteach

collteach Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I would check with the higher grades to see what they read, and avoid those books. In our system, each grade level had a list of about 6-10 books that are supposed to be used strictly at the grade level listed. The students could definitely read the book independently, but teachers are supposed to avoid using them in whole group or guided reading.

10. love_reading

love_reading Comrade

Jul 26, 2007

I like Beverly Clearly...like the Ramona books.
    You might check into Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, those are good.

11. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 26, 2007

Try The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling. It has a moral (think the Midas Touch fable) and there are several free "teaching guides" online if you want to delve deeper into it!

12. Pattie

Pattie Companion

Jul 26, 2007

Thanks everybody! Those are all great ideas for read alouds. I will make a list. I've heard that chocolate touch is a good one, and I have read Charlie and Chocolate factory in the past and kids did love it too.

13. kgardner

kgardner Rookie

Jul 26, 2007

When I was a nanny, the boy I watched LOVED "Captain Underpants" by Dav Pilkey. I, personally, loved reading it with him, too. I have to say, there isn't much "good literature" there, BUT it is GREAT for your kids who "don't like" reading.

In college, my professor had us read "Flat Stanley," then we had to make our own Flat (Our Name) and mail it to different friends and family across the US - some even sent it to other countries! Then whoever they mailed it to would take the Flat whoever on a tour of the area and take pictures. It was weird for college, but would be super cute for a second grade if you have involved parents.

14. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 26, 2007

My students (1st grade) love the A to Z mystery series that I read to them. They love trying to solve the mystery before the kids do in the book.

On another note, one of my current pet peeves in teaching is the fact that some schools are saying that certain books are designated to certain grade levels and other grade levels are not allowed to use those books. My school is trying to do this right now. THIS DRIVES ME NUTS! If children can watch movies over and over again, why can't they read/hear a book over and over again. The older they get and the more times they read/hear the book the more they gain from it. There are many times that I have seen a movie or read a book and didn't notice something until the 2nd or 3rd time that I watched/read it. Is there anyone else out there who agrees with me??

15. Youngteacher226

Jul 26, 2007

That's exactly what my class did with their Flat Stanley's!!! It was a BIG hit!!:2up:

16. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 26, 2007

When I student taught, I read Little House in the Big Woods, Mr. Popper's Penguins and My Life With the Chimpanzees. I DID NOT pick, my mentor teacher did. Now, the Little House book is great, but the other two... I was bored, so I can only image how bored the kids were! My mentor teacher reads one novel from each genre. I tried to read Matilda or Ella Enchanted, but I was overruled :(
    Ooh, what about Tuck Everlasting? LOVE that book!!

17. Youngteacher226

Jul 26, 2007

I understand what you are saying about a child reading a story for the 2nd or 3rd time and noticing something new. But my school is thinking about doing this and I love the idea of having a running list of books per grade level and I'll tell you why. I believe that it is more beneficial for the students that they read their designated books, have great book discussions, make predictions about the story, discuss character development etc. and really get to know those select books very well. That way they can talk about them etc. But if the kids are reading some of the same books year after year, how will they be able to walk away with an abundance of good literature to refer to?? Especially once they get to high school and/or college? I know that in my elementary years, I don't remember a whole bunch of read alouds that my teachers read to me because they probably just read the books & that was that. Like I remember teachers reading Charlotte's Web and some Amelia Bedelia books but that's it.
    So I do think that each grade level should "master" their select stories and prepare those students for higher level comprehension once they get to the next grade.

18. cb4pebbles

cb4pebbles Companion

Jul 26, 2007

I can agree with what you said. I totally understand it from that view point and can totally agree with it. But I'm in a situation where the teachers (certain ones, not all of them) are not worried about enriching the students learning with various literature. They are not coming at it from that standpoint. They are just acting very selfish and not wanting anyone else to read the books that they read because they don't want the kids coming to them already knowing the story and already having done certain activities with the book. (Those are their exact words.) They don't want to have to think of new ways to do things or new books to read. They just want to do the same thing they've done for 20+ years. I guess maybe this is what bothers me. They are not thinking about what is best for the kids. They are just thinking about themselves.

19. Youngteacher226

Jul 26, 2007

Yes, if that is their motive than I agree with you. Nothing aggrevates me more than when a teacher gets comfortable with the way they've been teaching for 20+ years and are afraid to teach outside of the box. So what if you have to try different read alouds. Thats what we as teachers are supposed to do, try new things. So I can see how that can aggrevate you. Don't those teachers know that there are so many other quality stories out there????:confused:

20. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Jul 26, 2007

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a HIT for my first graders! They also loved Flat Stanley, Ramona, Junie B. Jones, Freckle Juice, A to Z Mysteries, I can't think of what else!

21. NewbieTeachr

NewbieTeachr Rookie

Jul 27, 2007

I agree...I loved Runaway Ralph when I was younger and I plan to read it to my students! I also liked The Rats of NYMH but I'm not sure if I'll read that one or not,

22. Cindy5522

Cindy5522 Rookie

Jul 30, 2007

My 2nd graders loved James and the Giant Peach, The Tale of Despereaux, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Because of Winn Dixie, and the list could go on.

Last year I added a fun culminating activity for a couple of the books we read. For example, when we were finishing The Wizard of Oz, we had an Emerald City day. I decorated the classroom with lots of green and such. The students were allowed to dress as their favorite character from the book. The students wrote about their characters' experiences on their journey to the Emerald City. It was a full day. We also had green snacks. We did something similar with Charlotte's Web.

23. BethMI

BethMI Cohort

Jul 30, 2007

I'm with the Roald DAhl readers-my kids love them every year! They have also liked A to Z mysteries-I read A to get them hooked, then a bunch continued reading them. I am going to do a Choose your adventure book this year, picking sticks to have kids choose what we (the main character) do next. Then they can reread and change the outcome-hoping to get them hooked on these this way.