Favorite Books...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by msswofford, Feb 2, 2009.

1. msswofford

msswofford New Member

Feb 2, 2009

I'm currently taking classes towards an education degree. I LOVE books and am always sharing my favorites with neighbors and friends. I love giving books as presents. It always interests me what people are reading. So...

What two or three books would you have to have in your class to make the room complete? Which ones could you not live without? What books are essential, "must-haves" for your classroom?

(Please include what age or grade level the books cover.)

Thanks!!

3. adventuresofJ

adventuresofJ Comrade

Feb 2, 2009

For Teachers or for the kids?

4. msswofford

msswofford New Member

Feb 2, 2009

Sorry! Clarification...

Sorry! Yes, I'm mostly interested in what books for KIDS you'd have to have in your classroom... I have a six year old daughter and she has so many favorites and we love sharing them with our younger friends and neighbors. So, yes, I'd like to know what kids books would be a must-have...

Although, now that you bring it up - it'd be cool to get some recommendations on adult books too! But that's for another time, maybe..

Thanks!

Melissa

5. jd123

jd123 Cohort

Feb 3, 2009

I will never outgrow Corduroy -it's got adventure, acceptance, and teddy bears. It's timeless. I also like a book by Bill Peet (I think) called Kermit the Hermit. It's about a hermit crab who learns how not to be selfish. It's a long poem. I bring Kermit the Hermit with me when I sub, and will read it if time permits. I would have that book in my library!
    (My favorite adult book is To Kill a Mockingbird.)

6. glitterfish

glitterfish Comrade

Feb 8, 2009

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulaine (Kate DiCamillo) and Judy Moody was in a Mood. Not a Good Mood. A Bad Mood (Megan McDonald)

I use these as read-alouds in 4th and my kids love them, but they would be very suitable for 3rd and even 2nd.

As a child, I loved the Narnia series and the Oz series (did you know there was more than one book?) when I was in late elementary.

I, too, love books. It's hard to think of just one. I think the key for a classroom library is including lots of books that you don't love yourself (Captain Underpants, for example) because you have remember that a 9 year old boy is not going to have the same interests as an "old" female teacher. So, I try to stock my classroom with everything from comics to cook books!

7. frogger

frogger Devotee

Feb 8, 2009

Yeah I agree with glitterfish - I try to get a broad spectrum of books regardless if I like them or not - I have Capt. Underpants as well as Diary of the Wimpy Kid Series - boys love them and if it gets some of them reading who wouldn't then I am all for it and hope that spark to read will result in them expanding their horizons - which I have seen.

8. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Feb 8, 2009

I teach 5th grade, and absolute must have's in my room for the kids are: Richard Peck books, Hatchet, Andrew Clements books, Matt Christopher books, Some of the Newberry Winners, and a few of my favorites from childhood.(the kids always want to read them).
    For picture books to teach reading strategies, I love all Patrica Palocco books and Chris Van Allsburg. Seymour Simon books are wonderful non fiction.
    My must have adult teaching book is Guiding Readers and Writers by Fountas and Pinnell.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Feb 8, 2009

Elementary age (would use them differently depending on the grade, but still use them)

The Jolly Postman
    The Blue Day Book for Kids

Early elementary:
    Any Eric Carle book
    any Kevin Henkes Book

Upper elementary:
    Patricia Polacco picture books
    Kate DiCamillo chapter books

I am sure there are many more but these are the ones that come to mind.

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 8, 2009

The Stinky Face books are cute!!!
    Stranger in the woods & Lost in the woods... I haven't read the others yet... But they were done in Michigan!!!

11. Alesia

Alesia Companion

Feb 8, 2009

Preschool- Books by Mo Willems and David Shannon.

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Feb 8, 2009

3d/4th - The Secret Garden
    5th - Maniac Magee, Number the Stars

13. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Feb 8, 2009

They're picture books, but I can find a way to use the Pigeon books in any grade, for multiple uses! My favorites are Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (the original) and The Pigeon Wants a Puppy.

14. Mrs.Z.

Mrs.Z. Companion

Feb 9, 2009

Scholastic sells Caldecott winners by the set. I love them all!

"May I Bring a Friend" and "Where the Wild Things Are" are my 2 all-time favorites.

I also like "Joe Cinders". It's a Cinderella story about a cowBOY! It's written in a very colloquial twang, so you can't be shy to read it.:thumb:

15. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Feb 9, 2009

I teach 5th grade. My must have books include:

Novels-The Janitor's Boy, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, the Ramona books, and The Lightning Thief

Picture books-The Stinky Cheese Man, The Spider and the Fly, Stephanie's Ponytail (and some other Robert Munsch books), Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, and Grahame Base books.

I loved reading as a child, but beyond the Ramona and Little House books, I can't think of any absolute favorites. I also LOVE Harold and the Purple Crayon, but that will never go over with 5th graders.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  16. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Feb 9, 2009

The Invention of Hugo Cabret was the Caldecott Winner last year, it's been a favorite for a read aloud for the last couple of years. The pictures are beautifully done and the story is a boy Cinderella story. There's plenty of drama and lots of pages with no words where the pictures tell the story. Also, The Tale of Desperaux, with the movie just out it'd make a great comparsion/contrast of book to movie.

17. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Feb 9, 2009

Upper Elementary - Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events

Lower Elementary - Anything by Robert Munsch

Either - Anything by Jon Sciezka

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2009

Chrysanthemum by Kevin Henkes

Koala Lou by Mem Fox

19. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 10, 2009

I have to have Where The Wild Things Are--I have used that for PS and K. When a teacher loves a book, the children feel it.

20. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

My second graders howl with laughter when we read My Father's Dragon, by Ruth Stiles Gannett, and they also love The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl.

Older kids enjoy reading David and the Phoenix, by Edward Ormondroyd, a little-known, but enchanting book that I loved as a child. The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton is also a fabulous novel.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 10, 2009

'Stay gold, Ponyboy. Stay gold...' I could still weep over that line.

22. minnie

minnie Cohort

Feb 10, 2009

The Giving Tree definitely! I read it to my kindergartners a couple of months ago and they were just enamored with it. They loved it!