Favorite Board Games

Discussion in 'General Education' started by jillybean, Jul 13, 2009.

1. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

What are your favorite board games? I want to make a list because I always have family member asking me what they can get me to help out.

So tell me what your favorite board game is that you play in your classrooom?:thanks:

3. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

I don't have a classroom yet...but some our favorite board games are Zingo, Cha-Cha Chicken (memory game), Pictureka, and we just bought a game like battleship, but it uses sight words.

4. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

What is the battleship game called?

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

For recess:
    Apples to apples
    Connect 4

For 'in-class' use (usually during lit centers):
    Boggle
    Scrabble Jr
    Up Words

6. Andrea L

Andrea L Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

I like Trouble because it is a great counting game for the kids. I also really like Guess Who, because it teaches the students how to ask questions. I use these during indoor recess time.

7. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

We just bought it at Lakeshore learning yesterday--I'll check when I get home and post the name, sorry I can't remember off hand.

8. glen

glen Companion

Jul 13, 2009

For kids a little older: Scattergories and Pictionary

9. mstnteacherlady

mstnteacherlady Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

10. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 13, 2009

Hey I was just going to say Scattergories!!! LOL!!!

The game I remember love playing was Othello on inside recess.

What about just some card games UNO, Skip Bo, just a pack of plain old playing cards, Gold Fish & Old Maid (do we still call it that or is there another more pc term for it....I'm joking).

My cousins taught me a game called clock to help kids get more familiar with where the number are on the clock...fun 1 person game or play against each other to see who wins.

11. tb71

tb71 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

That's it! I didn't buy the whole set, we just bought level 2. Had to play it as soon as we got home.

12. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

13. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 13, 2009

Jilly,
    I love games in the classroom. They basically fall into 2 categories -- regular board games and education games (the kinds you usually by through a teacher's store.)

I have to tell you that you can do "wish list" registries on lakeshorelearning.com. I've done that for many Christmas' and the really nice thing is that once the item is marked as bought, you don't get duplicates! (One year, I got 7 of the same game from relatives -- all from amazon. Fortunately, it was a fabulous game, so I didn't mind too much.)

Regular Board Games:
    Count-Down (great for addition, subtraction and later multiplication and division.) It comes in both a 2 player and a 4 player version. The 4 player version is more versatile for a classroom. (This is a multi-player version of "Shut the Box.")

Connect Four. Add a set of quiz cards to the box. Students try to answer the quiz card. If they get it right, they get a turn. If they don't, their turn is over. It is a great way to make it more "academic."

Battleship is great for 4th or 5th, or any grade where reading a map grid is part of the curriculum.

Chess (but then again, I'm the chess coordinator for my school.)

Mancala -- not only is this a great math game, you can use the board itself to teach mulitplication and division lessons. This makes it very multi-fuctional.

Toss Up -- this is a small game (fits in your hand) and is great for teaching probability.

You can also add quiz cards to any "go around" board game -- you have to answer correctly in order to roll the dice. If not, it is the next person's turn.

Any game with a die can be changed into a lesson in odd and even. If the student rolls a 1, 3, or 5 (an odd number) they move 1 space. If they roll a 2, 4, or 6 (an even number) they move 2 spaces.

Educational Games:
    Dino Math Tracks is fabulous for teaching place value. Play it without the thousands place for younger students, with the thousands for older, and add the challenge cards that come with it for more of a challenge. Fabulous, fabulous game.

Money Bags -- great for counting money -- has a spinner that directs you to exclude certain coins. So you get to collect 35 cents, but the spinner might say "no dimes." Now you have to come up with a way to make 35 cents without using dimes.

Allowance -- There are two educational games called this. One is called simply "Allowance" and the other is now called "The Allowance Game." I'm refering to "Allowance." Great money game.

Swamp Sum -- fun game for learning simple addition and subtraction facts.

I know I'll think of others later.

-------

I tend to prefer games that use 2 dice instead of 1 die -- because you have to add them which gets more math in there. I always encourage students to say the numbers, not just count the dots. So don't count the six dots and then the four dots and say 10, say 6 plus 4 equals 10. The first way builds counting skills, but the second builds counting and addition skills.

Have fun! Games make class time so much more exciting.

14. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

We play Jeopardy with EVERYTHING. But just a game?

I like to play the OLD OLD game Racko. The older kids like the challenge...and the younger kids learn number sense. (well, the older struggling kids learn number sense as well...but they won't like ADMITTING that's it's helping them academically)!

15. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

Catchphrase! Great for talking about adjectives!

16. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Oh... I forgot...

My clincial experience (practicum) cooperating teacher introduced me to Catch Phrase.

Great for teaching vocabulary and word choice...without the kids realizing that they are learning.

17. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Jul 13, 2009

Jinx!

18. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 13, 2009

Do you know the age range for Catchprase?

Does anyone have sequence for kids and do the kids like it?

19. teach2boyz

teach2boyz Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

I've found that students don't know how to play the "basic" games-like Monolopy, Clue, Yatzhee etc.

Chess for sure!!!

We played Yatzhee the other day with our 10 yo. He creamed us both times. Great game!

CatchPhrase--played it w/5th graders and I had more than half wanting to play! They LOVED it (so did I, I must admit!).

Apples to Apples was a big hit, too.

20. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 13, 2009

Blurt (card game similar to Catchphrase)
    Password
    Mancala
    Chess
    Brainquest (good for short amount of time)
    HiQ (individual player)
    WordO
    Cinque
    Slap the Deck

21. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

I really like Sorry... I used it a LOT this past year teaching kids social skills. (I've even taught anger management lessons with this game by taking all the ones and twos out of the deck :lol: )

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

My 5th graders last year loved "Last Word"--you flip over a card with a category on, and then a later, and everybody blurts out things that fit in the category and start with that letter. There's a timer that goes off after a random amount of time, and the last person to say something before the buzzer gets the point. Really got them thinking creatively!

23. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 13, 2009

24. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

Thank you for all the great games mentioned!

I'm going to sponsor a Board Games Club this year, and I need to get more games. I would stick to Chess, but I'm just not that good at the game. I may talk the gifted ed teacher into holding that one.

I loved playing Phase Ten this summer with my family.

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 14, 2009

LOVE THIS GAME AS WELL!!! They do have Phase 10 dice that you might be able to use in the class. Some of my fav memories are sitting around with different groups of fam member playing this game. I'm glad we use to play with my grampa before he passed it was so much fun spending all that time with members of your family!!!

26. jillybean

jillybean Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

I love Phase Ten!!

27. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

My kids LOVE apples to apples. They beg me to play.

Also scattergories, blurt, boggle, password, smartmouth...

I am killer at Blurt, so when a kid gets really good at that one, I always challenge him or her to a game. It's pretty funny. I only had a kid beat me once. lol.

28. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

How did I forget these? They are two of my all-time favorites and absolutely wonderful for math logic and deductive reasoning:

Mastermind

Set (this is technically a card game and can only be bought from teacher stores or catalogs)

You can play Set online to get a feel for it:

www.setgame.com

29. dcalhoun

dcalhoun Companion

Jul 14, 2009

Chutes and Ladders and Hi Ho Cherrios are also good for counting

30. ryhoyarbie

ryhoyarbie Comrade

Jul 14, 2009

Monoply. It teaches kids about capitalism and greed, a future career they might have later on.

31. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

In the classroom (these are all games, but not all "board games")- Reading Roadway, Zooreka, Quizmo, Sesquipadelian, Boggle, Deal or No Deal, Roll and Multiply, those from Lakeshore, Payday, Cranium FamilyFun, Blokus (http://www.fatbraintoys.com/toy_companies/mattel/blokus.cfm), Charoodles, anything from ThinkFun (http://www.thinkfun.com/CATEGORY.ASPX?PageNo=CATEGORY&Catalog=By+Category&Category=3KIDS8PLUS), Science Diction...

This may help, also- http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=19838

32. shouldbeasleep

Jul 14, 2009

Now all I have to do is organize the ones I have and get the other ones donated.

I also liked playing Life when I was a kid. I played it recently with my nieces, nephews, and son, who are all in their twenties, and they had a blast.

33. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

Hint: Xerox all the "instruction sheets" and keep a copy in a file. THey always disappear. :)

34. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2009

I have always loved Sorry-- Simple and fun!

35. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Jul 14, 2009

LIFE is a GREAT game, and so is Battleship. I am enjoying this thread because it's helping me to think about the games I offer in my classroom.

36. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jul 14, 2009

Oh! Good call!

I had a game on loan from the district, and lost the instructions somehow... I was able to get the instructions photocopied and send to me via school mail from someone else who had the game. Xeroxing instruction sheets is BRILLIANT!

37. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jul 14, 2009

There are also many websites that have instructions to all the popular games and you can download them there. However, if it is an educational game, they don't generally have them.

If the instructions are one-sided, I often glue them into the box lid.

38. shouldbeasleep

Jul 14, 2009

Excellent suggestion re directions from both of you!

39. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Jul 15, 2009

I teach 8th grade language arts and an state exam prep class. I use the following:

The New Yorker Game :thumb: Had to take some cards out (too adult) but each card has a New Yorker cartoon without a caption. Each round, one child is the "judge" and the rest have to come up with a caption for the same cartoon. The "judge" picks the one he/she likes best. That person advances 2 spaces on the board.

You've Been Sentenced - just got this one, won lots of awards, looks like fun, players get 10 5-sided cards with words. Have to create a complete sentence using as many cards as possible. Reinforces sentence vs fragment, vocabulary, grammar. Won all sorts of educational awards too.

Taboo Do remove some cards - inappropriate for the age, good for adjectives/vivid verbs

Catchphrase - they love this

Apples to Apples JR.

Big Boggle

Scrabble :thumb: (encourages dictionary use - I'm a little loose with the rules depending on the group playing)

Buzz Word - trivia, more for filler, recess

Up Words

Scattergories

Backgammon - recess

Chess/checkers - recess

40. ahsila

ahsila Companion

Jul 15, 2009

Apples to Apples Jr. is great for later elementary age. I also use my own version of Imaginiff for fun days. Most of the questions in Imaginiff are school appropriate, but my classes made their own question cards on index cards and we play with those cards.

41. nattles19

nattles19 Comrade

Jul 15, 2009

Awww...I loved Mastermind when I was a kid. What a great game!

I also like Yahtzee. It's great for strategy, addition, and multiplication. Although I've only used it when I play with students, not leaving them on their own. I find myself modeling all kinds of mental math strategies, though.

Has anyone heard of Pass the Pigs? It's good for mental addition. A parent introduced me to it a couple of years ago and my students love it.