Favorite back to school activities/lessons

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by K-5_teacherguy, Aug 13, 2016.

1. K-5_teacherguy

K-5_teacherguy Companion

Aug 13, 2016

With my first day of school less than a week away, I have obviously spent a lot of time preparing this week. This got me thinking about what other teachers like to do the first few days back. Do you have any favorites? Anything your students really seem to enjoy year after year?

3. Teach with hope.

Teach with hope. Rookie

Sep 1, 2016

We do a lot of community building activities and getting to know one another. A favorite each year is a game called "Master in the Middle" the whole class arranges their chairs in a circle. The teacher plays too he/she starts out by being the master in the middle, but does not have a chair in the circle. They start by saying their name and something about themselves. For example, "My name is Mr. Smith and I have a cat." anyone else who has a cat has to get up as fast as possible and rush to a new chair. This includes the teacher. Because there is one less person than there are chairs there will be a new master in the middle. The game continues. You learn a lot about one another and the kids get to get up and get moving. So much fun!

Hope

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 1, 2016

I do a lot of group challenges/activities during the first week; it helps me get to know the kids and it helps to set the tone for the year. The Marshmallow Challenge is a favourite! I'm trying Save Fred for the first time this year; it looks like a lot of fun!

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 2, 2016

I liked doing a treasure hunt (scavenger hunt) in our classroom library. They would have to find genres, particular titles, the labels for genres, the number of books in a particular genre, their favorite type of non-fiction, etc. All great practice reviewing terms and generating interest.