Favorite app(etizers)

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by silverspoon65, Apr 18, 2010.

1. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2010

Funny that someone started the fave iPhone apps thread and Alice thought it was about food, because I came on here to start an appetizers thread.

Last month I told everyone about the dessert party we did for my mom's birthday and I got lots of suggestions for dessert recipes. Well we had so much fun, we decided to do the same thing this month for my sister's birthday, except instead we are doing appetizers instead. Basically, everyone brings an app and throws in $5 and we are having a little tasting contest. Winner gets the pot.

I don't know what to make... I usually make spinach dip or buffalo chicken dip, but it seems like everyone else is making dip. I have an awesome recipe for asian lettuce wraps but I have made them before and they didn't go over that great with that part of the family.

What are your best app recipes? I can also use them when we have our open house in a few months.

3. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

I don't really have any app recipes. Usually I'll just do a buffalo chicken dip or spinach artichoke dip. If you don't mind, I would love it if you would share your Asian lettuce wraps recipe!!

4. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 18, 2010

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 18, 2010

I make sausage balls for work a lot. I've had people waiting for me to get to work to get them. The last time I made them I kept them in my room until time for my team to have break so we could actually have them.

I also make good deviled crab puffs.

I can post recipes if you're interested.

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

Here's one that I love:

Layered Seafood Spread

Combine an 8 ounce brick of cream cheese (softened) with 1/2 cup sour cream until smooth. Spread in the bottom of a pie plate or quiche pan. Over the cream cheese mixture, spread 1/2 cup seafood cocktail sauce then layer on: baby shrimp or crumbled crab meat, shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, finely chopped green onion, finely chopped red or orange bell pepper, and finely shredded mild cheese (such as mozzarella). Serve with pita crisps, tortilla chips and assorted crackers.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 18, 2010

Vegetable Crescent Pizza

1 pkg. Pillsbury crescent rolls
    8 oz. cream cheese, softened
    1 env. Hidden Valley Ranch salad dressing mix
    Assorted raw vegetables, chopped (broccoli, red onion, red and green peppers...)
    Shredded cheese (get one of those 8 ounce shredded cheese bags- cheddar is good, but you could also get the 4 cheese blend which is nice)

Open roll of crescent rolls - do not separate into rolls; bake as one piece on an ungreased cookie sheet. Follow package directions for temperature and baking time. Let cool.
    Mix envelope of salad dressing with softened cream cheese and blend thoroughly. Spread this mixture evenly over the cooled crescent rolls.

Thinly sliced raw vegetables and arrange them on the cream cheese, covering the entire "pizza". Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Cut into squares and serve. Be sure to refrigerate until served. Serves: appetizers for 6-8.

8. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Apr 18, 2010

There's always Cheese and Crackers. I like taking spreadable cheeses and shaping them into stuff (buildings, people, whatever), then using softened cream cheese to "frost" the creation, then some appropriate spices to "decorate" (whole peppercorns make great eyes, for example).

If you don't want to cook, TGI Friday's has a selection of their appetizers in the frozen foods section. My FAVES are the Pot Stickers. They cook easily and are *almost* as good as if you go out to eat.

9. SunnyGal

SunnyGal Companion

Apr 18, 2010

Chicken-Ranch Cheeseball

1 block of cream cheese
    1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
    1 can of shredded chicken

Mix it all up and shape into a ball. Serve it with crackers.
    It's so flippin' good!

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

I've had cereal, and chef boyardee today so far...I wish sooo much that I could go out and buy ingredients for these appetizers you all are posting...so hungry...lol

Sunny- i really want to try that cheeseball thing...I LOVE cheese!!!

I love the spinich dip that you can make from the powdered ranch dressing...sooo good!
    Deviled eggs are another fave.

11. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

I would just make something ordinary that I know tastes good, but then arrange in a creative way for the party

[​IMG]

12. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Apr 18, 2010

lol...that's neat

13. lilmisses1014

lilmisses1014 Comrade

Apr 18, 2010

Ooooo, thank you, silverspoon! Those look awesome and not too complicated! :)

My mom has an awesome recipe for spicy meatballs... I should get that from her sometime.

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 18, 2010

Spring rolls

1 pkg egg roll wraps
    1 pkg tofu
    1 pkg bean sprouts
    1 egg
    Chopped veggies to suit. I use, onion, celery, zuke, jicima or radish

Blend, I use my hands. Fill and roll wraps per pkg directions. I use some flour mixed with water to "glue" them together

Deep fat fry.

So yummy.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 18, 2010

This is dinner in my household, but for a crowd it would make a fine appetizer:

SUPPER NACHOS

1 standard can refried beans (black beans are tastiest)
    Guacamole
    Sour cream
    Sliced or chopped black olives
    Tortilla chips
    Other garnishes as desired: fresh cilantro, jalapenos, grated cheese(s), whatever

In a pie plate or quiche plate, spread the refried beans evenly. You can heat them up first, or if your pie plate is microwave-safe, you can heat them up at this point, but you certainly don't have to.

Spread the guacamole evenly over the refried beans. I haven't specified how much guacamole because, in my house, that's determined by the avocados available.

Spread the sour cream over the guacamole, or if you're feeling fancy (or want to reduce calories), I suppose you could dollop sour cream here and there.

Scatter the olives and whatever other garnish you like over the sour cream.

Serve with tortilla chips.

16. Major

Major Connoisseur

Apr 18, 2010

Gazpacho

6 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    1 purple onion, finely chopped
    1 cucumber, peeled, seeded, chopped
    1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
    2 stalks celery, chopped
    1-2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    2 Tbsp chopped fresh chives
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 teaspoons sugar
    Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
    6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce to taste
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (omit for vegetarian option)
    4 cups tomato juice

Combine all ingredients. Blend slightly, to desired consistency. Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to blend.

17. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 18, 2010

If I have a way to keep them hot I love making chicken wraps. (Actually the recipe is called Deer Doovers because a friend's husband made a play on hors d'oeuvres :D) The original recipe is the same except it calls for deer backstrap. I don't get that often so I make it with chicken.

A pound of chicken breasts
    Italian dressing
    cream cheese (kept cold)
    bacon
    jalepeno slices
    toothpicks (listed on my recipe because I never seem to have a box in the house)

Slice the chicken into bite-size pieces and place in a bowl. Pour the dressing over the chicken and let it marinate all night. To put the wraps together, slice the bacon in half (or thirds if you want less bacon). Take 1 bacon slice and place a piece of chicken in the middle, put a small pat of cream cheese on the chicken, then lay a jalepeno slice on top of that and wrap the bacon. Use the toothpick to hold hold together. (My sister hates hot food so I use party toothpicks and red go in the hot ones and green in the ones without jalepenos.) I start them in a skillet and start the bacon cooking, then put them on a cookie sheet. 350 for 20 - 25 minutes and you have a yummy snack. If you are able, they taste even better grilled, but still start the bacon in the skillet.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 19, 2010

I make these POTSTICKERS that I think taste better than the restaurants! :D

wonton skins
    1 lb ground turkey (I think it's more flavorful than beef)
    chopped scallions
    chopped shitake mushrooms
    chopped jalapeno (optional...for a little zest)
    oyster sauce
    splash of soy sauce
    sesame oil

Mix all the above together in a bowl (except for the sesame oil) & fill the skins w/ it. Cook them in a skillet in sesame oil for a few min on ea side. When they're golden brown on ea side, they're done. Pat them w/ paper towels to absorb the extra oil. (Serves 4 people.)

19. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Apr 19, 2010

Cream Cheese Ball with Pineapple and Green Peppers

2 small pkgs. cream cheese
    1 can crushed pineapple, drained throughly
    1/4 c. chopped onion (Sweet Vidalia if you can find them)
    1 sm. chopped green pepper
    salt

Soften the cheese to room temp. Add ingredients, mix and chill. Form into a ball. Some people will add chopped pecans to the mixture and also roll it in pecan bits. Serve with crackers at room temp.

I love this stuff. (I wish I had the ingredients right now!)

20. oldfashioned

oldfashioned Comrade

Apr 19, 2010

I'd love to see these recipes, please.

21. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Apr 20, 2010

Crab Dip
    1 package imitation crab
    1 8oz. of cream cheese
    onion powder to taste
    cocktail sauce

Mix crab, cream cheese and onion powder together. Form into a log. Place on platter-pour cocktail sauce over top. Serve with crackers.

My sis does this as well, but makes it warm in the crockpot. Yummo!!

22. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2010

I have a few ideas:

Lebanon bologna and cream cheese pinwheels is a super easy crowd pleaser around here.

Brie en croute with some kind of mustard or a spicy jelly.

I found a recipe for a Reuben dip in the crockpot and I am very intrigued, but there is going to be so much dip there.

I think we are going to go with grilled jalapeno poppers and stuffed mushrooms.

Grilled Poppers - make a slit in the jalapeno and scoop out the seeds. Stuff with cheese. Wrap in bacon and grill until bacon is cooked. (That's a sandra lee recipe and we love it.)

Grilled stuffed mushrooms - remove stems from mushrooms. Chop finely with jalapeno. mix with butter and pesto. stuff back into mushroom. Wrap with bacon and grill. yum!