Favorite and least favorite..

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by Mjohn78, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Mjohn78

Mjohn78 Rookie

Apr 1, 2006

What is your favorite part of teaching?

What is your least favorite part of teaching?

Also what grade/subject do you teach?

3. becky

becky Enthusiast

Apr 1, 2006

My favorite part of teaching is sharing all there is to be learned. My least favorite is all the searching and planning. I homeschool my K'er, who's 5.

4. AuburnTeach

AuburnTeach Companion

Apr 1, 2006

Favorite part: the "aha" moments when you can tell a student understands something that's been perplexing him/her

Least favorite part: all the new mandates our principal springs on us at the last minute

Grade I teach: first

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Apr 1, 2006

Favorite: Seeing a well-planned lesson work well.

Least favorite: All the things that pull me out of the classroom just to impress parents.

6. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Apr 1, 2006

Favorite? Just the actual getting in there and TEACHING! Watching my kids learn, and discover! Seeing that 'look' on a face when something 'clicks!' Thinking up new and innovative ways to get the lesson across. Laughing with them.

Least favorite? Dealing with unreasonable parents, paperwork, administrative nonsense, and disciplining students whose life goal was to keep as many other kids from learning as they possibly could.

That was then, in the middle school. Here is now:

Favorite: same as before. Add to that, no unreasonable parents whatsoever to deal with. One statement and they're gone: It's against the law to discuss a student.

Least favorite: plagiarists, students who skip and think they're going to get makeup work, and a hundred two and three page papers to grade every week.

7. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 1, 2006

Favourite: seeing the students learn, both the curriculum and that they can do it; having fun with the kids...laughing and enjoying our time together.

Least favourite: paperwork!!!!! kids who don't care or don't try; parents who are full of excuses for their children

I teach grade 5 this year, and will be teaching Special Ed next year (I guess I'd better get over paperwork as my least favourite part of the job!)

8. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 1, 2006

Favorite:
    Actually noticing that my teaching has made an improvement.

Least Favorite:
    Having to do yard duty & having to discpline/punish students when they are doing negative behaviors. Once I'm hired, I'm sure there'll be a few more things I'll hate doing!

Currently, I'm a student teacher (ST) in a 6th grade class, a sub & grad student. I want to be an elementary level RSP teacher.

9. Llama lady

Llama lady New Member

Apr 1, 2006

This is my first year teaching, after having substitute taught for 8 years. I think the job is wonderful. I teach Kindergarten. I wish they would let the kids play more at this age and learn thru play, but in my state, they don't. Being with the kids and singing silly songs, seeing how open they are to new ideas is just so much fun!

However, I am astonished at the amount of work outside of the classroom, I have to do. I literally am working 6 days a week. Everyone says your first year is your hardest, but I had no idea it would be this hard. I'm no stranger to work, I'm 55-this is my 3rd cycle of life. By that I mean, I worked for 20 yrs. prior to having my children late in life. I stayed home with them, subbing in their school, until this year (they are 14 & 15). The district required work won't disappear in 2 years, but all "new teacher" work that goes to clearing my credential will. That hope helps sustain me.

10. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

My favorite part--spending everyday with the most precious little kids you ever saw. Seeing the world through their eyes where everything is simple, and pure, and clean. Witnessing their joy when they learn something new. Feeling young because I am with the young everyday.

My least favorite part--knowing that no matter what I do or how hard I try sometimes there is a child who just doesn't get it. Having to explain to a parent that their child has this or that disability and will always be somewhat delayed.

Grade I teach--first grade.

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Apr 1, 2006

1stferg, you said that so beautifully and you hit the nail right on the head for me! Those are the exact same reasons I would put...........no need to repeat something that has already been said so perfectly! :)
    The only difference is, I teach K, not first.

12. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Apr 1, 2006

You know what, Kinderkids, we do have the greatest job!

13. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 2, 2006

I totally agree...in spite of the day-to-day frustrations and the fact that this is a 24-7 job, I wouldn't want to do anything else!

14. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Apr 2, 2006

My favorite part: Working with the kids and watching them grow in every way. You forget to look back and see where they started and ended- it is amazing!

My least favorite part is grading homework and listening to teachers gossip about kids and their families!

I teach first and second- I am going to be a permanent looping teacher.

15. cristyann_05

cristyann_05 Rookie

Apr 2, 2006

Im with Auburn Teach on this ...

My least fav.. the sometimes wild children lol... they really are great though

I am a student teacher ... pre k

16. Lainie

Lainie Companion

Apr 3, 2006

My favorite: Things like "Miss Lainie, could you pass me the froccoli?" I love that the kids come to me as babies and leave ready for kindergarten.

My least favorite: Parents who don't mind dumping their kids off ten minutes into my lunch break, parents who just won't help their child progress, and realizing for the first time ever that if you want to have kids, you should have to pass some kind of test.

I am a Head Start teacher.

17. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Apr 3, 2006

Favorite: I could list a ton I'm sure, but these are the two that pop into my head: Those "aha" or "lightbulb" moments when the students start to understand something that they didn't before and when a student tells me that he or she really enjoyed a lesson that I worked really hard planning.

Least Favorite: Uncooperative parents. Many parents are very cooperative, but there's always one or two that just wants to blame everything on the teacher/school and doesn't want to work with anyone to benefit their child.

I'm a long term sub. I was in a 4th grade classroom from Nov-March and now I'm in a 5th grade in the same school from March-June.

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 5, 2006

favorite- 'a- ha' moments of discovery

not favorite- some xo#%&* parents- make you wish their kids were orphans

19. Llama lady

Llama lady New Member

Apr 13, 2006

I think the thing I am most disappointed about with my class of K's are my parents. I only have one volunteer to help in the class, 2 more signed up, confirmed they would come and have never showed. It affects the quality of the activities we can do in class. My room mom seems to resent being called upon to do the school activities she signed up to do. We are having a school fair, which needs class volunteers for our booth-I have 2 signed up for a tolal of 1/2hr each. We have to donate a basket full of goodies for auction-my class has playdoh. I have received 3 donations and 2 checks. I know people work, have small kids, etc. But I am stunned at the lack of involvement. This is kindergarten. When my kids were in this grade the teacher had to beat parents away with a stick... Is this a common problem , or just my area?